Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

As usual it's a joint "marketing" deal in this case:
"As for Microsoft’s Xbox Series X, Sweeney isn’t saying the new Xbox won’t be able to achieve something similar; both are using custom SSDs that promise blazing speeds. But he says Epic’s strong relationship with Sony means the company is working more closely with the PlayStation creator than it does with Microsoft on this specific area." link
This is Sweeney bog standard copy/paste answer every time a new tech is announced alongside & HW manufacturer (usually Nvidia).
Tim literally said on the live stream that both Next Gen consoles & high end PCs would run Nanite as seen in today's demo.

Yeah they specifically refrained from saying Xbox when asked about other platforms. In fact, I only counted Tim saying 'Xbox' twice, but it was in reference to the Epic Login & linking platforms.

Tommy McClain

Anybody watch Geoff interview Tim & 2 other Epic guys after the demo?

Yes, I caught the tech demo as it was part of the SGF stream today, which the interview immediately followed. It was very interesting.

welp
so about those diminishing returns ? ^^
that was amazing

"this statue is 3 millions polygons, with no loss in details, well, here are 500 of these statues, all with the same LOD"

It looks nice, but they're definitely still there. If you told me this was footage of a new Tomb Raider game, not a controlled tech demo, I wouldn't be shocked.

That said it does look really really nice. Why cant we have games like this already? It literally must be legacy consoles (Base Xbox One and PS4) holding us back. Even a Xbox One X is nominally 2/3 the power of a PS5.

Basically this whole demo is another example of why Lockhart (if it exists) sucks LOL. What's Lockhart gonna do, run this at blurry 720P 25 FPS upscaled? No! We want pristine.

Also I didn't know Sweeney was so in bed with Sony in consoles. It doesn't surprise me though, he's always seemed to dislike MS, but then a while back he claimed all was good with them.

Also, the big thing that jumps out to me is where was the ray tracing??? I just skimmed the vid, so maybe it's baked into the GI and I totally missed the point? Or is it honestly just given the Heisman pose here?

Anyways cool demo, and a lot more next gen than the failed MS event, which is what we wanted to see!

Also, so this is gonna be in the next fortnight. So, we're going to see how this new whiz bang product can look incredibly ordinary in a shipping game very soon, LOL. Since Fortnight will need to run on toasters.

Last edited:
Yeah they specifically refrained from saying Xbox when asked about other platforms. In fact, I only counted Tim saying 'Xbox' twice, but it was in reference to the Epic Login & linking platforms.

Tommy McClain
It is an obvious marketing deal so they were contractually prohibited from mentioning it. Let's not forget that all of Microsoft's studios besides Turn10 (+PG's Forza Team), Mojang & 343i, are using UE which makes Microsoft, Epic's biggest engine licensee & outside contributor.

Last edited:
Apparently they'll be releasing more detail later this week on how each of the new systems work. Looking forward to it.

The gaming industry is undergoing a massive transformation. Large numbers of engine programmers have left individual studios for Unreal and Unity. They've been building up and transforming engines to not just be jack of all trade engines, but cutting edge and high performance like you'd expect from a 1st party studio. They have R&D departments that can spend years researching topics in a way that I question traditional game studios will be able to keep up with. Sony has obviously been very good in funding R&D for their first parties. Microsoft not so much, though they seem to be improving on that front and actually leveraging UE across studio so they can target specific gaps rather than reinvent the wheel. I sort of wonder about EA for example, and whether Frostbite will keep up with Unreal Engine over time.

Apparently they'll be releasing more detail later this week on how each of the new systems work. Looking forward to it.

