Twilight for the Wii...Dawn for XB360 & PS3...Magnum Opus for Rockstar San Diego.

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
Red Dead Redemption is going to spur the XB360 & PS3 to sales growth. It is one of those "events" that happens during a console cycle that really can't be predicted in advance, but the impact changes the inertia of sales.

Red Dead Redemption not being on the Wii is going to stymie Nintendo. The early review scores for Red Dead Redemption are already stellar.

I don't think Nintendo can counter this red dawn.

Are we back in 2008? Grand Theft Auto 4 was a much bigger game in a much bigger series and it did very little for the PS3+360.

Are we back in 2008? Grand Theft Auto 4 was a much bigger game in a much bigger series and it did very little for the PS3+360.

The prices of both the XB360 & PS3 are lower now...I think they'll connect with the average consummer more.

Word of mouth takes a bit of time to spread of course. A great game is fuel for the fire.

Will it end up more significant than even Shadowrun?

(the true reason why the Xbox 360 competed so well against the PS3)

Will it end up more significant than even Shadowrun?

(the true reason why the Xbox 360 competed so well against the PS3)

At the end of the day Shadowrun is a great game with a few flaws. Microsoft execs seemed to have botched more than FASA.

It runs at 720p with 2xA.A. with a fairly solid frame rate.

Oh RDR will sell very very good...they are advertising it quite nicely and game is getting some ridiculously good scores.

Shouldn't this be in the Red Dead Redemption thread?

For the effect on the Wii?

This is along the lines of GTA 3 for the Playstation 2. The Gamecube/Xbox were crushed.

Obviously the Wii has been high on the horse until this point in the console cycle, but the wings of Icarus might be on the verge of being melted.

For the effect on the Wii?

This is along the lines of GTA 3 for the Playstation 2. The Gamecube/Xbox were crushed.

Obviously the Wii has been high on the horse until this point in the console cycle, but the wings of Icarus might be on the verge of being melted.

Are u drunk or something ? :) - You can't be serious.

I don't think any particular game will be responsible. It's all about the catalogue, price, value proposition and the uptake of HD by the mass market. Those factors are nearing hitting a sweet spot that could cause an explosion in sales. Just as those machines can be sold at a profit as well.

Very true Danalys...

I think the OP is also forgetting the fact that the "Wild Western" setting will most definitely have the same broad appeal across the global gamer-scape than GTA3 or GTA:San Andreas would for example.

I'm quite sure that this game will sell very very well in the states, but will not sell nearly as well on it's own back in Europe and Asia. I'm also very confident that this game will make little to no difference to console sales at this point in the cycle (for reasons very well articulated by my man Danalys).

GTAV?!?! well... that's a whole different barrel of fish ;-)

I very, very much doubt that the Wii is selling primarily to the demographic that wants to play Red Dead Redemption, and thus this game will mean the end of the Wii. Those kind of people are already on the HD console bandwagon.

The biggest strengths of the Wii are currently:
- lots of software that's attractive to children. There are a lot of children, and they all get consoles these days. The Wii has the most toy-like appeal, which matters to parents who generally buy them.
- Nintendo Software. Nintendo have grown into being the current undisputed king of casual game developers, thanks to a thorough understanding of the interplay between hardware and software innovation, and 'what casuals want'

None of these things have anything to do with games like Red Dead Redemption. Bully 2 would have been a bigger threat, or perhaps if Rockstar had managed to create RDR as a game suitable for kids under 12.

The real threat to the Wii are without a doubt the new motion controllers. If paired with decent software, then families will be able to choose a HD console and be able to satisfy at least a large part of the Wii's attraction, i.e. the party games / Wii Sports type affairs. And the added features that the camera offers will help.

However, stealing back Nintendo's current mindshare will take years, and some significant missteps on Nintendo's part. Nintendo has a lot of cash now and they are in an excellent position. It's up to them to mess things up.

GTAV?!?! well... that's a whole different barrel of fish ;-)
Indeed! I heard GTA IV is a mini-game in Red Dead Redemption. There's a water barrel just south of the starting point, and when you approach it, the whole game is just in there.

What's with this Nintendo hatin'?
However, stealing back Nintendo's current mindshare will take years, and some significant missteps on Nintendo's part. Nintendo has a lot of cash now and they are in an excellent position. It's up to them to mess things up.
You're also forgetting that there are a selection of solid hardcore titles on the console as well. If anything, the Wii can take shares from the standard hardcore markets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone's gonna be disappointed by May NPD numbers.

Honestly, I'm higly debating picking up a Wii to play SMG2. SMG1 is easily a top 3 game of this generation and by far the best platformer since Super Mario World.

I'm just holding off for a fall for a super package that has SMG2 and NSMB bundled in.

I'm just holding off for a fall for a super package that has SMG2 and NSMB bundled in.
I was thinking about holding off getting a Wii last year untill the Black one came out but all of those holliday sales tempted me to buy it before Christmas.

Totally worth it considering the selections I got.

Back