Upgrading from Windows 1.0 through 7.

nintenho

Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnehDhGa14

Impressive, it's a very extensive demonstration of windows' compatibility.

Video really makes me feel old though. The first OS I got to play around with was 3.0 but when I was seven, 95 came out and that was when I first learned how to actually use a computer. I can imagine how shocked kids today would be seeing this video, taking for granted their smart phones and broadband internet.

Lol I watched this last night on a different site! Pretty amazing that you can upgrade all the way and still keep your old programs and actually have them still working!

That's quite amazing, especially to those of us who started with PC's around the DOS 3-5 era and seen all of that. I can't believe the upgrades worked all the way back to windows 1.0

But.
On what hardware ?!
I'm pretty sure 98 had bug when installing on "too fast" cpus (like k6-2 over 400MHz, or was it k7 over 800?)
PS: VM, so no hardware compatible wtih all Windows versions :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha it would be fun if somebody would try to do all these upgrades on 1 system. Windows 7 needs atleast a 1ghz cpu with 1gb of ram though I don't know if there is a built in check. Maybe do some downclocking if the system is too fast? Though from 2000 on you will be fine and dos doesn't care either what it runs on so I guess it probably won't be too hard.

But.
On what hardware ?!
I'm pretty sure 98 had bug when installing on "too fast" cpus (like k6-2 over 400MHz, or was it k7 over 800?)

98 will most definitely install on much faster systems than that.

But.
On what hardware ?!

It was Windows 95 which had that problem. K6-2 375MHz was enough not to install it:cool:. If my memory doesn't fail me then there was a patch which sorted it for 95 SR2.

But this video is not about doing it on one computer but more about setting and application preservation between various Windows builds when doing upgrade installation.

I think W2K actually allows you to back up your personal settings to a floppy or pendrive. You can then import them to your upgraded install.

I used windows 98SE on my xp2400+ with 768MB, back then I didn't want to throw out the DOS games collection carried over since the early 90s.
XP's support is lackluster with incompatible titles, very limited sound support and no networking.

booting, shutting down, launching lightweight applications such as winamp 2.x and windows media player 6.x was also lightning fast, similar to using bloated software and a SSD :).
that machine could have run all OS shown here, if it hadn't suffered a stupid death.

Back