Unreal Engine "3.5"

Meh. We saw similar demos for previous Epic engines, and very little of that got into games, as even with completely herculean hardware, you can't run all that and have a game in there too.

This has been already discussed in console technology forums. This presentation is given on MS key-note speech just after they announced Gears of War 2. Ppl guess that all that technology will be in GoW 2 (the assets used in the demo is actually from GoW).

Technically, the Gears 2 teaser came after the UE3.0 bits. ;) It was only the Italian PR that released info about Gears 2 earlier than intended.

So you're saying there's not going to be an UE Portal knock-off with a meat cube?

I'm saying that what the engine can show you in a non-interactive marketing demo, or a demo which is one character in one simple room, has not historically been indicative of what you will see in a full game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm saying that what the engine can show you in a non-interactive demo marketing demo, or a demo which is one character in one simple room, has not historically been indicative of what you will see in a full game.

I know what you were saying, I was joking. Guess there aren't any Portal fans here... That or I'm just not funny :p

I'm saying that what the engine can show you in a non-interactive demo marketing demo, or a demo which is one character in one simple room, has not historically been indicative of what you will see in a full game.

I remember in the original UE3.0 vid back from 2005 they had two specific features...

1) Light was traveling through a staind glass window and projecting the colours onto an enemy pacing back and forth...

2) Realtime changes in gravity force directions

Has anyone seen these features in UE3 games yet?

Yay, a sloppy meat cube and Morrowind water. And... GeoMod? :p

Now I'd like to see them do something actually interesting and apply a Ghoul-style gib system to that bloody meat cube.

Back