Unigine v0.4 demo with dual render: OpenGL/Direct3D

DenDiesel

Newcomer
A new demo, which is based on forthcoming Unigine v0.4 engine, is available. It works either on Windows and Linux. There is a benchmark in the demo, which can be used to compare performance in Direct3D9 and OpenGL.

Features:
* Up to 500k polygones per frame
* 5 dynamic lights
* HDR rendering
* Parallax occlusion mapping
* Ambient occlusion mapping
* Translucence
* Volumetric light and fog
* Glow
* Particle systems
* Postprocessing: motion blur, radial blur, depth of field, color correction, Sobel filter, refraction, stereo mode (stereo glasses required)

Known drivers bugs:
* [NVIDIA] Dropping to software rendering with shadow map, shadow map soft and cubemap reflections on OpenGL (NV40, G70)
* [NVIDIA] NV30 drops to software rendering on OpenGL
* [NVIDIA] Broken hardware shadows on NV30/Direct3D9
* [ATI] Broken alpha-testing on OpenGL with enabled HDR
* [ATI] Unable to use HDR + antialiasing on OpenGL
* [ATI] No glow through alpha-blending objects on Direct3D9, all cards up to R500

Reactions: Geo
looks nice, but I wish you used higher res shadow maps in the most recent demo. they were blocky. otherwise looks great and performs very well. ~45-50 fps on avg on x1900xtx @ 665/775.

looks nice, but I wish you used higher res shadow maps in the most recent demo. they were blocky. otherwise looks great and performs very well. ~45-50 fps on avg on x1900xtx @ 665/775.

We've lowered SM's to 512x512 to find a balance between performance on old cards and image quality. You are right, I suppose we should make different quality profiles.

i just wondered why the limit was 5 hardware lights as most cards seem to support 8 ?

ps: the stereo option is pretty good with anaglyph glasses
pps: the framrate displayed in the top right doesnt allways agree with what is displayed bottom right
worst case 45 top right, 35 bottom right

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the shadows, the windows projections seem to be low res/quality too.

That said, it's an excellent demo, running well on my 1900xt.

The only thing I regret is the lack of animation, though you probably don't have the time for that.

Don't you dare release charming demos like that and make me want to work back on my engine !
;)

Yay! New benchie, here. :D

benchcu8.jpg

Here it is, matching your settings:
benchkp6.jpg

• Video @ 655/1746 MHz
  • Vista 32-bit

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not because of HW limits, we just decided that 5 lights (2 candles, 2 torches, 1 sun) would be enough for the scene.
seems strange to base your descision for a game engine on just what is required for a single demo scene

Waves pocket watch infront of felix
"i want to give Davros my graphics card, i want to give Davros my graphics card"

seems strange to base your descision for a game engine on just what is required for a single demo scene

There is no light limits in our engine, we have scenes with 40+ lights, "5 lights" in features section is about only this demo, "Sanctuary".

I love the demo, good work :)

System:
Vista with 8800gts and latest driver.

Remarks:
The DOF seems to heavy (And I would like a slider to select DOF value).
The motion-blur feels very "slow", feels like 20fps when the counter says 40+.
Some shadow and light artifacts.

It's a pretty good demo, but i'd would like more sliders and stuff to tweak it out more :p
DOF setting could have like 4 sliders alone!

I love the demo, good work :)
Remarks:
The DOF seems to heavy (And I would like a slider to select DOF value).
The motion-blur feels very "slow", feels like 20fps when the counter says 40+.
Some shadow and light artifacts.

It's a pretty good demo, but i'd would like more sliders and stuff to tweak it out more :p
DOF setting could have like 4 sliders alone!

Ok, we'll make next demo with a bunch of sliders :)

We suppose this demo being too simple to require DirectX 10, we have more complex one in the production.

My understandings of DX10 is limited, but is't it easier to get artifact-free light & shadows with the dx10 methods? I would also love to see an imporoved motion-blur :)

PS: The engine seems a bit slower than what the fps is showing, not sure why though :\

There is no light limits in our engine, we have scenes with 40+ lights, "5 lights" in features section is about only this demo, "Sanctuary".

Though you probably make that clear somewhere else on the page, I think it might be helpful if you elucidate that. I think that your engine is great, put these doubts to rest! Release a really high quality demo that kills performance but looks rediculous. That means no blocky shadows! Just some suggestions of course :D I would love to see your engine being used. Has anyone bought it yet?

Though you probably make that clear somewhere else on the page, I think it might be helpful if you elucidate that. I think that your engine is great, put these doubts to rest! Release a really high quality demo that kills performance but looks rediculous. That means no blocky shadows! Just some suggestions of course :D I would love to see your engine being used. Has anyone bought it yet?

We were scared of low-end hardware owners, who can get bad performance on higher quality of art. However now we see that there is a lot of high-end hardware in the world, so we'll be targeting it in next projects.

And yes, there is a number of game development companies, which use Unigine v0.4. Almost all of the projects are still unannounced, the only one publicly known is Afterfall RPG.

Hello,

good demo, I make

24 FPS
490 SCORE

on a A64 3500+, 1GB DDR400 and Radeon X1800XL.

talking about the demo itself I found that are stressing a lot components.. my temperature grow up so much.. :D
Excellent quality of the refractions trhough the glass, excellent atmosphere but blocky shadow maps...

I'm thinking at a possible Thief 4 with this engine.. :D

Back