Use of Custom Demo's In Reviews

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Dave Baumann, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

We've talked about using custom demos in reviews since this 3DMark stuff blew up. Brandon Bell over at FS has done just that with both Quake 3 and SS:SE - normally these reside in the playground of NVIDIA, but look at the order of the scores when a non-standard benchmark is used:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/msi_geforce_fx5900-td128_review/page8.asp

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/msi_geforce_fx5900-td128_review/page9.asp

Not exactly the orders we'd normally expect to see for these two benchmarks.

2. breez

Regular

Well that is interesting 8)

3. Natoma

Veteran

It's funny. I remember bringing up the possibility of Nvidia doing the same kind of driver "optimizations" for games that have timedemo systems, and being laughed at by some people for such a preposterous notion.

Well, my purchase decision has been made. Definitely voting with my wallet on this one.

4. LeStoffer

Veteran

5. sonix666

Regular

Dave,

besides the custom benchmarks, the following differences there are between this review and the last one they did:

- Serious Sam SE is run in quality mode instead of normal mode.
    - Quake III is run with the latest point release instead of the version they normally use for testing.
    - Quake III is run at 4x FSAA and 16x anisotropic filtering while their previous review didn't use those settings at all (as far as I can see).

So, the swapped places may actually be a result of the different settings than the custom demo. The Radeon 9700 against the Geforce FX always way much stronger in high quality settings in games.

Besides the differences there can be many differences between the standard demos and the ones they recorded, so different areas of the GPU might be differently stressed.

6. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Your idea wasn't shot down by many as I have also stated that nVIDIA WAS optimising for timedemos. I also had thought it was pretty obvious and that everyone had already known. Apparently not.

7. indio

Newcomer

I think this became obvious atleast to me when I saw the review over at Nvnews. Mike C. used Fraps and non-standard games and the 5900U scores weren't very impressive. Then if you look at other non standard games from other reviews like the NOLF2 getting beat by a 9700 pro it becomes quite obvious.

8. Tokelil

Regular

Didn't know that Nvidia supported 16x AF... :shock: :wink:

Anyway, I think you have a point... We need more tests to be sure that the scores are due to Nvidia "optimizing"...

9. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Do we have reason to believe they are not optimising?
    With the recent Futuremark events I am sure many people distrust nVIDIA to the point where any high scores with their hardware automatically results in them "optimising" and I for one am not surprised if that is the case 100% of the time.

10. jpeter

Newcomer

I just put a link to this thread in nvnews and automatically get erase.
    Why? Have just been moved to K.I.L.E.R thread. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13456)

This is what I wrote:

Interesting numbers for quake3 and SS:SE have been shown
    by Brandon Bell at FS.

Writen by DaveBaumann in beyond3d
    http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6459

quote:
    We've talked about using custom demos in reviews since this 3DMark stuff blew up. Brandon Bell over at FS has done just that with both Quake 3 and SS:SE - normally these reside in the playground of NVIDIA, but look at the order of the scores when a non-standard benchmark is used: http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardw...eview/page8.asp http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardw...eview/page9.asp Not exactly the orders we'd normally expect to see for these two benchmarks.

11. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Ouchers for nVidia.

I'm not really familar with firingsquad or the gentleman who did the review, but the numbers look pretty consistant to me and like whoever did it knew what they were doing....could someone vouch for the place?

12. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Read my post that I have made. :)
    It was near yours.

13. Sabastian

Regular

jpeter: The reason is that nvidia really took some lumps with their cheating on FutureMark and now it is being revealed that they are doing much the same "optimizations" in game benchmarks. The deletion of that post on the nvidia fan site "nvnews" sounds like damage control. If word spreads that nvidia is doing benchmark "optimizations" for games as well then it may result in the same sorts of accusations that FutureMark implied with their test, and that would be a very bad outcome for nvidia. Anyhow, not that you didn't realize why your thread was deleted so quickly, that is the reason, IMO of course.

14. Hellbinder

Banned

Ok I am having some problems with some of the other numbers in this review like these

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/msi_geforce_fx5900-td128_review/page12.asp

I simply do not believe that the Nvidia card is really doing AA+AF on this game. There is just no freking way that the Fx is going to be 39 FPS faster than the 9800pro with AA+AF applied.

I repeat.. NO WAY.

I find a couple other oddities in the numbers as well. Some of it can be accounted for becuase of the Nvidia cards Core Speed advantage. But..

15. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

His post was merged with mine as it was about the exact same thing. :)

16. Sabastian

Regular

heh, shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. I think I will go lay down now.
    :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

17. Reverend

Banned

FYI : Scott Sellers, when 3dfx was still around, wrote Kristof, Dave Barron and me the following, just after the release of that infamous 6.16 drivers back in Aug'2000 (GF2 GTS days) :

Four months later, 3dfx got swallowed by NVIDIA.

Just thought you guys may like to know how early I know about this kind of stuff ;) :) Later on, he asked me to record a new demo, to replace my Quaver demo.

18. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

I would like to see an auto-timedemo generator in games.

19. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Rev: I'm gonna sound insane saying this, but...
    What about trying what Scott said today? I don't think anyone ever did it, and I think it might give us a most excellent reality check.

If it was true, then we'd begin to really have a case against nVidia - enough evidence to either compeltely tarnish their reputation ( which I'd prefer not, because I'm still looking foward to the NV40, got good reasons to believe it'll be on time and much better than the NV3x ) , or make them stop all this darn crap.

I've got an Hercules GF2 GTS in one of my old PCs - don't have Quake 3 though. Is it possible to use that timedemo with a demo?

Uttar

20. SmuvMoney

Newcomer

Both the results for Nascar 2003 and IL-S have me scratching my head. These are probably the two games where you have the largest potential draw distances. The rest are FPS games IIRC, which don't always have a large draw distance unless you're in space. Before I claim any nV shenanigans, maybe some B3D brain trust/reasoning could chime as to why this could occur. Could it be possible that nV has better algorithms wrt draw distances than ATi? Could it be a case where less need/use of culling could have a significant effect memory or otherwise? I'm just speculatively rambling, so if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, you're right. :D Cheating isn't out of the question either, but I don't want to go down that route unless someone can provide hard proof.