Unreal Tournament 3

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Richard, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Just saw on Blues that the demo is coming "within two weeks".

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Wake me when they get AA working with it please. ;)

3. N00b

Regular

I you have the time to notice the lack of AA while playing, UT3 is the wrong game for you anyway. :razz:

4. AlBran

AlBran Just Monika
    Moderator Legend

I thought the AA option was only being supported in Vista's D3D10 mode. IIRC, it was a comment from Tim in an interview from way back.

5. cloudscapes

Regular

anyone else notice how many devs are jumping on the "its a beta" bandwagon? :D

not blamign them or anything. jus tan observation. it's cool we get to test this!

6. digitalwanderer

Legend

If you can't notice the lack of AA in any game at any time, you're not very discriminating in your viddy quality. :razz:

7. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

Well, you probably will notice it, but then you'll disable AA to get faster frame rate anyway, I mean, if you want to play UT well... :)

8. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Epic did themselves absolutely no favours releasing this demo with such low resolution art assets. Everything is a blurry, jaggy mess. Twenty minutes is enough to give me a headache. I know there's a UT game in there trying to get out, but I'll be damned if I can see it properly.

The Unreal games have always had a visceral, visual impact - they've always looked great. This demo just looks like... well... shit. I can't see that anyone is going to buy the game and then play it at these settings, so it's a pretty poor demo.

#8 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  9. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

Hmmm, i think my age is showing, I cant seem to enjoy the demo.

10. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

It's nice to play Unreal Tournament with enhanced graphics, but with TF2 out already... Unlikely I'll buy it...
    I'm still gonna play the demo from time to time.

11. Kanyamagufa

Regular

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. It drove me crazy! I couldn't understand why it looked so blurry and drab.

I'm not giving up on the game, but there should have been a visual quality disclaimer. :roll:

12. AlBran

AlBran Just Monika
    Moderator Legend

Maybe it's because they didn't want to make a 2GB download, but hey lots of people would download that much anyway, right? If only everybody had super computers and also high bandwidth connections... bleh.

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=11087

13. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

If they could realse a patchthat add the high res textures for the graphic enthusiasts and to calm down the uppset ones. Although as it is right now isn't that bad but could be much better. I would rip it down the intarwebs in 1000sec if it is 2GB! :razz:

I wonder though those that say the textures are horrible (not the ones who says they are bad) think about the textures in console games...

Neverthless the game is fun and I can remember when I had this much fun in a mp game.... It's hip to be square! :nerdglasses:

If you see me online say hi im ElMonoNR5.... :smile:

14. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yeah, but it still not a good advert for the game. I can't see any FPS player wanting to buy it based on the image quality of this demo. It actively does a disservice to the game. The demo is supposed to excite the target demographic, get them all whipped up into a frenzy and preordering the full game. This doesn't.

Sure, a couple of gigs is a lot to download, but then so is 750 megs of the current demo. If you're not going to have problems downloading 750 megs, you're not going to worry about doing double or triple that for one of the most anticipated PC games of the last couple of years.

I'm someone who has played UT games ever since they were Unreal Multiplayer. I've had an iteration of the UT game on my hard drive since then (nearly ten years) and this demo all but killed my interest in the game. I just thought "all this excitement and anticipation... for this?" This isn't like the UT/UT2K3/4 demos that we all played frantically in advance of the full release arriving. This isn't even enough to see what the hell is going on. There are games that look better than this on mobile telephones. Where are the beautiful maps, the lush visuals? In terms of hyping the full game and getting people interested, it's garbage. It's only the past history of the UT games that gives me any confidence that Epic haven't made a big, big misstep with UT3. It's a demo that I have to remove from my buying consideration, because if I didn't, I wouldn't even be thinking about buying this game.

15. kyleb

Veteran

Thing is, I know UT2k3's demo had reduced texture resolution and I'm pretty sure UT2k4's demo did as well, but those demos still managed to be visually impressive for their time thanks to everything else that went into the game. If all the full version of UT3 has going for it is higher resolution textures, considering the demo, I can't imagine being impressed.

16. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I am really wondering about what environments they'll come up with. A new Facing Worlds? Deck 18? Heh. That's what I'm pumped about. And I am just all for a new UT in general. I really want to see what they did with the singleplayer.

And honestly the graphics of the demo just didn't slap me across the face with some ugly stick. They are decent, IMO. And the game runs super well, unlike other stuff. It probably runs as well as the ugly-as-heck way-less-sophisticated GRAW 2. Super ungodly better than Oblivion (hitch jerk load hitch). Better or as well as Bioshock (and it may look as good or better than Bioshock in this demo).

17. accidentalsuccess

Newcomer

geez guys it's a BETA demo. Wait for the real demo before you get totally turned off. heh

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Yeah I cant believe people complain about the textures for a beta demo with a size of 750MB. I mean if Epic would have put lots of 1024*1024 and 2048*2048 textures in there then it would have been a ~2GB demo!

[​IMG]

19. digitalwanderer

Legend

They did themselves no favors by releasing this low-res version. With no AA & low-res it just looks like too much shite for me to enjoy it. :(

20. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

You guys must be playing a totally different game to me :???:

It looks frickin excellent on my PC, basically a dead ringer for Gears of War graphics. Is Gears of war no longer considered good any more?

An granted i'm playing at 1920x1200 but I haven't noticed a shed of aliasing.