Tunic [XB, PC, XGP, PS]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
It's been shown during a few different events in the ID@XBox montages. Unfortunately there hasn't been any solid word on release date.

Here's the initial trailer and gameplay from early on:

Update on Tunic via an interview with the developer Andrew Shouldice & Ryan McAffrey @ IGN...

IGN: Is the finish line of the game in sight now? Can you confidently say that 2021 is going to be the year that we all finally get to play it?
ANDREW: No official-official date yet, but I am super excited about finishing TUNIC. More work has been done on this game in the past year than any year before, which feels really good.

https://www.ign.com/articles/tunic-a-long-awaited-update-on-xboxs-adorable-zelda-like

At least it came with a new screenshot...

Tunic_blogroll-watermark-720x405.jpg

Tommy McClain

Like the knightlore-like artstyle but for some reason it looks very jerky (and Im not talking about after the attacks where theres a slight pause) just walking along it looks like its stuttering, frame timing issues looks like.
Just looked the E3 2018 trailer doesnt have this. Should be an easy fix to solve, esp since it wasnt there before

I love that the DoF completely disappears once you get into gameplay view. I was a bit worried when the game starts and there so much DoF as it starts zooming down to the play area.

The aesthetics combined with the music gives this a great atmosphere. Makes the exploration part feel so relaxing. Then for the boss fight instead of making you anxious or on edge with edgy or aggressive music, they just remove the music entirely allowing you concentrate on the fight itself with no other distracts. IMO, great choice. Boss fights in many cases is already stressful enough, I don't need music artificially making it even more stressful (one of the reasons I turn off music in most games).

Regards,
SB

Will things gets explained in this game?

Played for a few hours and it seems it keeps adding more and more mysteries without explaining things.

Feels like the infamous "mystery box" formula. Feels like I'm playing Destiny

so far so good. As you progress more the manual translate the language and game systems for you. You start to figure out the story etc.

so far so good. As you progress more the manual translate the language and game systems for you. You start to figure out the story etc.

I hope it will explain those things. Why there's a game manual? Why some things are in earth language only, some are in tunic language only, and some are bilingual.

Then there's also in-world stuff like, why there's a key lying in the middle of the ground? Who prepared the indoors with torches, ropes, etc?

Why everything looks cute AF, even the bosses? The grasses!

But seriously. It really feels like destiny.

Including the abundance of invisible walls, and the physics / animation exploit to win and/or escape.

I hope it will explain those things. Why there's a game manual? Why some things are in earth language only, some are in tunic language only, and some are bilingual.

Then there's also in-world stuff like, why there's a key lying in the middle of the ground? Who prepared the indoors with torches, ropes, etc?

Why everything looks cute AF, even the bosses?
Yes there are bosses. Treat it like dark souls, the main mechanics are pretty similar.
Everything is in tunic language. When you pick up glowing squares the manual pages start to fill in giving you clues on how things work.
There is no mechanic that you are barred from doing in the game without the manual. There is no hard stop progression except the need for a sword, as without it you cannot cut down bushes. But once you cut your way through to the other side, they stop that since the tutorial of the game is over.

If you haven't found the sword yet, you should just run by everything looking for it.

isnt its not everything is in tunic language?

for example the manual. Some part of it have earth language only. E.g. on the speech bubble. While the instructions are in tunic. Is this just "its a design element to make it look cool and mysterious" with zero relevance to the story? the manual book scattered around, have no relevance to the story? then why incorporate it in such way into the game, as if it is part of tunic's reality?

or we are a higher dimension being that possessed the cute fox in tunic realm, and other higher dimension beings scattered the manual in the tunic realm to help us? (uh.. again, kinda like Destiny)

as for battles, yes its like destiny (and BOTW) where i can exploit the physics / animation to handle them. a really neat thing that i wish more and more games do this.

Anyone know When will things start to get explained?

The mysteries keeps adding up at ridiculous rate. But nothing gets explained (yet?)

Gameplay wise, the game allows the sword to be optional as the enemies can be lured to open path. I stupidly explorer far away without sword. Then I back track. Oooh there's a sword. Lol.

The mystery & not belonging elements are by design. Read some of the interviews with the developers.

I've been following Tunic for a long time and reading about its influences from The Legend of Zelda for perhaps just as long. What were some of the key design philosophies you took away from the series? Was there anything in the series in particular that inspired or informed the process for Tunic?

