Upgrade advice-ATI Xpress 200

sphanlon

Newcomer
I only know and can do slightly more than the average pc owner. I recently bought an HP Media Center and it came with an ATI Xpress 200 card. I didn't know what it was at the time, but it was ATI and everything else on the PC was pretty beefy, so I thought it had to be pretty good. Now I find that it is onboard or integrated or however you say it. Even if it is the best of such boards, it still is what it is. I was wondring what I should upgrade it to. Can I only use another ATI card? Will they work complimentary somehow or do I need to someway disable the Xpress 200? I want to play mostly EA Sports games. What is best? I heard EA is in with Nvidia and ATI cards don't work so well with EA games, is that true/still true? Sorry if I sound stupid or ignorant here.

Wellcome sphanlon :)

Onboard or integrated graphics is OK for most small office or home office applications but not good for 3D games.
Question: what kind of video slot is available? AGP or PCI-e?
I dont know about EA sports games but my guess you can buy any Nvidia or ATI card compatible with the video slot and just install the correspondent driver.

You can upgrade it with any card which will fit your AGP or PCI-E slot (whichever you have). The onboard gfx gets automatically disabled when a gfx-card is detected in a slot, so nothing to worry about.

You may already know this and accounted for it in your answers, but this thing I guess isn't really a card, it's a chipset. What does that even mean? Is the PCI-E slot built in to it?, it makes it sound that way on the ati website. They pretty much say you can upgrade it with another ati board, Are they lying, will an Nvidia work? Thanks a lot for your help.

I only know and can do slightly more than the average pc owner. I recently bought an HP Media Center and it came with an ATI Xpress 200 card. I didn't know what it was at the time, but it was ATI and everything else on the PC was pretty beefy, so I thought it had to be pretty good. Now I find that it is onboard or integrated or however you say it. Even if it is the best of such boards, it still is what it is. I was wondring what I should upgrade it to. Can I only use another ATI card? Will they work complimentary somehow or do I need to someway disable the Xpress 200? I want to play mostly EA Sports games. What is best? I heard EA is in with Nvidia and ATI cards don't work so well with EA games, is that true/still true? Sorry if I sound stupid or ignorant here.

It might be easier if you give the model related to that HP Media Center, so that we can check on the hardware and give you the proper suggest ;) You can point to the HP web page that shows your media center model too. The ATi Xpress 200 is only a chipset, but we need to know what kind of motherboard that was installed in your media center PC. If the motherboard has got either PCI, PCI-e or AGP, any kind of video card that can be installed to your system would work.

Regards,

If its a Xpress 200 then its PCI-E and not AGP. You can install any PCI-E video card you want. The advantege in getting a ATI video card is you can use both the ATI card and the intergrated video at the same time powering 3 dispalys at the same time.

Back