Unigine DirectX 11 benchmark

Neb

Iron "BEAST" Man
Legend
New benchmark that runs on DX9, DX10, DX11 and OpenGL. However tesselation only works on DX11 hardware. But if you dont have DX11 hardware you will still be exposed to state of the art graphics with stunning lighting, texturing, mapping, godrays etc delivering CryEngine 3 some powerful blows. A real jaw-dropper no kidding.

Unigine Corp. today announced release of the first DirectX 11 benchmark "Heaven" that is based on its proprietary Unigine™ engine. The company has already made a name among the overclockers and gaming enthusiasts for uncovering the realm of true GPU capabilities with previously released "Sanctuary" and "Tropics" demos. Their benchmarking capabilities are coupled with striking visual integrity of the refined graphic art.

"Heaven" benchmark excels at providing the following key features:

Native support of OpenGL, DirectX 9, DirectX 10 and DirectX 11
Comprehensive use of tessellation technology
Advanced SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion)
Volumetric cumulonimbus clouds generated by a physically accurate algorithm
Dynamic simulation of changing environment with high physical fidelity
Interactive experience with fly/walk-through modes
ATI Eyefinity support

..and more

Press release info about Unigine

Download link for Unigine techdemo

Unigine feature list and support

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone with a DX11 card try this thing out and post some thoughts?

This is stuff I expect from PC games in 2010 :yep2:

Tried it in DX10 mode on my GTX260. Still looked really good and ran well at 1440x900, 4xAA, 8xAF. It was obviously built with tessellation in mind though, so the lack of geometry in some places (e.g. stairs) was jarring.

Oddly I could run it in DX11 mode, but there was no tessellation. I assume it was falling back to DX10.

Would love to see this on a 5870.

And yes Nebula this gives CE2 a run for its money :smile:

Because of this demo I am even more excited about tesselation than before.

This is the first tech demo in a long time that has evoked a genuine WHOAH! -moment out of me.

I've heard performance hit of up to 50% when turning on the tessellation, if this is the price we have to pay then it sure make you wonder would you be better off without it and focusing on other things. Hope it doesn't turn out like the case of geforce 6800 running HDR.

In the big R800 speculation thread someone mentioned that the cause of the tessellation performance hit could be the ambient occlusion, relative to the geometry complexity. We need bench numbers with AO disabled to confirm.

Isn't AO based on Z-depth only? Shouldn't depend on the poly count... Mudbox can easily display AO with multi-million meshes.

figure3.jpg

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1350370&postcount=4415
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1350408&postcount=4424

Those were my first impressions.

I think much of the impact of the tesselation is localized to the Dragon statue in the village center. FPS is quite a bit better everywhere else until you get close to the statue. The statue seems to use an excessive amount of triangles. My guess is to stress the engine/video card.

I think the lighting and shadowing are impacting performance more than SSAO the more I watch it. The shadowing and lighting on the tesselated surfaces are quite impressive. Even more impressive when you manually adjust the time of day to watch it in action.

I REALLY wish you could create a light source and move it around at night.

Regards,
SB

I think that becouse it is a benchmark they added an unnecessary extreme amount of polygons for the dragon and scene. Probably could use far less and still get pretty much same result. Also thanks Silent Buddha for the bench info. :smile:

All I can do is drool over videos and images until I pull the trigger on a 5870.

EDIT: Also in the file "heaven.zip", "heaven\materials\heaven_base.mat".

<parameter name="tessellation_scale">1.7</parameter>
<parameter name="tessellation_power">1</parameter>
<parameter name="tessellation_factor">10</parameter>
<parameter name="tessellation_distance">5</parameter>
<parameter name="tessellation_threshold">3</parameter>

Bring thar 5870 to it's knees!

EDIT 2: WOW seems extremly easy to tweak stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I found strange is the fact that they dropped 10.1 support, which was present in their last demo/bench

Results on HD3870

Speedwise DX9>11>10
Effectwise DX11=10>9

DX9:

DX10:

DX11:

Heaven Demo v1.0

FPS:26.4
Scores:666
Hardware

Binary:Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1500 Release Oct 22 2009
Operating system:Windows 7 (build 7600, Service Pack 2) 32bit
CPU model:Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 165
CPU flags:2699MHz MMX+ 3DNow!+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 HTT
GPU model:ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series 8.650.0.0 512Mb
Settings

Render:direct3d10
Mode:1680x1050 fullscreen
Shaders:high
Textures:high
Filter:trilinear
Anisotropy:4x
Occlusion:enabled
Refraction:enabled
Volumetric:enabled

AF is actually 16X forced in CP.
Looks pretty uh amazing. Amazing it ran it well as it did on my pathetic CPU.

Runs quite well, given my aged system.

Binary: Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1500 Release Oct 22 2009
Operating system: Windows 7 (build 7600) 64bit
CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
CPU flags: 2666MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 HTT
GPU model: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 8.660.6.0 1024Mb <--- it's a 5770 1Gb

Run at 1680x1050 with 8xAF, DX11 and all maxed settings

4xAA + Tessellation: FPS 18.5
0xAA + Tessellation: FPS 25.3
4xAA No Tessellation: FPS 28.0
0xAA No Tessellation: FPS 39.1

4xAA + Tessellation: FPS 18.5
0xAA + Tessellation: FPS 25.3
4xAA No Tessellation: FPS 28.0
0xAA No Tessellation: FPS 39.1

Methinks they went a little overboard with the tessellation in this demo (chops framerate in half :!:), but hey that's what tech demos are for :cool:

It's definitely meant more to push cards as the tesselation densities for certain objects don't make sense, at least to me.

For example the 2 most noticeable and eye catching examples of tessellation (roof shingles and cobblestone road) use far less triangles than the virtually flat doors.

Regards,
SB

Back