Uber buffers

Mintmaster

Veteran
Does anyone know if ATI has uber buffer support in any of their drivers? Developer drivers, even? I'm kind of eager to try some things out on them, especially rendering to a vertex array.

Also, does anyone know if any other IHV (esp. NVidia) is planning on supporting them?

Finally, does anyone think there could be a way render-to-vertex-array may be exposed in DirectX?

you can find the extension in the drivers (gl_ati_uber_buffers) but i don't know if it's in any functional state or how to access it

I thought the (OGL 2.0) uber-buffers concept was taken out into the courtyard and shot in the back of the head.

That was the impression I got from discussions at opengl.org.

tEd (or anyone else that may be able to answer):

Which drivers are you talking about? Cat 4.5?

Do you think the functions work identically to the ARB functions mentioned in http://www.ati.com/developer/gdc/SuperBuffers.pdf?

What about function prototypes? Are they in the ATI SDK? I couldn't find them here. I haven't programmed in OGL before but I think I'll take a stab at it to try out this feature.

As long as you know the function names and parameters they use, you can usually make an educated guess at the function prototypes and get it right. The real problem is the tokens, each of which corresponds to a number unique throughout OpenGL. It's not really possible to reliably guess them. . .

Back