*twirly* Bethesda tech trade-offs

I've always wondered why every first person RPG with guns hasn't just ripped off Ion Storm's skill system from Deus Ex (the 'jittery cursor'), it negated player skill and forced shots to miss in the same way dice rolls do but without the feeling of having been cheated of your hit 'Goddammit VATS the cursor was on their head Aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!111111'

There's a good reason for it. Players absolutely hate when they miss, when their aim is where it should be. This was a hot topic in around the time of Half-Life 2 (mostly didn't have miss system, some weapon spread or slow projectiles iirc) and Vampire Bloodlines (yeah, you could miss, one of the hardest fights I've done in any game was graveyard zombie swarm, trying to get headshots with unskilled magnum) release. I think around that time many game development teams started to use focus groups to find out what players in general like and what they dislike. This was one of those things players hated... well, players hated many things and later we got terms like "consolization" or "dumbing down" to describe changes that happend over the years (fair or not).

I think Bethesda understand that they are not great storytellers. I've always seen their games more like The Sims, then other CRPGs. We give you the tools, you create your own story. Sure, they have crappy writing, horrible Gamebryo engine, wooden animations, stupid plotlines and 10 people to do all the voice acting. I hate to admid that in weird way, it works. I enjoyed my 300 hours of Skyrim, just because I could create interesting events for myself. And while not for me, I can see someone collecting 1000 wheels of cheese. Yeah, it's like Minecraft or Sims or just getting silly with your local dungeon master in PnP RPG. In those kind of scenarios, crappy combat or even ugly engine and graphics might not hinder enjoyment much. That said, I'll wait for deep discount, just like I did with Skyrim. Because in the end, graphics and engine matter to me.

Back