Twisted Metal PS3

patsu

Legend
Was looking for TM info:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398434

STORYLINE
High atop his penthouse office, a mysterious ringleader named Calypso lords over the contest of vehicle combat known as Twisted Metal. He returns again to host the ultimate contest of skill and destruction. Contestants have been chosen to compete and, should they emerge victorious, win whatever prize their heart desires.

GO ONLINE AS A DISCIPLE
• Fight online as a disciple of one of four factions, each based on a classic Twisted Metal character.
• Supports up to 16 players online through PSN.
• Play with friends in 2- 4 player split-screen and online as well.
• Featuring a variety of gameplay types including series’ favorite and new, unique game modes.

MASSIVE DESTRUCTION
• With the power of PS3 system, unleash massive amounts of destruction in brand new, never before seen Twisted levels.
• Deliver destruction to strategically change the face of the level, or just cause incredible chaos.

NEW VEHICLES, NEW WEAPONS, NEW ENVIRONMENTS
• Featuring a complete arsenal of weapons that make for more creative kills, from missiles and miniguns to giant magnets and flying mascots; players always have a way to take someone out.
• Choose from over a dozen Twisted vehicles, each outfitted with special weapons to strategically dismantle opponents.
• Flight is a first for the franchise. One of the new vehicles in Twisted Metal to take full advantage of flight is the Talon, a helicopter armed to the teeth with a minigun turret.
• Disciples team their rides up in various modes to wreak havoc on the enemy such as using the Talon as a magnet to pick up teammates and rain double the destruction down below.

UNIQUE SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN
• Fight for the prize of one wish fulfilled by Calypso, the Twisted Metal mastermind.
• Twisted Metal will feature full PSN Trophy support, making players’ accomplishments that much more satisfying.

As expected, more games going split screen. Good candidate for stereoscopic 3D.

David Gaffe interview @ San Diego Comic-Con 2010:

[gt]702453[/gt]

That was an awesome interview. Geoff Keighley really knows how to do an interview compare to all the generic ones out there.

The only thing I'm disappointed is the 3 character storylines. I think TM has always been about the characters. It gave the vehicles personality. From a gameplay standpoint, yes your playing the vehicles and blowing stuff up but the driver behind them gave them some life. It was the reason why I wanted to play through every vehicle, because I wanted to see the back story to these lunatics. That was the replay value to me.

TM2 and TMB are the best ones. Do yourself a favor and play those games. :devilish:

David Gaffe interview @ San Diego Comic-Con 2010:

[gt]702453[/gt]

thanks for the link!

great interview...although I liked the stuff about God of War more than Twisted Metal (although, they finally managed to grap my attention in mentioning that there will be a Single Player mode...)!

OT:
Damn, Jaffe's GOW story sounded really cool!! Why the hell did he leave the team? I cannot understand this decision...having the chance to work with one of the best teams in the world on one of the best franchises of the world just to come back with your inital franchise?!
I think you can really see that Jaffe's still connected to Kratos ...

That was an awesome interview. Geoff Keighley really knows how to do an interview compare to all the generic ones out there.

The only thing I'm disappointed is the 3 character storylines. I think TM has always been about the characters. It gave the vehicles personality. From a gameplay standpoint, yes your playing the vehicles and blowing stuff up but the driver behind them gave them some life. It was the reason why I wanted to play through every vehicle, because I wanted to see the back story to these lunatics. That was the replay value to me.

TM2 and TMB are the best ones. Do yourself a favor and play those games. :devilish:

Geoff Keighley is bad comedy, David was going to reveal the existance of Single player mode at comic con or he did already by the time of the interview but he refused to cave in to Geoff for an exclusive scoop. Geoff Keighley always tries to ask devs questions trying to get them to slip up with not so good at all or any skill as most devs are prone to reveal things they should not, take the interview with a grain of salt, David only said three characters yet at E3 which was a month and a half there was no mention of this and yet there are still magazine stories to go, there are still other trade shows to go.

BTW earlier this year there was an interview with David Jaffee in EGM, I read it, he neither confirmed nor deny not really slip up on Twisted Metal sequel, he mostly talked about himself, how he worked in making games and how he wanted his own company the man knows his press pressure.

OT:
Damn, Jaffe's GOW story sounded really cool!! Why the hell did he leave the team? I cannot understand this decision...having the chance to work with one of the best teams in the world on one of the best franchises of the world just to come back with your inital franchise?!
I think you can really see that Jaffe's still connected to Kratos ...

