upcoming 260 series drivers

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Secessionist, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Secessionist

Banned

I heard they fix DX7 issues, which is good, means nvidia's on the right track, but what about 16 bit color and wbuffer issues? Will they be fixed too?

I heard that nvidia already emulates the wbuffer. Is that true? If so, then why is it still broken? I noticed that in rivatuner early z-occlusion culling can't be disabled. Does that affect games that use the wbuffer in anyway?

Nvidia's drivers are pretty damn good overall though.

Finally, is there anyone here who works for or has connections to nvidia's drivers team? I thought there might be, but wasn't sure--there's someone here (Dave Baumann) from ATi.

2. Davros

Legend

swayee is the guy to ask about earlier dx fixes

ps: I think it was you, but shadowman uses a zbuffer not a wbuffer

3. Secessionist

Banned

I will ask swayee. Thanks for the info:)

4. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

No don't rely on me for these things. I'm as clueless and lost in the world as anyone else here. ;)

Best bet is to:
    1) Look for homemade patches. Some games have been fixed. Dark-engine games, Unreal engine games, Jedi Knight come to mind with reworked renderers.
    2) Source ports (Freespace 2, Doom, Quake, etc)
    3) Look for your broken game on Good Old Games because they get some games patched to be saleable. (ie Arx Fatalis)
    4) Ask on the game's forum (surely there is one somewhere) about workarounds.
    5) Make yourself a box with period-appropriate hardware.

5. Davros

Legend

wasnt it you that posted on vogons that the latest nv drivers contain dx5/6 fixes

ps: whats up with arx fatalis ive just run it (not gog version, Patch v1.17) and it seems ok

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

No it was someone else on VOGONS that said the new drivers fixed things.

Arx Fatalis works ok on the 1.17 patch but some stuff doesn't get textured because the original textures are non power of two (apparently that doesn't work anymore). And there are some weird problems with the lighting engine that they fixed apparently. Here's a link to a post with an archive of the changed files in 1.19.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129779& (1.18 -> 1.19)