USPTO declares Apple patent invalid.

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by I.S.T., Dec 10, 2012.

1. Pressure

Veteran Regular

That's a preliminary ruling. They aren't done with an reexamination of the patent.

Not sure a site named droid-life is the right source to quote from either ;)

2. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

3. I.S.T.

Veteran

I just saw it linked online *shrug* I have no smartphone, and given I have qualms with the way all three major smartphone vendors/OSes are doing things, I doubt I ever will. Ain't no bias from my point of view against one specific smartphone vendor/OS provider.

4. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I have no smartphone either, I've always hated phones and their crappy firmwares (esp. 8 or 10 years ago when they were slow and the provider wanted to make you their bitch, connected to WAP themselves when you looked at them, were already micropayment oriented and locked down)

Apple does this pretty and fast. Android looks better but has concerns too (privacy?, and a store full of crapware anyway). The third major OS?, we could troll about which it is (Symbian, Blackberry, ..?)

But, the future is not set, I may well be interested in a smartphone in the future. Waiting for 4G in all cheap phones, as I anticipate it lowering the cost of data down the road.. As for the OS, maybe Firefox OS will bring something interesting (it will waste a lot of CPU cycles with its full web thing but smartphones are used to go on the web anyway.)

Apple? lol, how long till they sue their customers. Funnily, if we don't like abuse of intellectual property I guess we'll have to buy chinese hardware, and a free OS. (With Firefox you will presumably be free from the OS : the actual OS layer can be anything, Firefox just runs on top)

#5 Blazkowicz, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

You shouldn't let that stop you. These gadgets are incredibly useful, I'm just scratching the surface of what my own can do, and I wouldn't ever want to be without it. The older "feature phones" as they're now called just can't hold a candle next to a smartphone.

6. I.S.T.

Veteran

Really, for the types of things I'd be interested in doing with a smartphone, I'd almost always prefer a tablet.

7. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Nokia and Sony patent trolling pays off in court; Apple to pay the price.

And Ist, while reading any longer text - such as when web surfing or digesting ebooks - is difficult on most phones, maybe not as much on certain giant 5"+ monster phones, many other things are quite easily accomplished on the 3.5" of an iPhone 4 for example (my model.)

I run Spotify a lot, I can pay my rent, phone, internet and cable TV bills with my bank's app as well as check my balance, transfer money etc of course. I run Skype at times when my ADSL connection goes down, I have a great weather forecast app, the public transport app for my region allows me to check schedules for bus, tram and train lines, another app to order movie tickets and check screenings at the city's cinemas, another app to listen to Swedish Radio over the net, or our state public TV channels. Checking the evening news while stuck on the bus home is a great timewaster. :) Apps like Nike Running can monitor times, routes and distances when training, PointCloud can show additional information about newspaper articles, TED talks gives access to all kinds of awesome stage presentations by supremely smart, knowledgeable, often funny people...

On and on. There's a ton of stuff that can very easily be done with a smartphone without needing a full tablet which is much harder to bring with you everywhere. Well, being female maybe you have a bag when out and about that could fit a tablet, but we guys... We generally don't carry manpurses, unless we're metrosexual and that doesn't include me. :)

8. NRP

NRP
    Veteran

I thought all Swedes carried man purses? LOL!

9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Oh no... Only ones named Peter Siepen. :razz:

10. I.S.T.

Veteran

I don't carry a purse. I really, really should. Fuck, everybody should, they're goddamned handy. A nice little bag to carry all sorts of shit.

But with my usages? I'd basically use it as a not fully featured laptop, something to use while I'm not at my desktop or to more easily share content with my family.

11. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Wow.

I'd say this harms the credibility of the MPEG-LA.
    As for what these companies are doing, first they steal tax revenues by registering their profits in places that are equally friendly to drug lords, now they use shell companies which can't be sued back because they produce nothing so they can't possibly infringe any patent. And what about high frequency trading, LOL.
    There's way too much organized crime, especially those of the legal kind.

12. I.S.T.

Veteran

Isn't the MPEG-LA considered kind of crap anyway?

13. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

It probably is, but I thought it was the best thing you could come up with if you wanted to support software patents. The h264 codec they license is very valuable and complex and at least can be used by whole industries, they don't go after open source software implementations by the way, I guess you should be sued if you're torrenting a linux mint ISO but they can't realistically do that.
    I'm only playing devil's advocate mind you. Software is already protected by copyright and trade secret, that should be enough.

I really can't wrap my head around patent 6,427,078 even though it's probably a "hardware patent".

It's basically "put a webcam on a mobile computer", with 76 claims and backed with a few drawings. Wait, a few trivial block diagrams, and mock ups, with a lot of numbers pointing to them. But there's no actual work involved in this.

I've got an idea, what about putting a cigarette lighter on a mobile device such as a phone or USB flash drive. Or a phone that integrates a corkscrew (I would probably need to file a claim where an application triggers the lighter's flame, or say you can scan the wine and have it identified by image recognition so you can be provided user ratings). So, I have to do paperworks and pay whatever thousands, then if that becomes a really huge thing I can bully companies into giving me millions.
    Yay, gonna do this.

14. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Some people have managed to install a full Linux on their smartphones, although I'm not sure how easy that process is, or how practical the result may be.

I don't have a smartphone either, but mostly because I feel the usefulness/price ratio is too low.

15. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Kind of important part from that patent / MobileMedia thing, and Sony and Nokia's stake in it:

And I thought this was an interesting (and scary) article:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...nd-those-who-hate-them-square-off-at-the-ftc/

16. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
  17. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

This high level patent war reminds me of the Dark Knight where Alfred is telling Bruce how his escalating confrontation with organized crime basically brought the Joker into being: "Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Apple let the genie out of the bottle.

18. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

There used to be phones with Linux out of the box, mainly the Nokia N900.
    You can probably install debian or something on many phones but I don't know how the driver support goes, if you lose gyros, webcam, accelerated video and 3D etc. and even the ability to call it's not very worth it.

So you probably need to keep the Android base instead and add the missing GNU environment (and maybe X11 server), as an app or in some kind of chroot/container. This way you get easy hardware support but that must be a bit memory hungry.
    "Ubuntu for Android" will be doing that.
    I read about Firefox OS and it will actually use a linux kernel that includes part of an Android's Linux kernel (specifically mentioned the GPS, camera and calls things). The OS is componentized too, the Linux low level is called "Gonk" and could serve as a base for using Linux on phone.

19. Pressure

Veteran Regular

So you are willing to forget the trolling of entire industries that went ahead of Apple even amassing the patent portfolio they have now?

The big baddie in the telecommunication sector is Motorola, the biggest troll of all.