Unreal Engine 5 Tech Demo, Release Target Late 2021

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by mpg1, May 13, 2020.

1. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

I think that there will be a happy medium in graphic quality and storage needed that will look very much like the same quality except at zoomed in levels.

Epic wanted to show off what there tech could do for all there customers including non game developers.

goonergaz likes this.
  2. SlmDnk

Regular

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2125236

3. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Andrew Lauritzen was credited by Brian Karis in working for Nanite, but he doesnt post a lot lately.

function likes this.
  4. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

I supposse the engine will convert the original model in the max usable by the engine and that will be what is saved in the game file. That and maybe they have their own compression method above Zlib/Kraken.

5. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

That's what I suspect. I also suspect big AAA games will still do a lot of optimising and what they do current gen. It's mainly AA and indie devs who will benefit greatly from Unreal V.

6. Entropy

Veteran

The twitter post that is referenced as a response tacitly admits that this is something of an issue. (It says that developers will design to existing limitations without saying anything about what that actually means. Well, duh.)
    Of course it will be handled. Businesses need to sell their product, and other than the initial phase of the new console gen, excessive size will be an argument against purchase. What consequences that will have remains to be seen.
    It would have been interesting to hear a number attached to the demo - "these two minutes have a storage footprint of xxxGB". The absence of that angle when they were beating the huge poly count drum hard, was rather conspicuous.

function, PSman1700 and John Norum like this.
  7. chris1515

Veteran Regular

They did an amazing stuff about the technology. They tried to ask to dev what they think it is. And it seems the biggest innovation is not the software REYES renderer but the compression and data format they used. This is a fun site created about this and the proposal of dev about the UE 5 secret sauce.

https://www.mousefingers.com/nanite/NaniteTech.html

This is probably a huge upgrade and Epic will take years of advance compared to all engine.

disco_ and jlippo like this.
  8. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Yes, there is no reason to keep object in its original format.
    I would also expect there to be lossy retopology and compression during import.

Internal format should allow varying level of detail to be loaded from single object and be highly compressible.

Getting something like this to be production ready must be huge amount of work.
    I really doubt it's as simple as many of us are suggesting.

I cannot wait to hear more about their tech in future and hopefully we will find about possible dead ends the research found along the way.

#748 jlippo, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    PSman1700 likes this.
  9. John Norum

Newcomer

All those drives have advanced thermal solutions with big fans, copper heatsink. I wonder how could Sony cooling down its SSD in a little warm box

PSman1700 likes this.
  10. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

PC essentially already surpassed ps5 in that area but is expensive, end of the year we see 7gb/s consumer drives though.

This looks interesting also, Optane that exceeds the aorus drive in speed

https://blocksandfiles.com/2020/01/09/intel-pcie-v4-support-optane-ssds/

Doubt any game will be optimized for such a drive though, bar star citizen where consoles dont have to be considered.

11. John Norum

Newcomer

Maybe Flight Simulator 2020, to be maxxed it needs 150GB on a fast SSD. it streams a lot of giant assets

PSman1700 likes this.
  12. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Now i see the point of add-in ssd drives. Maybe even ’cartridges’ where you buy the game on a drive.

John Norum likes this.
  13. Recop

Veteran Newcomer

Indeed : https://wccftech.com/tim-sweeney-ex...-architecture-is-way-more-efficient-than-pcs/

14. John Norum

Newcomer

I was thinking the same thing, when the cost will be low; a little nice cartridge would be lovely and fast

PSman1700 likes this.
  15. Pressure

Veteran Regular

That's just four 2TB drives striped in RAID-0 using bifurcation though.

disco_ likes this.
  16. Remij

Newcomer

Ok so what about the whole issue of Latency on the PC side? How is this going to be mitigated in the future? Will it be possible on PC to write to VRAM directly from storage without going through system memory in the future?

Let's say the PS5 is able to stream in data fast enough that they only need 1 second of gameplay loaded into RAM.. on PC with say 2-3x the physical memory, with Gen4 NVMe SSDs @ 5GB/s or faster, could they not initially load say the 3-4 seconds worth of gameplay assets into RAM and thus reduce the streaming requirements of the SSD? The latency adds up over time right?

Also, block sizes will likely be bigger for next gen games I'm assuming. 64K/128K block size transfers far faster with less latency, right?

17. John Norum

Newcomer

DX12 Ultimate feature:

#757 John Norum, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    PSman1700 likes this.
  18. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

That text however focusses basically on hardware compression support and not necessarily on reduced latency although this may come eventually of course.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing SSD connectors on GPUs again though in the near future as that could solve most of this for PC.

ToTTenTranz and disco_ like this.
  19. Dictator

Newcomer

Have a larger batch of system RAM reserved. System RAM to VRAM is faster than SSD to Unified RAM, and it has less latency.
    PC games requiring 16 GB of RAM would be a very expected next generation difference I think.

20. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

To reduce disk storage - performance seems ok.

It seems that it is unrealistic to expect movie quality assets to be downloaded or stored locally on consoles for each game. They were talking about billions of tris...which need to be stored.

Hence I was thinking if it is rly necessary to get movie lvl assets, or if a slight reduction to fit the 50-100 gig per game storage would still be a huge gain in terms of visual quality and workflow reduction.