The gaming industry is undergoing a massive transformation. Large numbers of engine programmers have left individual studios for Unreal and Unity. They've been building up and transforming engines to not just be jack of all trade engines, but cutting edge and high performance like you'd expect from a 1st party studio. They have R&D departments that can spend years researching topics in a way that I question traditional game studios will be able to keep up with. Sony has obviously been very good in funding R&D for their first parties. Microsoft not so much, though they seem to be improving on that front and actually leveraging UE across studio so they can target specific gaps rather than reinvent the wheel. I sort of wonder about EA for example, and whether Frostbite will keep up with Unreal Engine over time.
Unreal is great. And these next gen features are awesome, what they developed is awesome. Designed to work across a large spectrum of platforms.
Somewhere some company is building a pure RT based engine quietly in the dark. Waiting for years to go by for when the hardware is ready for a pure RT game.

Anyway, more the reason why more people will not get into creating their own engines imo. They are just so advanced now. You could never make something like this with such polished tools and support without the investments being made here.

Holy moly. Sony couldn't have chosen a better way of showing off next gen graphics.

And this high-speed traversal through massive and highly-detailed open environments was immediately what I was thinking about when the speeds of the SSDs in nextgen consoles were talked of. That final sequence where she leaps off a cliff, the camera pans down as she dives down then closely tracks as she leaps and flies forward, is just nuts. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like PS5's geometry engine is put to good use. I guess mesh shader is either confirmed on PS5 or whatever that's the equivalent in it is doing the same thing. Can it be safe to assume we won't ever have to worry about low poly assets again :), every asset would be pulled in straight from the Zbrush haha. The SSD is doing lord's work for streaming them up at super fast speed too!
Did we ever find out if PS5's "geometry engine" is the same thing as RDNA's geometry engine?

Also, to add to the debate of huge size/space demands

I hope we see systems like this become prevalent for GI and RT is only used to patch the leaks so to speak, hopefully leaving enough RT horsepower for some basic RT reflections or RT ambient occlusion/self-shadowing.

If I had to guess Sony didn't have anything to do with this besides agreeing to a joint PR deal. This was Epic's GDC2020 demo scheduled to be shown 2 months ago (running on PC) which they later looked to have shopped to MS & Sony for marketing purpose and Sony agreed to it.
Could be. It would have needed clearance from Sony since anything not running on release hardware (everything) is inherently NDA but given this is a great advertisement for PS5, why would Sony want to object. The lack of Sony personnel or logos is telling.

Epic just happened to show this off on PS5. It could easily have been Series X.

So I was wrong, everything is compute based lighting:
Hardware accelerated ray tracing will be supported in Unreal Engine 5, for example, but it's not a part of the PS5 tech demo revealed today.

Where do you get this from? (Too much posts... and panic :) )
Their GI is pretty good - not sure i f i should just jump out of the window...
But i thought it is using RT. Not even sure how much bounces. At least they have heavy lag.

So, my limited reading on the subject talked about how virtualized geometry could be highly compressible because of the format of the data. If true that would pair very well with kraken decompression. And since you're only streaming in pieces of models instead of entire models before culling, you now have something that looks a lot more suitable for on-the-fly streaming than I originally expected.

I'm a sucker for good water in games so I was a bit disappointed they didn't go into more detail about that. To this day I'm still so impressed by Halo 3's water that 343's attempts at them in Halo 4 & 5 absolutely pale in comparison.

Basically this whole demo is another example of why Lockhart (if it exists) sucks LOL. What's Lockhart gonna do, run this at blurry 720P 25 FPS upscaled? No! We want pristine.

If the PS5 version is mostly around 1440p, a 4TF system would be mostly around 900p everything else being equal. Drop the settings a notch and 1080p should be doable.

Everything in this engine is coming to the likes of AMD and Nvidia's mainstream cards, so there's no question that it can be done.

Could be. It would have needed clearance from Sony since anything not running on release hardware (everything) is inherently NDA but given this is a great advertisement for PS5, why would Sony want to object. The lack of Sony personnel or logos is telling.

Epic just happened to show this off on PS5. It could easily have been Series X.

Yes, but great move nontheless. The video is trending in most parts of the world right now.

Back