Unexpected downtime - Thursday March 30th 2017

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Our server host experienced power failure in a datacenter containing one of our servers last night, at 03:20 CEST. Power was restored around 05:15 CEST, and the server came back up, but a misconfiguration on my part during the last round of full server maintenance meant the VMs didn't autostart.

I manually started them when I woke up this morning and realised everything was down. Sorry for the downtime, I'll have a think about how we best mitigate that in the future, both in the event of power/infrastructure failures, and human failures (me being asleep when it happens!).

I've taken the cookie control stuff out of the page until I can figure out what's going on there.

Looks like the cookie control system we use is experiencing its own failure, so the code is throwing an error when it checks to see if there's a valid license. Why it does that for every user on every page load is beyond me, will probably throw that system in the bin as a result.

I've also removed the Alexa stats/tracking cookie nonsense as well. Intel needed us to have it during last year's GDC advertising campaign, to verify traffic, but it's useless now.

Back