Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Yeah, Unreal Engine V is hugely impressive - especially the final minute or so of that demo. There's that SSD for sure, pulling data at crazy speeds as she fly's along. That you can take massive raw zbrush models and drop them em without prebuilt LOD models is phenomenal. They'll obviously want to keep that under control otherwise games will be massive, though.

Coming 2021, so I guess that's roughly when the first UE5 games will appear. This bodes well for nextgen :yes:

edit: Mr Sweeney gushing about crazy fast PS5's SSD is: "it's faster than anything" on the SGF livestream.

I thought outside of Ghost and Lou2 that all First Party Sony games would be PS5 exclusives, so nothing they could use on PS4. Or are you saying Sony will continue to make cross-gen games too?

If you look at what "first party studio" encompasses, you'd be quite surprised at the depth of the games involved.
Sony doesn't just produce AAA games, many of the smaller indie sized projects can certainly be done cross-gen.

listing a few that did do cross-gen last time: LBP3 (2014), Singstar (2014), MLB the show (multiple works way up to 2016).
Anyway, releasing PS5 doesn't exactly mean that they will completely drop support on PS4 when a game that's not technical demanding requires little effort to do exactly that.

This looks insane, truly the next gen moment I've been waiting for! Well done Epic for Unreal Engine V :)! Holy molly, just confirmed by that guy in the video PS5's IO is one of the key feature to enable hundreds of billions of triangles to be streamed realtime in that demo. So yes, it's confirmed one of SSD's main usage is to stream in almost unlimited amount of polygons which otherwise would be impossible to load in memory. Wow, this is truly exciting.

Yeah, Unreal Engine V is hugely impressive - especially the final minute or so. There's that SSD for sure, pulling data at crazy speeds as she fly's along. That you can take massive raw zbrush models and drop them em without prebuilt LOD models is phenomenal. They'll obviously want to keep that under control otherwise games will be massive, though.

Coming 2021, so I guess that's roughly when the first UE5 games will appear. This bodes well for nextgen :yes:
Don't expect AAA games build from the ground up on UE5 before 2022 at the earliest. UE5 dev-Preview 1 isn't coming out until the first half of 2021.

OMG!
I remember the last "next gen UE demo" from the beginning of the generation. Looked impressive back than, but we ended with games that looked even better and that you could actually play. This means that games will look even better than this 2-3 years from now?!
Is this the magic of "Mesh Shaders" and Ray Traced rendering?

The tech behind Nanite is mind boggling, definitely want to know more about it. I wonder if this is UE5 only or will there be an alternative method from other engines like Unity or first party engines.

Guess Sony wins this mini round! To show this - arguably the first actual “next gen looking” thing - running in real-time on the Ps5. Good move, Sony! Ball in MS’s court.
This is starting to feel like a good tennis match and I’m loving it!

I remember Epic demoing the UE4 engine at the February 2013 reveal of PS4 and no subsequent games looked like that.

But the fact that this PS5/UE5 demo it is doing so much more than that PS4/EU4 demo: insanely-detailed models, amazing lighting, vast draw distances, inherently better baked-in animation and high speed traversal through a huge open space with lots of detail and things happening.., Yeah, that is showing a lot of real, deliverable potential. This isn't hey look how shiny, it's hey look how shiny and and it's all working in what is similar in scope to sections of Tomb Raider and Uncharted.

Again, I think this bodes well. :yes:

Back