Um you do realize how sensitive a topic it would have been had he made it the way he said in the interview IMHO he is mostly exagerating the story since mostly hardcore gamers watch interviews, obviously not the mixing of the paganized religions but his version of the ending...;)

Interview revealing what'd be in Twisted Metal:
http://loot-ninja.com/2010/08/11/david-jaffe-talks-twisted-metal-with-loot-ninja/

LN: The last Twisted Metal had only some online multiplayer capability. You had [Twisted Metal] Black back in the day, then you guys worked on Calling All Cars. What did you really learn from that to bring into this to really enhance the multiplayer experience?

Jaffe: Well, I mean, the biggest thing I learned was you can never put enough stuff on the disk. So the first thing we did to get the company up and running was a port of Twisted Metal Head On and we packed that disk so full of extras and levels. Because the lesson we learned on Calling all Cars was “It’s 10 bucks, 3 levels we should be fine”. And gamers were like “Fuck you mother fuckers,” and they were right. We learned that it’s like when you think you’ve put enough content in, put in more. Because people spend their hard earned money and they want value, so I think that’s why you see so many modes and variations on those modes in the new Twisted Metal. I learned that. I learned that failure is not bad and it will actually take you to the next level if you allow yourself to learn from it. [Calling All Cars] wasn’t a failure, but it wasn’t a level of success that we wanted it to be. I think if you look at Nuke mode, there’s some similarities between that and Calling All Cars and we’ve tried to sort learn from the failures of aspects of game design and apply it to the new Nuke mode. So, there are a lot of lessons in that.

:LOL: I don't think he's necessarily right, but I suspect his fans will appreciate the gesture.

In an interview, Jaffe also stated that there will be some kind of SP campaign?!
I will have watch this if it is a real campaign wiht story, I might be interested if so...

So you have to secure the enemy leader, then hold them in the rocket launcher zone for a minute to charge it up, then guide the missile so it isn't taken out before it hits the statue, where an interruption at any point means starting again from the beginning, and do this three times. The chances for failure seem so numerous that I can see games taking forever to win, like Fat Princess.

So you have to secure the enemy leader, then hold them in the rocket launcher zone for a minute to charge it up, then guide the missile so it isn't taken out before it hits the statue, where an interruption at any point means starting again from the beginning, and do this three times. The chances for failure seem so numerous that I can see games taking forever to win, like Fat Princess.

Yeah, this is what I thought as well!
Seems to be very difficult to score, I suppose that roughly equal strong teams will often draw and I am not sure if this is satisfactory for gamers?

The steps may be locked in irreversible stages like MAG. But I also agree it'd be a difficult win like MAG again.

I suspect there is no clan specific maps ?

In an interview, Jaffe also stated that there will be some kind of SP campaign?!
I will have watch this if it is a real campaign wiht story, I might be interested if so...

3 playable characters in single player with 9 different endings. Each character gets 3 types of ending depending on difficulty. A 4th character is avaliable online multiplayer for the faction mode.

Sweet Tooth, Dollface and Mr. Grimm are the only playable characters in single player. Preacher is the other character avaliable online only.

The storyline with go the live action route similar to the first TM. Gone is the comic book style and CG cutscenes.

There has been some die hard TM fans that miss all the other characters from past TM games. Jaffe is looking into this and may do something to satisfy the fans.

I agree with the presenter Twisted Metal is one of the classic games on the PlayStation. Great memories. My best friend (who's still my best friend nowadays) since my childhood had a PlayStation -and he also purchased PlayStation 2 when it was launched- and I used to play different games at his house, or just watching him playing. He also had an Atari first, a NES and a Mega Drive I used to play at his house, but that's another story.

Twisted Metal was one of my favourite games of the PlayStation 1, along with Gran Turismo, and some football -the soccer type- games. Sigh.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia factor since I was just a kid, because the graphics didn't age well at all, but it was really stunning and fun back then.

I'm kind of interested in the new Twisted Metal, out of curiosity at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, am not a fan of Twisted Metal. Never played it before. I thought the ad fits the game. Clowns always feel freaky to me, 'specially in a triller. ^_^

From last year's E3, but I had not seen this before. This game is ultra coooooooool ! :D !

Hands ON Demo with David Jaffe :

Explicit content at the beginning :LOL: !

Back