Valve: HL2 Orange uses 94% of 360's power, PS3's boundary unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreekDNA

Newcomer
PSU: What is the primary advantage with the technologies for next-gen? Are there differences between the 360 and PS3 that you found aided you in the game?

Valve: We defintiely feel next-gen technology aided truly in our development process. You know---you have complexer AI, you have more characters to work with, an enhanced ability to work with the animations on a higher scale--all that stuff. The only difference between the 360 and PS3--which both as a collective helped us develop The Orange Box is definitely there. For the 360 version of the game, we can probably say we are using around 93-94% of the console's power given our current optimization. With the PS3, we can't exactly say what power cap we reached, since no developer really knows where the boundary is for the PS3. We can tell you that in terms of the whole game together on the PS3, we are not even using the SPU's and it is purely built on the graphics card and Cell. We're still optimizing for PS3 more because we can, which can explain the slight delay to you. But no worries, everything is going smoothly to put down any rumors.

Rest of the article here

http://www.psu.com/PSU-Interview--Half-Life-2-and-Team-Fortress-2--a1108-p1.php

Thoughts ? :oops:

It really doesn't make any sense, how could the PPU alone compete with the whole 360's CPU? :rolleyes:

Thoughts ?

The interview and quote are retarded and make no sense. There is no reference to who this "person" was at Valve even. Unless of course the entire Valve company got together for a sit down to answer questions.

SPU

With the PS3, we can't exactly say what power cap we reached, since no developer really knows where the boundary is for the PS3. [/B]We can tell you that in terms of the whole game together on the PS3, we are not even using the SPU's and it is purely built on the graphics card and Cell. We're still optimizing for PS3 more because we can, which can explain the slight delay to you. But no worries, everything is going smoothly to put down any rumors.

I think when he says not using the SPUs he means they are not optimized. Because he also says they are using Cell, not just PPE. Or maybe he means they are not using SPU "centric" design and are still on PPE "centric" design. So SPU use is not that great. I don't know, these are guesses. Or maybe he had too much to drink!

Im sick of seeing these Playstation superiority threads personally. Really tired of it. Not going to have a break down and find a machine gun with which to destroy work 'tired' but just wish this stuff wasnt posted or given so much attention. I mean absolutly no offense to the OP as perhaps you didnt know any better, but yet again this is more garbage that seems to be coming from an unending stream of obviously playstation bias/oriented websites with the goal of reducing the status of the 360. Not that 360 devs or Microsoft dont do their own things, but i find the Playstation propaganda far more common.

If a dev actually said those words i would have zero problem believing it was put purposely out of context, or of course left in at face value with absolutly no explanation of what they actually ment allowing the, normally clueless, reader to draw their own conclusion.

Either way this is a badly disguised vs thread which is against the rules.

In my opinion people like that author and those others who play the hardware superiority game due to having some sort of superiority complex are the scum of the console game industry.

Anyway, you all have a good night now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanna know how "valve" is answering question about a port that the EA is doing!

And if by any chance this is correct then the math doesn't add up. I doubt only an additional 2 weeks will let them optimize for the SPU's. Thus if true, the PS3 port is in trouble....

Btw, there's some question on the legitimacy of this interview from people at gaf. There is no indication as to who at Valve they are speaking to, and that EA, not Valve, is actually handling the PS3 port of HL2 Orange.

Btw, there's some question on the legitimacy of this interview from people at gaf. There is no indication as to who at Valve they are speaking to, and that EA, not Valve, is actually handling the PS3 port of HL2 Orange.

I was just reading gaf. I think the regulars are playing up the interview so the fanboys on both sides get heated up and go at it. Seems to be working!

So if it turns out to be the truth that an actual Valve developer stated such, does it really matter? Probably by tomorrows-end a Valve representative will release a PR statement softening the blow on whatever damage was done.

dont most of the ps3 launch titles hardly ever touched the SPUs? i can firmly agree a game at Orange box's graphics would hardly scratch PS3 but
im just curious the orange box would bring down a 360 to its knees. is 360's architecture not suited for their engine? surely Gears of war looked better?

Before this thread gets a nice lock, is there a real confirmation about the delay of PS3 Orange Box?
Last time I checked it was on track.
If I recall correctly Valve outsourced the PS3 port (maybe 360 also?) and a Gabe was not a big fan of the PS3.
I think (Canadian?) EA is doing the PS3 port, while Valve is handling 360/PC versions.

Im sick of seeing these Playstation superiority threads personally.
Well I'm sick of any discussion without substance personally. That said it's also unfortunate some people choose to object only one side of versus threads.

I think its bulls**t but if its not can't it be for its very physic based gameplay? Havok runs pretty good and its optmized for take full advantage of the SPUs. Or so I heard ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back