Upgrading strategy in light of the new Next-Gen videocards?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by François, May 7, 2004.

1. François

Newcomer

Hello,

There are many different things to consider and I need some advice. I think I may be in a situation that many are in right now:

Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz (533 Mhz bus)
    Asus P4PE Mobo (agp 4x)
    Antec True Power 380w power supply
    1Gb Ram
    GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB (time to retire for good)

I want to buy an next-gen videocard, however:

a) With my current system, I could buy an X800Pro or X800 Platinum edition, and use it right away in my PC. However I'd use the card only as agp 4x (it says it right on the X800pro that it is Agp4x/8x compatible). When new mobos with PCI express will come out, I will be stuck with an AGP card.

b) If bought an X800 and used it in my current system, would I be bottlenecked by my processor/bus speed?

c) I could upgrade my mobo and processor right now at the same time, however PCI Express is coming, where are the motherboards?

d) And the new pin layout on the AMD64 bit is not out yet, so I can't even make a move on the processor / mobo at the present time.

It seems I am stuck. I'd like to buy the best card on the market but I am unsure I can do it in my current system.

Advice?

Thanks

François

2. Tahir2

Veteran

This is in the wrong forum.

My answer:
    You should be able to upgrade using your current mobo without issue.
    PCI-Express will be available very shortly (about 60 days or so) and ATI are ready with the R423 from what I have heard. VIA are ready with their PCI-Express motherboard and AMD are ready with their Socket 939 processor (May 25th launch date).

PCI-Express will not buy you any extra performance apparently for games this generation (ATI have pretty much stated this).

Personally I would buy the graphics card in its AGP form and not worry about PCI-Express for a year. If you upgrade less frequently then I would wait until June/July time and buy a new mobo, gfx card, CPU.

Hope this helps.

3. jvd

jvd
    Banned

I have a 2500+ athlon xp .

i'm going to get the xt

then around x mass or jaunary i am going to go a64.

Pci e doesn't bother me . the motherboard i buy iwll be agp and i'm sure they will make chips for it for at least a year after i buy it .Not only that but the chips should still work on a pci mobo.

So i figure x800xt . in 8 months new cpu mobo , a year or so after that go pci e

4. Ostsol

Veteran

I'm gonna save up for a full upgrade. In addition to the new video card, at the very least I'll probably be wanting to get a motherboard with PCI-Express, an Athlon64 CPU, and faster RAM. Some other things I'd want are a new, bigger monitor to take advantage of high resolutions (at least 1600x1200@85Hz), plus a larger hard-drive. While I'm at it I might as well upgrade to a better case with a bigger power supply (right now I'm at 300 watts). By the time I can buy the minimu, ATI should have its next part out. :p

5. François

Newcomer

Tahir, jvd,

do you think my current system is sound enough to take advantage of the new cards? It is difficult for me to predict since my videocard was such a bottleneck in FarCry for example

Thanks

François

6. Eronarn

Newcomer

Yeah, the rest of your system can handle it fine. But wait for the PCI X800's (X880, was it?) and get a PCI mobo.

7. Tahir2

Veteran

At the moment even the fastest CPU's from Intel and AMD starve the new cards. This situation is likely to remain the same for a while. Your particular system is very powerful as it stands and is comparable to the fastest systems out there.

IMHO... upgrade the system later, the performance difference you will see will be much larger. Upgrade the gfx card now (going from a Ti4400 to an X800 is going to be the biggest jump in visual performance period for yourself.

8. mozmo

Newcomer

new via K8T800 pro boards suppors both agp 8x and pci express and in some sample boards, they both contain an agp socket and pci 16x socket, so if you do buy an agp based board you should be able to use it in next gen athlon64 boards and then later if you upgrade your video card, you can then decide whether to utilise pci-express. It's good that mobos will suport both, gives a good migration path for people upgrading.

9. François

Newcomer

Tahir,

Thank you for your input I appreciate it.

Ever since I purchased my first and only ATI card (ATI 64, a long time ago) and was severely disappointed because of lack of good drivers, I had promised myself to never purchase an ATI product again.... The Geforce2 GTS 32mb with its great set of drivers had proven to be a much better card which lasted me a long time.

But now I am seriously considering the ATI X800 P.E. If it were not for the PS3.0 thingy, my mind would be set.

Just imagine if a killer game gets out and relies on PS3.0, and nVidia continues to release better and better drivers... ouch that would suck.

Thanks

François

10. Eronarn

Newcomer

The situation's completely reversed. Now ATI is the one with the mature drivers, and Nvidia is the one trying to catch up after all the optimization bullshit.

And don't worry about PS3.0. I am willing to bet good money that it won't become an actual requirement for running any game for five years at least as opposed to an option. And probably about three years before it's an option on most games.

11. {Sniping}Waste

Regular

I have seen some AMD 939 boards with the new VIA 8KT800pro with both AGP and PCI express.

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Nothing coming out in the near future is going to require ps3.0. There may be a few titles that benefit from it, but it will be a couple years before you see any games designed from the ground up with ps3.0 in mind.

There is an installed base of exactly 0 ps3.0 cards right now, and dx9c isn't out yet. That's not a big target for developers to aim for just yet.

13. Sabastian

Regular

Yeah, I would say the best and most cheap way to get more out of your current system would be to upgrade your video. But you are in for a disappointment though if your mobo only supports 4X AGP. I don't think that you could use the X800PE. You might do well though to purchase a Radeon 9800 XT at reduced prices. If you really had your heart set on a higher performing GFX card you would have to upgrade your mobo and stuff.

14. Sandwich

Regular

Re: Upgrading strategy in light of the new Next-Gen videocar

I take it this machine has not originally been intended as a gaming rig? That 4200 should never have found it's way into a 3.06Ghz machine otherwise.

I agree with Sabastian to get a r9800. Or better. Then when you finally upgrade to PCI-e you can buy an X800 and you won't have to worry about upgrading again it for a little while.

15. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

what rubbish are you spouting there? AGP 8x does about exactly squat for performance. Using a 9700Pro on AGP4x for 18 months now, why wouldn't an X800 or 6800 be the same?

16. I.S.T.

Veteran

He didn't mention anything about performence, Randell, only that he thought the x800 wouldn't run in an AGP 4X slot.

17. Sabastian

Regular

Yep..

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/specs.html

18. thegrommit

Newcomer

What that doesn't tell you is that it is also AGP 4X compatible:

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjEwLDg=

19. François

Newcomer

Sandwich,

it was a gaming rig. I missed a generation upgrade (GF Fx, Ati 9700/9800).

I was able to play most games with my ti4200 until Deus Ex2 / Far Cry came along

Thanks

20. Sabastian

Regular

I am not going to argue if it is or not. I would suggest that it isn't compatible despite the [H] review. AGP 8X voltage requirements for the X800XT may be a bit much for a 4X AGP board. This core is a native PCIe part being made compliant with AGP spec AFAIK. I don't know the details well enough to actually refute the idea that the card is AGP4X compliant though and if it is then that is great. Unless that is a typo @ ATIs X800 specification page and [H] is right. Could be ether way. For now I will take the spec page at face value unless someone else is able to prove otherwise.