Unreal Tournament 3 360 dated

Great game, I love the 4 player co-op online and the fast paced action with vehicles. Although mod support is really nice (some great stuff out there) it is worth buying especially if you want split-screen which is a nice addition. Epic angers me buy not adding to those of us who already bought it. We know the engine can do it (Army of Two), I guess they are adding value for double dippers.

Why do I get the sense that Blockbusters is going to end up out-of-stock for a few weeks. ;)

Why do I get the sense that Blockbusters is going to end up out-of-stock for a few weeks. ;)
For the Gears stuff? Wouldn't gamers just watch net rips? We're far more tech savvy than getting in your ye olde automobile and actually driving to the video store.

Exactly when expected. The six month exclusivity deal with Sony ended May 31. I figured give a month to do some marketing, and it'd be Jun 30. So I was off by a week.

Look forward to this, may be a rare summer purchase for me.

Is there much appeal for UT3 without mods? From what I've heard about the game, it's the modding that people love about it most. If the XB360 version hasn't got that, it's 'just another shooter' no? Or am I missing something?

Is there much appeal for UT3 without mods? From what I've heard about the game, it's the modding that people love about it most. If the XB360 version hasn't got that, it's 'just another shooter' no? Or am I missing something?

Seeing that having mods avaiable on the PS3 didn't do crap for sales, I think outside of the development community and the very hardcore gamers who experiment with such, it's irrelevant to sales. People don't pick up console games to "work" on them. They just want to play.

People don't pick up console games to "work" on them. They just want to play.

The PS3 version does not create mods, it plays them. It adds value, so it adds sales. Free mutators, levels, models, etc. are a great selling point to anyone who can master a thumb drive.

The reason for low sales on all platforms is the lack of innovation, the game differs very little from UT2004 and is even missing features. The PS3 version also came out at the worst possible time and the patch took three months. Epic ultimately can't do more than one project at a time and it shows.

Great game on any platform and the PC/PS3 version can be found for $20-$30.

People don't pick up console games to "work" on them. They just want to play.
I meant playing the mods as a consumer. Get UT3 on PC or PS3 and you don't just get the existing shooter, but a load of variations, like the Mario/Bionic Commando type 2D scrollers, making it more than just another shooter. Without these mods, where exactly does the appeal, the USP, of UT3 lie, and why will anyone choose to buy and play it versus all the other options out there? Are FPS fans happy to put down H3 and COD4 and take up UT3 because it's something different?

hm... even so, was the transfer of mods ever smoothened out on PS3? IIRC, you had to transfer them via USB stick.

Epic would do well to have some sort of internal server that they can hook into Live to offer downloads.

Modding on XB360 is going to be strictly limited to Epic created official one's, right? I know they're not doing proper mods. In which case an integrated Live! download system is going to be the only option.

I was thinking that Epic would be able to choose mods to put on such an internal server, but yeah, it seems the only option that MS might begin to agree to.

I meant playing the mods as a consumer. Get UT3 on PC or PS3 and you don't just get the existing shooter, but a load of variations, like the Mario/Bionic Commando type 2D scrollers, making it more than just another shooter. Without these mods, where exactly does the appeal, the USP, of UT3 lie, and why will anyone choose to buy and play it versus all the other options out there? Are FPS fans happy to put down H3 and COD4 and take up UT3 because it's something different?

Well, UT is a different type of game, very different (and faster) than tactical shooters, and even futuristic shooters like Halo. If you're a fan of really classic MP modes, like DM or CTF, UT does it very well, even if the 360 version is probably slowed down, like the PS3 version.

Though I suspect that the people who like that sort of 'hardcore' FPS probably prefer to do it on the PC.

Edit:I'm not saying, mind you, that UT3 is going to sell well (or poorly) on the 360. Just that it's a different flavor of shooter, a flavor that no one really makes anymore. And, I suspect, a flavor no one really plays anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
July 7th makes for an interesting time frame, I guess they want to hit the market when the market is less burdened by new releases, therefore not getting drowned out like during the Christmas season. Too bad it probably won't be any better than the PS3 version.

Back