Unreal Engine 5 Tech Demo, Release Target Late 2021

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by mpg1, May 13, 2020.

1. scently

Regular

In the DF article, Epic stated that their solution relied on "hyper optimized compute shaders". Obviously fixed function hardware is supported by the engine as not everything will rely on or need nanite (non static geometry, playable characters etc), but yeah for this to work and not run into the issues you outlined, It needs to be heavily compute based. I think we are coming to the end of fixed-function geometry hardware in the GPU as evident by this and the advent of mesh shaders seeking to bypass it entirely for more compute and therefore flexible systems.

egoless, PSman1700, iroboto and 2 others like this.
  2. chris1515

Veteran Regular

She is dev a rendering dev.

egoless, milk, Quadbitnomial and 11 others like this.
  3. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

The technology behind this reminds me a lot of Naughty Dogs work on Uncharted 2, I think? Didn’t they get close to culling to one triangle per pixel, maybe even using SPEs? Have to start googeling ...

4. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

?
    https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/practical-occlusion-culling-in-killzone-3
    https://www.ea.com/frostbite/news/culling-the-battlefield-data-oriented-design-in-practice
    http://www.selfshadow.com/talks/rwc_gdc2010_v1.pdf

iirc, uncharted 2 did use tile based deferred lighting. Don’t remember their triangle culling practice there.

hm...

http://www.jonolick.com/uploads/7/9/2/1/7921194/gdc_07_rsx_slides_final.pdf (page 70+)

#284 TheAlSpark, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  5. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

this looks dated now !

London-boy likes this.
  6. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Many ps3 games culled non contributing polygons which didn't hit sample points.

TheAlSpark likes this.
  7. DavidGraham

Veteran

They revealed that the demo runs with "pretty good performance' on an RTX 2070 Super and NVMe drive. They also expect RTX will play nice with Lumen. No idea about performance numbers though, but If I had to guess, the fact that they are hiding them means they are higher than PS5.

https://www.pcgamer.com/unreal-engine-5-tech-demo/

manux, BRiT and PSman1700 like this.
  8. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Totally expected. Now i want to see more of this UE5 on next gen nv hw.

#288 PSman1700, May 14, 2020
  9. patsu

Legend

It did. SPU culling was one of the main features in their toolkit, also provided to 3rd party devs. The other popular feature was SPU post-processing.

I hope this demo also implies more flexibility in incorporating user-generated objects/scenes in games like LittleBigPlanet. :)

I imagine their Audiokinetic SDK and Tempest run-time can fit under this UE5 umbrella too.

#289 patsu, May 14, 2020
  10. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

I'd guess that they'd run an approximation of one another. Although, nothing in that article suggests that UE5 runs the same or better on a 2070 Super. Presumably from a GPU standpoint they'd be similar, give or take a few pixels/frames...

...sounds like you need more than a GPU to run this though...

11. chris1515

Veteran Regular

12. patsu

Legend

They'll need to match the SSD specs with "equivalent" third party SSD units for similar performance. Not quite there yet, but close.

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-...pansion-but-it-will-require-sonys-validation/

"Here's the catch, though: that commercial drive has to be at least as fast as ours. Games that rely on the speed of our SSD need to work flawlessly with any M.2 drive.

No PCIe 3.0 drive can hit the required speed of 5.5GB/s, as they are capped at 3.5GB/s. However, the first PCIe 4.0 M.2 drives have now hit the market, and we're seeing 4 to 5GB/s speeds. By year's end, I expect there will be drives hitting 7GB/s.

Having said that, we are comparing apples and oranges, because that commercial M.2 drive will have its own architecture, its own flash controller and so. For example, the NVMe specification lays out a priority scheme for requests that the M.2 drives can use, and that scheme is pretty nice, but it only has two true priority levels. Our drive supports six. We can hook up a drive with only two priority levels, definitely, but our custom I/O unit has to arbitrate the extra priorities rather than the M.2 drive's flash controller, and so the M.2 drive needs a little extra speed to take care of issues arising from the different approach. That commercial drive also needs to physically fit inside of the bay we created for PlayStation 5 for M.2 drives."

#292 patsu, May 14, 2020
  13. Scott_Arm

Legend

Honestly, I think the culling performance in this UE5 solution is going to be different from what we've ever seen, because it sounds like you'll have very fine grained control over loading the correct polygons from the disk. The percentage of polygons that get culled should be much lower than what you'd typically see. You're not issuing a draw call for a full model and then culling the backface and all of the parts of the model that don't fit within your scene, or that are occluded etc. I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like you import the high quality model from zbrush but it's converted into a format that fits their virtual geometry system. That format will allow you to do some type of visibility test cheaply enough that you can selective load probably cache sized chunks of geometry off disk and into a geometry cache in RAM. The detail in the distance is where I get a bit confused about it, because you're less likely to be cache friendly. Two pixels in the distance could be from two different models, where two pixels up close could be spatially close and from the same chunk. So there's something about the data structure that must accommodate that case. Really curious to see how far off that is. But there's no way the game has a billion polygons in the scene and it's culling it down to 3.6 million (1 per pixel at 1440p) in real-time. Like virtual texturing, smart loading of the correct pieces of data is where you'll gain a large amount of efficiency. It's likely that the texture data and the geometry are stored in the same structure, so the texels and polygons are cached in RAM together with a 1:1 relationship.

DSoup, tinokun, TheAlSpark and 5 others like this.
  14. patsu

Legend

The PS3 had small memory. They already needed to partition the vertices efficiently in some way before culling in the SPUs.

Naturally, years later, today's method is necessarily more sophisticated.

#294 patsu, May 14, 2020
  15. lilli

I wonder if majority of triangles are rasterized with compute shaders, is the regular fixed function rasterization even used at big capacity, or are they more idle than usual.

16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

nearly all of them are with some exception cases where FF rasterization is used. Until FF can solve the 1 triangle per pixel problem and also how to deal with subpixel triangle sizes, the FF pipeline is gonna be dead after this generation. They need to refactor how to cull so many triangles as well.

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  17. John Norum

Newcomer

I've saw the digital foundry video, seems like that the new tech from UE5 ha a lot of latency and artifacts, and it's inefficient with foliage/hair (it wastes 3/4 pixel calc when they are organizated in groups of four or more)

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  18. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

@Dictator being a journalist. Looking for the flaws for all of us.

PSman1700 likes this.
  19. John Norum

Newcomer

Another interesting point is that, both lumen and geometry performances are linearly proportional to the pixel number on screen, so using a low resolution with DLSS tech (processed 1080p to final 4K), could be a great combination. if this is true, UE5 should shine on RTX hardware

PSman1700 and disco_ like this.
  20. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

that is just speculation as he does not know how the engine will work with these.

Jov and London-boy like this.