Valve announces best PC gaming idea of the year (so far)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Unknown Soldier, May 30, 2008.

1. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

We love it when companies just get it. Valve Software and its announcement of SteamCloud is a prime example. As reported by John Walker at Rock, Paper, Shotgun, SteamCloud will let anyone using Valve's Steam PC game download and networking service carry over saved game files, mouse, and keyboard configurations and other player-specific info regardless of where you log in. In other words, if you're at a friend's house and you want to jump into a game of Team Fortress 2 on his or her PC, all you need to do is log in to Steam and all your settings are there.

Mr. Walker outlined several other features Valve is working on for Steam, including automatic driver updates and a hardware-compatibility check to make sure your PC can play the games you're interested in before you make a purchase.

We've heard a lot of noise from other vendors, Microsoft specifically, about making it easier to play games on your PC, but no one else has come up with a solution that ties in so directly to the games you want to play. Best of all, Steam, SteamCloud, and all of Steam's community and player matching services are free via a simple download.

News Source: Valve announces best PC gaming idea of the year (so far) | Crave, the gadget blog - CNET

------------------------

Very kewl idea, and I have to wonder if they'll scan the config's for hacks too.

US

2. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Microsoft is going to buy Valve in the next coming years. I'm betting my left nut on this.

3. Scott_Arm

Legend

I have to say, this is a fantastic service. Seems Valve is doing a better job pushing the PC as a platform for gaming than MS. Live for the PC just hasn't taken off.

4. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

This is a great feature, but it kinda should have been included in Steam from the beginning.

5. sonix666

Regular

I am glad that Valve is still one of the driving forces behind PC gaming. Steam started of somewhat badly because of the many bugs and being near to death everytime a CS release was done. ;) But nowadays I can't think of a life without Steam. I still do buy certain games in the store, but I find myself more and more buying online from Steam. After reinstalling my PC, nothing is more easy than starting Steam to download my games and after a night of sleep everything is there.

Carrying over settings and save games looks like a great idea. When friends are coming over we always have to change keybord and mouse settings. Or after a reinstall I have to start all over or copy the save games manually to my new system. I am looking forward to this.

And next to that Valve still creates great games. My main multiplayer game next to WoW is Team Fortress 2. It is just brilliant and funny to play. :)

6. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I still don't like steam b/c I want a CD on my shelf, but I think they are doing good work and applaud valve for it.

7. Bludd

Veteran

The reason I don't like Steam is that it is a slow and clunky app. It's just not responsive enough and it's very tedious to do stuff.

8. suryad

Veteran

Steam is clunky? And slow? How so? i am running orangebox since I got it for 29 bucks and I never beat HL2 and the rest of the episodes so I am gamign with vengeance...but steam runs quick enough for me. What exactly are you trying to do with it?

9. Bludd

Veteran

You know, normal things like switching between tabs and stuff. It doesn't feel responsive.

10. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I found the best way of migrating steam to a new system is copying the entire Steam directory over, and then just running the SteamInstaller.msi. This carries over your saved games, settings, and game files too. Nothing to download but the updates to the steam platform itself.

If you want a dvd/cd of the games, use the backup feature to burn the images.

11. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I mean a pressed CD. Burned CDs don't really count IMO.

12. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

That is because MS tries to bundle everything with its software. Want to use this free app? than you need this new OS. People dont want to pay. The just want one app that works without having to make sure they have another list of stuff installed to make it work.

13. joker454

Veteran

Keeping save games is a great idea, but I wish they would implement some way to be able to sell games. I sell a game once I get bored of it, and I can't do that on steam without selling the entire account. Like with Dreamfall, I recently ebay'd it and got most of my money back, if I had bought it on steam I'd be stuck with it. These new features they talk about are great, but until they allow selling games I'll keep buying software in the store.

14. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Yes but obviously you reselling software would mean they lose money as the person buying it from you is giving you money and not valve. Personally I dont mind to much. I only buy games im pretty sure of i'm going to like and I often feel its not worth selling them. I sold some ds and wii games I didnt like and at best your going to get half your money back. Now I disliked SSX so much I though that was worth it but generally I preffer just keeping the game as you'll never know when you want to play it again and as I almost only buy games I know I will like I rather keep them, even if its just for emotional values. I had this with trading red steel for monkey ball (which sucks monkey balls) and I wish I hadnt.

15. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I have never sold a game. I just give them away if I do not like them. Still it is extremely upsetting to me when a company tries to close down the used market. I have bought a few used games, but not many to be honest, still I think it is counter to their arguments against piracy when they make reselling impossible.

16. joker454

Veteran

I get between 60% and 100% of my money back on ebay. For example, I bought Crysis at $30 in store and sold it at $30, bought Oblivion for $60 and sold it for $50, bought Dreamfall for $30, sold it for $22. I did a quick check on paypal to see how much I've made on selling old games recently and its over $400. If these were all on steam, it would be $400+ stuck in a steam account depreciating rapidly. So as cool as steam is, the lack of resale ability is a deal breaker for me.

17. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Well, reselling a game via Steam would be so ludicrously easy that it'd make a much more major impact on their sales than RL/Ebay resale, so I don't think it's very hard to figure out why they don't allow it...

Personally, the problem I've got with Steam is that it just isn't cheap enough. There are very few cases where I can't find the game cheaper via Play.com or Amazon.co.uk, including shipping fees - and to make things worse, my ISP(s) limit my downloads to ~30GB/month. Even if Steam was more convenient, which I don't really feel that it is right now, I just can't justify using it from a financial perspective.

18. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

a small little issue I have with steam, I don't have internet access at home (3rd world grade student room :)) so I still can't play CS:CZ (a friend offered me it so we could have a game of regular CS - spoiled by bad servers and intrusive in-game ads)

(what I have is a non-functioning wifi network which only allows HTTP proxy anyways, so no steam whatsoever)

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

If you buy a steam enabled game in the shop, you would still be able to use steam features like steam cloud, patches and friends, wouldn't you?

Steam still has a lot of good features, even if you aren't interested in the online store.

20. suryad

Veteran

I was surprised when my wireless hadnt finished connecting and I went ahead and turned HL2 on and the game would not start up because it could not log in to Steam. To be honest I thought since I had already activated it and logged on n number of times in to Steam with the smae account on the same machine to play the same game, it would allow me to play the same game without having to log in to Steam...because my wireless was down...huh...sucks!