Shouldice:
Since the very beginning there's been this really particular, highly-specific feeling that I got playing the old Zelda games, this feeling of genuine discovery and mystery, and knowing that there are things about this world that you don't quite understand.

The example in Zelda is the bombable wall. Imagine you've never seen a bombable wall before in your life. And suddenly, you discover one accidentally. You haven't just found a bombable wall. The piece of information that has been added to your understanding of this world is not, "there is a wall right there that I can bomb, and there's a door behind it". It's that there are vulnerable walls in this world. Any wall that I looked at previously, and thought "that's a wall, I know, everything there is to know about it", is now a question mark, how big this world is suddenly just got a little bit bigger. It's that particular feeling that comes from a lot of different games, especially old games, not necessarily because they're old, but because we were young when we played them so that feeling of wonderment was maybe a little bit stronger.

So that was the goal. I hope we hit that. All signs are pointing to "yes". When people play the game, they say that they get that feeling, which is heartening.

Let's talk about the design around the game's secrets. Andrew in another interview, you summarized Tunic’s gameplay as, "exploring the countryside, fighting monsters and finding secrets". I like the idea that there are all these secrets hidden in the game; I think it's a great way to reinvent a repetitive space and make it seem very exciting and new again. I also noticed on the [in-game] signs, you have a glyph made-up language. According to some of the chatter online, that's something that people can actually translate and figure out through other context clues in the game. Is there anything you can share with me about developing that glyph language?

Shouldice:
The glyphs are really there to help evoke this feeling of being in a place where you don't belong. So, if anyone's had the experience of either reading an instruction manual, from a game that's in a language that you don't speak, or even reading an instruction manual, when you're like three years old, and being like, I don't know any of these words...you automatically get that sense of wonderment like, what does this mean? It could mean anything! And having people feel like they're a stranger in a strange land, they don't know everything that's going on--that was sort of the key idea behind not only the glyph language, but the instruction manual in general, you know, it's just bursting with secrets and mysteries for you to to find.

As for people chattering online about [the glyphs] meaning anything…I don't think it means anything.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/desig...o-one-an-interview-with-the-team-behind-tunic

Tommy McClain

seems the game is not for me. As the things mentioned in those interview actually pulled me from being immersive in the mysteries as the mysteries are very "mystery box" formula.

Sure, some are good mysteries like the infamous "bombable wall", and Tunic even put an ever better freedom on it (e.g. You may think sword is required to explore areas blocked by cute trees. Nope! enemies can be baited to chop down trees! no sword needed!)

But most things in Tunic are just "mystery box". I have visited these regions (pardon the names, i don't remember them)
- east arena
- west west arena
- some kind of beach with lots of ruins
- spider forest
- sniper fortress

but none of these gets explained (yet?)

- who placed key in the middle of the ground, and why?
- Why the people are hostile to the fox, despite fox is considered as a god or some such.
- Who kept the fox holy statues stay lit? (the game even make you even more curious by showing some holy fox satues unlit)
- Why some part the manual is only in earth-language instead of tunic?
- Who placed the manual in the ground, and why?
- Who wrote the manual? how they write it, and why?
- who prepared the torches, ropes, etc? why?

If they are just "obviously they are video game element!" then it was deliberately made to be misleading. The developer even baited the player with deliberately making some holy fox statue unlit!

What I'm afraid is that the developer simply went with "mystery box" formula, and will keep piling more and more mysteries with no explanation/answer. To exploit people's lust for mysteries and make the game story seems deeper by exploiting player's imagination and speculations.

Im still playing because the game is fun, and people on other places I've asked says that things will get explained.

But after exploring various regions, i has not got ANY answers. Not even 1. Its the opposite of answers actually. the game keeps piling me with more and more mysteries.

So long as we know who made the tunic, what material it's made from* and what seam stitching was used, I'm good.

* The in universe textiles industry needs to be adequately explained. Preferably in it's own 4x game.

For that matter, where did the mushrooms come from in Mario? I demand to know.
Shigeru Miyamoto stated in an interview a long time ago, that the super mushroom (that makes Mario larger) was based on the magic mushrooms which were inspired by Alice in Wonderland. By this point the team has spent long thinking about mushrooms the whole mushroom thing just got out of hand. You don't spend ages drawing mushrooms in crap 8-bit graphics editors and not use them for something! :runaway:

edit: missed word!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back