Um..."rewilding?"

Hanners said:
Next we'll be using the DNA from ancient mosquitoes to repopulate the planet with dinosaurs...

Hell with that...we need ancient mosquitos to repopulate the planet with....ancient mosquitos!

Won't work. Not in the US...

First time some kid get stomped by a "rewilded" elephant that broke loose, the parents will sue the scientists who came up with the idea into extinction.

Guden Oden said:
Won't work. Not in the US...

First time some kid get stomped by a "rewilded" elephant that broke loose, the parents will sue the scientists who came up with the idea into extinction.

Wrong.

First of all the elephant wouldn't break lose. The kid would "break in" to the area using fence cutters and by manually shutting down the electric fence.

Second, the parents would not just sue the scientists...they would sue the fence company for not making it strong enough...the fence cutter manufacturer for not putting a "warning: do not cut fences that are part of a rewiling containment system" label on the tool...the gov't for not putting the electric generator behind a 3 ft steel walled enclosure with 5 locks (it was only 2 ft thick and 3 locks)...and the manufacturer of the sneakers the kid was wearing. (No instructions on how to properly lace the shoes...which came undone when the kid tripped over his feet trying to outrun the charging elephant....)

Joe DeFuria said:
Wrong.

First of all the elephant wouldn't break lose. The kid would "break in" to the area using fence cutters and by manually shutting down the electric fence.

Second, the parents would not just sue the scientists...they would sue the fence company for not making it strong enough...the fence cutter manufacturer for not putting a "warning: do not cut fences that are part of a rewiling containment system" label on the tool...the gov't for not putting the electric generator behind a 3 ft steel walled enclosure with 5 locks (it was only 2 ft thick and 3 locks)...and the manufacturer of the sneakers the kid was wearing. (No instructions on how to properly lace the shoes...which came undone when the kid tripped over his feet trying to outrun the charging elephant....)

Not to mention God, for creating the elephant.

sadly, yes, Joe is right.

but it's a good time to get into the legal profession ;)

The continent teemed with mastodons, mammoths, saber-toothed tigers, five species of horses and 13 species of camels. Last year, 14 ecologists and conservation biologists met on media mogul Ted Turner's Ladder Ranch in New Mexico to hash out how reintroducing proxy species might play out.
I think America could use some camels. The camel industry would bring new life. Races, kebab meat, additions to the zoos, camel jockeys. A captitalists dream the camel is. Ted Turner is a visionary.

Speaking of camel jockeys, in one of the arab emirates I believe it was, a ban against using children as riders in races was instituted recently I read (for obvious reasons, as riding camels in a race can be quite dangerous, especially when the child is as little as four years of age to save weight and make the camel go faster). Instead, they used robots specially designed for the task!

Hehe. Who said camels were stoneage tech? :mrgreen:

Guden Oden said:
Speaking of camel jockeys, in one of the arab emirates I believe it was, a ban against using children as riders in races was instituted recently I read (for obvious reasons, as riding camels in a race can be quite dangerous, especially when the child is as little as four years of age to save weight and make the camel go faster). Instead, they used robots specially designed for the task!

Hehe. Who said camels were stoneage tech? :mrgreen:
Unfortunatly these bans are specifically designed to satisfy western groups/media who report on the deplorable conditions these children live under. They are raped, killed, malnorished, and often kidnaped from 3rd world countries just for the sport. The practice continues despite the ban, the government of the ME could deal with the problem if it wanted, but since its the people in power are also in charge of the sport it is very doubtful that anything will be really done.

epic

But with those animals extinct, conservation biologists write in the journal Nature Thursday, elephants, lions and camels will do. The idea is to restore the environmental balance the continent lost when people arrived from Eurasia 13,000 years ago and slaughtered the giant animals in about 400 years.

Somehow I think the environment is in better balance as it is today than if humans were to introduce animals who haven't been around for 13,000 years.

Back