UE5 Timeline; When will other games release using Unreal Engine 5? *spawn*

lefantome

Newcomer

After seeing UE5 in action on PS5 this is a reminder that this Project Mara video is most likely completely in engine targeting XSX despite looking like the re-creation of some location in Ninja Theory offices (There is dev diary where they show with the same stairs)

(This is also potentially showcasing ray tracing in UE5 on XSX)

I was starting to get suspicious about the video being actual real life footage that video compression and blurriness may make it look like high quality ray traced real time graphics but I noted this

6B38aai.png

The shadows appears out of thin air in the reflection

After seeing UE5 in action on PS5 this is a reminder that this Project Mara video is most likely completely in engine targeting XSX despite looking like the re-creation of some location in Ninja Theory offices (There is dev diary where they show with the same stairs)

(This is also potentially showcasing ray tracing in UE5 on XSX)
While some big players might get their hands on UE5 early, I doubt they have it yet, since it's preview version isn't coming available 'till early 2021

While some big players might get their hands on UE5 early, I doubt they have it yet, since it's preview version isn't coming available 'till early 2021
Is there is a bigger player than Microsoft ? I am sure sony / Ea and the likes are maybe on par with MS but bigger ? MS has almost all their teams using Unreal engine. So i would expect them to have access to UE5 early

preview would be public preview, no? I’d imagine people at Microsoft and Sony could have it earlier. Games like this could be in development for a long time.

Is there is a bigger player than Microsoft ? I am sure sony / Ea and the likes are maybe on par with MS but bigger ? MS has almost all their teams using Unreal engine. So i would expect them to have access to UE5 early
Of course MS is among the first to get it, surely before public preview, but like I said, I doubt anyone outside Epic has it yet since they're not releasing even preview version of the engine 'till early 2021, convert their own first game over to it in mid 2021 and release the final engine in late 2021

edit:
I'm not exactly sober so I'll try again:
I think MS will be one of the first outside Epic to get it, but I don't think anyone outside Epic has it yet, it's release date is so far ahead.

Of course MS is among the first to get it, surely before public preview, but like I said, I doubt anyone outside Epic has it yet since they're not releasing even preview version of the engine 'till early 2021, convert their own first game over to it in mid 2021 and release the final engine in late 2021

edit:
I'm not exactly sober so I'll try again:
I think MS will be one of the first outside Epic to get it, but I don't think anyone outside Epic has it yet, it's release date is so far ahead.
indeed. Nobody outside of Epic has it (and won't have it until 2021). If they are on time at its production ready by the end of 2021 you can't expect AAA to ship with it before 2023. But nothing is stopping developers from implementing similar tech before once Epic starts spilling the beans on who is works in a few days if deem it a must have.

If they are on time at its production ready by the end of 2021 you can't expect AAA to ship with it before 2023.

Unreal Engine 4 released in March 2014, and Daylight (arguably an AA game) released in April 2014. Tekken 7 also with UE4 released 1 year later.

Assuming no AAA game will be using this for 2 years after the engine releases seems steep.

Unreal Engine 4 released in March 2014, and Daylight (arguably an AA game) released in April 2014. Tekken 7 also with UE4 released 1 year later.

Assuming no AAA game will be using this for 2 years after the engine releases seems steep.
Daylight looks & is utter shit. While Tekken 7 is bog standard out of the box UE4 (and has abismal IQ)..but this is besides the point. No AAA studios is going to touch this until its production ready which is scheduled for end of 2021 if there's no delay and unlike most features this one will literally impact assets reactions and optimizations from the get go and has to be adopted from the very beginning of production. So even 2023 can be seen as early for an AAA title.

Daylight looks & is utter shit. While Tekken 7 is bog standard out of the box UE4 (and has abismal IQ).
Let's not take subjective opinions into consideration?
Is Tekken 7 a AAA or not?

No AAA studios is going to touch this until its production ready which is scheduled for end of 2021
Who said end of 2021?
All I heard from the interviews was pre-release in early 2021 and full release "later than that".

Preview is definitely public closed beta access or open beta.

Big players may have had accesso to the engine for years.

Preview is definitely public closed beta access or open beta.

Big players may have had accesso to the engine for years.
Unreal Engine 5 hasn't even existed for years.
Hell Blade 2's 'in engine' trailer does show popup free incredibly detail geometry and wizzy lighting. Certainly seems like they are playing around with Nanite and Lumen early, or at the very least targeting that feature set.
Hellblade II: Senua's Saga is scheduled for December 2020 release, it's definitely UE4

The way I understand it, there will be an “easy” path for all games being developed on UE4 to switch almost seamlessly to UE5. I’d be careful with “it just works” kind of statements, but that’s how Epic are talking about it.

Hellblade II: Senua's Saga is scheduled for December 2020 release, it's definitely UE4

It doesn't have a release date.

Non one outside of Epic has had access to UE5.
I deliberately avoided contradicting your statement on the matter when taking about HB2. Could you reitterate why you're saying this because your reason for doing so is buried somewhere and you keep having to repeat yourself.:smile:

It doesn't have a release date.

I deliberately avoided contradicting your statement on the matter when taking about HB2. Could you reitterate why you're saying this because your reason for doing so is buried somewhere and you keep having to repeat yourself.:smile:
Just look around (on Twitter for example) and see what other developers (even big UE licensees) are saying. ;) (I4m on mobile right now so not easy to go back and find the interesting ones right now but I noticed that at least one Coalition dev deleted 2 of his tweets which were "I can't wait to learn how this works".

Epic and in writing @ https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/a-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5

Unreal Engine 5 will be available in preview in early 2021, and in full release late in 2021, supporting next-generation consoles, current-generation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.​
I'm fairly sure that's a typo, first because of the way it's written (full release later in 2021 vs. full release in late 2021 which would be a more proper phrasing AFAIK), and second because more than one Epic official has stated later, not late.

Regarldess, I'm waiting for clarification from Epic for this.

Just look around (on Twitter for example) and see what other developers (even big UE licensees) are saying. ;) (I4m on mobile right now so not easy to go back and find the interesting ones right now but I noticed that at least one Coalition dev deleted 2 of his tweets which were "I can't wait to learn how this works".
One dev from Coalition saying that doesn't mean Coalition (i.e. all the 200 employees) didn't know it existed.

I find it very hard to believe Epic made this run on a PS5 back in March without any input from Sony, and they kept a complete secret over the new engine's main features from their most important clients up until yesterday.
In B2B it's just good practice to mention what's coming up with your important partners/clients.

Back