Uplay DRM servers down for the count (again)

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Richard, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

So, just like last december, Ubisoft's DRM servers couldn't handle the load caused by Steam sales and were down most of the weekend. New players couldn't register thus play their new game. Existing members couldn't login to play their existing games.

yes, yes, yes. This is nothing new and while Ubisoft can't use the excuse of being unprepared for the Steam sales (again) the point I'm trying to bring to light is:

DRM server can't handle the load caused by people buying something on the DRM-based store. Why are the Steam versions of Ubisoft games still required to use Uplay? Double the DRM is just like doubling Firewalls.

Ubisoft is paying more money for more servers/bandwidth to provide (them) a security that Steam already provides. If they don't care at all about customer experience why can't they care for their own bottom line?

2. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

So what? their games still sell, and diablo 3 with tons of problems and always-online SP sells even more.
    Their is much bitching and moaning but nothing ever changes, seems even the contrary, the more companies kick their customers the more successful they are.
    Guess bad (but free) press is better than no press.

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I assume they retain their shitty DRM to not have to maintain two different versions of their games, with and without shitty DRM.

This is why I never buy Ubi games.

4. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

There was actually a few games this Steam sale I passed on due to Ubi DRM.

5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

There's a whole bunch of Ubi stuff I have been forced to ignore, I would have bought HOMM 6 ages ago if it hadn't been for their crappy DRM shit for example. I'm trying to cost them as much money as possible, although I'm sure they don't care the slightest.

6. Davros

Legend

They dont care look at the recent future soldier mess, the game didnt support a keyboard and mouse

7. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

/off topic

multi stage firewall inet gateways are extremely common and valid design :lol:

/continue valid comments :smile:

8. Snyder

Regular

Tell me about it. So sad, since they have a really interesting portfolio.
    The Ubisoft Bundle hurts me most.
    Instabuy: From Dust, HOMM6, Rayman Origins.
    Always wanted to try them at budget price: RUSE, Driver SF, SC: Conviction.
    Could be fun: AssRev.
    Even BG&E would have been nice since I can't find my old copy anyway.

But after having recently been burned by online DRM (albeit GFWL) with Arkham City and its disappearing saves, and after finding that apparently they still haven't got their act together with UPlay...
    well, after looking at my growing Steam library of unplayed gems, it seems I don't really have the time anyway. :)

9. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I don't get it, I've played Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood without logging in to the uplay servers.
    All it happens is that I don't get access to some online features.

Which games get blocked in offline mode?

10. green.pixel

Veteran

There are too many many people out there willing to play average and bad games. They can afford not to give a damn about the customer experience on PC side of the busines because the console audience will buy their games in droves just because they have shiny production values.

#10 green.pixel, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  11. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, you need to update any Uplay installations due to a pretty bad security hole, ie, visit a website and have your whole machine rooted via the Uplay browser plugin.

Edit: Here's an updated article

12. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

AFAIK the hole only ("only"...) allows running software installed locally on that machine, and what default software can be remotely launched to allow rooting of said box?

13. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Not difficult to have a browser/ftp download malware or rootkit and then install. Or just plain old format of your hard drive.

14. Richard

Veteran

Not rooting but you wouldn't be happy:

Code:
    diskpart | select disk 0 | clean all
    EDIT: do NOT try this, it will zero your entire first partition.
    EDIT2: actually, the piped commands would need to be in a script file and accessed with the /S switch. Here are the correct commands:

ECHO select disk 0 >> script.txt
    ECHO clean all >> script.txt
    diskpart /S script.txt

15. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Install automatically without triggering UAC, really? That'd be surprising, IMO, considering MS's focus on security these past couple years... Anyway, does windows really have a FTP client built in? I did not know that.

Yeah, but that's not gonna root your box though. It's just a mean ole griefing troll of random users...

16. Richard

Veteran

UAC in Windows 7 was nerfed whereas the default setting allows one to change it without itself triggering a UAC prompt. It's not trivial but it's nothing a determined adversary couldn't bypass. Basically, when using Windows 7, setting UAC to anything but highest settings has the same practical effect as disabling it. Highest setting equals Vista's "on" setting which means UAC prompts every 5 seconds. :runaway:

17. Davros

Legend

kudos to them for actually getting a publisher to talk, but they still let them get away with not answering questions properly

18. I.S.T.

Veteran

It's that or they storm out of the interview. *shrug* These are trained PR people, not like you can grill the fuck out of them.

19. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Just goes to show what a bunch of truth-dodging lying bastards they are - and not to be trusted...