U3 engine based games on todays high end systems.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by DOGMA1138, Oct 26, 2004.

1. DOGMA1138

Regular

How well will a U3 engine based game run on to day`s high end system?
    lets say on a Athlon64 3200+(754) 1GB of RAM and a x800pro/xt 6800gt/u Video card.

on my moded x800pro in CS:S i get about 75-85fps(vsync - 85hz) under 1024x768 res and AAX6xt3/AF X16.
    will a U3e based game run well on a high setting, with or w/o AA&AF?

2. KimB

Legend

From the demos given of the engine at the beginning of the year, probably ~30 fps.

3. hovz

Regular

less than that, those demos dont take into account all that goes on in a game.

4. KimB

Legend

Neither do they have finished (optimized) game code.

5. Ostsol

Veteran

Tech demos also tend to show the best of an engine. What goes into an actual game may be far more modest.

6. KimB

Legend

True, but since it's not going to be out for a couple of years, I would still expect it to perform ~30 fps with medium-high settings on a current high-end machine. There should, obviously, be lower settings that will allow higher framerates, or playability on a wider variety of machines.

7. _xxx_

Banned

I believe there'll be a bunch of changes in the engine till we see any game using it, so it's pointless to make any predictions based on what we see today...

8. mustrum

Regular

For sure it will. If they program games that wont run on said machine that would be financial suicide.
    The percentage of gamers owning a highend system is very small.
    Look at Doom3. You can play the game just fine on a old Athlon XP paired with aradeon 9800 PRO and you don't loose eye candy.
    Most likely you wont be able to play at high AA levels but it will run.

9. _xxx_

Banned

I think current high-end won't even be midrange in two years, it'll rather be towards low-end.

10. MasterBaiter

Regular

I think the ladies @ Epic will make U3 scale relatively well. By this time in 2006, todays high-end systems will be looking pretty blasé though. :)

What I am curious about is how well will games likes U3 work with multi-core (or quad) processor systems in the future. Will they start to take notice of multi-processor systems by then, and optimize for them? :?

11. kyleb

Veteran

Why do you say that? The high-end two years ago was the 9700pro and it is still a midrange card; what would be different now?

12. KimB

Legend

Of course. That's only natural.

13. MasterBaiter

Regular

Well I would like to think so as well, but considering how dual processor support has gone so far... I'm not as optimistic.

Most programmers are not going to bother coding for a small sector of the game community (and so much has been said by Epic already). The question is will there be enough people out there running them in 2K6 to implement it? Is Epic already thinking along these guidelines? The next question is going to be how well will games take advantage of multi-processor systems? :?

14. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

I bet U3'll run like shit on today's high-end systems. It'll be choppy, and levels will take half an age to load. Swiney's an asstacular coder, of course it'll suck, all his engines have run like shit on below-top-of-the-line systems.

15. MasterBaiter

Regular

:roll:

:lol:

I know tons of people who are running "below-top-of-the-line" systems and run UE games just fine.

16. Leto

Newcomer

Your joking right Guden?

17. XxStratoMasterXx

Regular

1.) Sweeney does not do the engine's by himself, and Unreal Engine 3 was programmed by many people, and Sweeney did not program the renderer.

2.) I find that Unreal Engine 2 based titles run exceptionally well, and have great visual quality and fidelity.

18. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

:shock:

It is probably the most clueless post in recent months, including the summer... :D

19. kyleb

Veteran

It's not Sweeney's code per-say, but developers of unreal engine games do tend to try and push the ablities of the engine to the point were even the most powerful engines will struggle. If you want to try and argue this point with me, first load up BR-Disclosure from UT2003 with a reasonable number of bots and check your framerate; even the fastest systems on the lowest settings will struggle with that.

20. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

struggle with disclosure? mmmm, maybe if you're talking about CPU usage, but GPU usage? nuhuh...

I've never had a problem with any of the BR levels. none of them are that intense.