UT3 profile/login problems

_xxx_

Banned
Whatever I do, I can't login to my user profile (which I have on Gamespy and it's active and working fine). That's less of a problem, but because of that I can't even make a local non-online account and thus can't save my single player progress either, which is just stupid. Seems like a bunch of people owning different versions of UT3 (mine is from steam) have similar problems. Does anyone know some solution? All I want to do is to make a valid local profile so I can play the campaign, I don't care about online MP.

Davros

Legend
i can log in but ive not installed ut3 under steam
also i havent got round to d/l ing the latest patch yet so i havnt tried joining an online game

Whatever I do, I can't login to my user profile (which I have on Gamespy and it's active and working fine). That's less of a problem, but because of that I can't even make a local non-online account and thus can't save my single player progress either, which is just stupid. Seems like a bunch of people owning different versions of UT3 (mine is from steam) have similar problems. Does anyone know some solution? All I want to do is to make a valid local profile so I can play the campaign, I don't care about online MP.

Yeah, there's loads of stupid crap you can try. The first thing is to realise that your UT3 login is not the same as your Gamespy login. Make a new profile from the UT3 screen, with a valid username/password and use that. You should be able to then play in offline mode.

If you still have issues, try deleting your .ini files (they will be in your My Documents\<username>\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config directory ) and allow the game to remake them as you restart (you may have to reenter your CD key).

You can also try the -nohomedir option on the executable. This disable the newer behaviour of putting each user's files/configs in their documents directory, and reverts to the older behaviour of one settings directory in the game directory.

Babel-17

Veteran
Great tip, thanks! I googled a bit just to confirm how to do this.

I have the game accessing it's own folders instead of the "My Documents" folders. Right-click your Unreal Tournament 3 shortcut and add -nohomedir to the end of the Target field so that it reads;
"drive letter:\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" -nohomedir

Insert your drive letter C, D, or whatever at the begining. And yes, there is a space before -nohomedir
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=174310

I appreciate this tip as it might save me some time when I have to switch out from the RC of Windows 7.

P.S. I have UT 3 installed to a USB drive. Formerly I knew of only one way to get the game working, without reinstalling it, after a clean install of Windows. That way was to use MS's Direct X updater.

But then I read that just clicking on "(Drive Letter):\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\Windows\UE3Redist.exe" was all I needed to do. This way did work for me. :)

Edit: I wish I had an answer for the OP's problem. Good luck with this.

_xxx_

Banned
Yeah, there's loads of stupid crap you can try. The first thing is to realise that your UT3 login is not the same as your Gamespy login.

Now how stupid is that? There is no way to enter two logins in there, or have I missed something?

Make a new profile from the UT3 screen, with a valid username/password and use that. You should be able to then play in offline mode.

I tried, but it won't allow me, whatever I choose it says "User already exists" or some such. I'll try it again tonight with some fake mail address, maybe that will work.

If you still have issues, try deleting your .ini files (they will be in your My Documents\<username>\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config directory ) and allow the game to remake them as you restart (you may have to reenter your CD key).

Already tried that and after the whole procedure with reentering and new config it changes nothing.

You can also try the -nohomedir option on the executable. This disable the newer behaviour of putting each user's files/configs in their documents directory, and reverts to the older behaviour of one settings directory in the game directory.

That's nice, I hate it when any app/game uses the user documents directory because I don't use it for anything at all. Thanks.

Davros: the steam version has the latest patch and Titan Pack included.

Now how stupid is that? There is no way to enter two logins in there, or have I missed something?

You don't use your ordinary Gamespy login. You make a new one from inside UT. The two things are different. You cannot go to Gamespy, make a login, and then use that in UT3. You have to make a new one from inside UT3. Forget you ever had a Gamespy-the-website login. You need to make a Gamespy-UT3 login from inside the game.

I tried, but it won't allow me, whatever I choose it says "User already exists" or some such. I'll try it again tonight with some fake mail address, maybe that will work.

Then you need to make a new one. Either someone has already used your nick, or the Gamespy system is playing up. You may have to make sure UT3 can get through your firewall. Throw some random numbers at the end, and it'll probably work. That's why you see so many player names with numbers off the end in the game.

Really, it sounds to me like you are trying to use your regular Gamespy login, when you need to make a new one from inside the game. It's dumb, but that's how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

_xxx_

Banned
Yes I meant inside UT. It won't let me make any sort of new user, when I try it says "nope" regardless of the username/pass I choose, gamespy login or any other random name/pass. It says something along the lines of "user already exists", can't remember the exact wording right now. UT is allowed in the firewall, Steam also.

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I just wish I could make UT3 remember my keyboard bindings... Every time I quit the game it forgets all the changes Imade and reverts back to standard WASD which I can't play with. Just they keybinds though. Screen res, other gfx settings, sound and all of that it remembers.

Weird!

Davros

Legend
try setting up your controls alt tab out and make the ini read only
although it doesnt happen to me your are loging in with a profile ? or is it creating a new one every time you launch the game ?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Not logging in... I had an UT3 profile once but forgot the login name/pass. Couldn't be bothered making a new one. Shoudln't matter I think, but I'll try making a new one when I reinstall the game next time. Right now there isn't space on my SSD for more games (onyl 60GB... ugh.)

I just wish I could make UT3 remember my keyboard bindings... Every time I quit the game it forgets all the changes Imade and reverts back to standard WASD which I can't play with. Just they keybinds though. Screen res, other gfx settings, sound and all of that it remembers.

Weird!

Either try the -nohomedir option or create a profile. Without a profile, UT3 won't remember things like your key settings or where you are in the single player ladder.

Davros

Legend
need some info my ut3 is version 1.3 but the patches are listed as patch 5, patch 4, patch 3 ect
how do i find out what patch i have / need ?

need some info my ut3 is version 1.3 but the patches are listed as patch 5, patch 4, patch 3 ect
how do i find out what patch i have / need ?

The most recent patch contains all the fixes of the previous ones, so you just need the latest. You should install the patch first, and then the Titan Pack (at launch we were told the Titan pack needs the patch to work properly).