Trying to upgrade Bubbles, take the one after the last one...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Got a mailer for a $99us 24" monitor that seemed like a good deal, saw a 240GB SSD for $34us and thought "WTF?!?!", so I went and checked DDR4 prices...

..and there were 2x8GB sets for under $100US! :O

So I'm gonna be trying again to upgrade my lovely lady Bubbles. Needing a new CPU/mobo/memory for now, the rest is fine. (Well the 680 GTX won't cut it but I'll swap it with my wife's 390 and that should give me 1920x1080 gaming happies for a while.)

I was poking around Microcenter and found the following upgrades, total $341.74us after taxes, and was curious on any thoughts anyone might have. I could cut the price by $20 going to a Ry5 1600 instead of the 2600, and I could cut another $20 by going from DDR 3000 to DDR 2400, but the 2400 is CL17 and the 3000 is CL15. Was curious if I'm cutting too much or not enough.

Here's the bits:

ASRock B450 PRO4 AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6 Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

GoldKey Technology Neo Forza Faye 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 PC4-24000 CL15 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit - Red

Any input/advice? I think it's definitely $341.73 worth of upgrades for sure, it won't just give me back my gaming it'll give me back some NICE gaming! :D

For memory, don't pay for a faster speed grade unless you know it'll run at the higher speed with the MB/CPU combination you have.

Ryzen CPU/MB combos can still be pretty picky about what memory they'll clock high with.

Regards,
SB

Ryzen love high speed memories, so aim for the higher - speced ones.

Wrt to compatibility 8 GB sticks should be quite easy to handle.

Personally I've bought a QVL kit for my (x299) motherboard, and it just wouldn't boot in XMP. After RMA and second kit arrived, same problem. The processor does get a say in memory compatibility, not only the mother board. So saying that claimed compatibility is no guarantee

Yeah, go for the 2600. That is what I upgraded to recently when Newegg had a bundle with a x470 mobo for $250. RAM was still more expensive when I was building so I paid $150 for a 16GB kit. I boned myself a little because I totally forgot my case was itx only so I had to add on another $40 for something that would fit the atx mobo in the bundle.

Note that you definitely don't need an X470 chipset, a B450 will be fine. I just built a gaming PC for my daughter with a 2200 and got a B350 motherboard for $50 new with BIOS already updated for Ryzen+. Got a decent set of 3000Mhz RAM to ensure it ran better, making sure I picked something from the QVL for compatibility.

I was just wondering, what's the difference between the 450 and 470 and I definitely think I want a 4-series over a 3-series mobo...am I right?

I was just wondering, what's the difference between the 450 and 470 and I definitely think I want a 4-series over a 3-series mobo...am I right?
This should help. I highly doubt there's anything in the 470 you'll need over a 450. You should definitely go for a 4-series over a 3-series unless you really want to save that $30 or whatever it might be.

uikcg3hVXONqfMDf.jpg

Back to the land of the ubercheap, just noticed Ry5 1600 are on sale at MicroCenter for $79.99us and you can get $30 off a combo deal with a mobo...which they have one for $79.99.

Also 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4-3000 is $89.99. :O

Unless I'm mistaken that's $220 before taxes or so, and about $12 in tolls and an hour and a half of driving. Gonna leave the links just so I remember it.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

https://www.microcenter.com/product/509728/fatal1ty-b450-gaming-k4-am4-atx-amd-motherboard

https://www.microcenter.com/product...c4-24000-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit

$236.50 total if I go to the Westmont Illinois store instead of the Chicago one, 3% cheaper tax.

Damned if it don't sound like a hell of a deal to me, add a PSU and it could be a system. The 450 mobo has vega graphics, so at least I can see what the what is!

I really had given up on the idea of upgrading my PC, but this would be more than enough to get me gaming again I think at 1080p pretty well. :) (I still plan to steal my wife's 390 for graphics. ;) )

After much consideration, nail-biting, frustration, internal debate, and consultation with enthusiasts and industry experts I have decided to put off the upgrade for a little bit. I think there will be better deals near/after the Ryzen 3 (really 2..) and memory prices are projected to continue to decline for the next 6 months.

That and I'm just plain tapped out right now. Had to put $5k in to my car last month unexpectedly and it puts a crimp in the financials, not a good time to push the wife. ;)

I'll post up at the next attempt, or if i happen to accidentally come across a few hundred bucks and take an impromptu drive. (it's been known to happen believe it or not. LOL )

Or I could wake up this morning and my wife could surprise the hell out of me by remembering my birthday and when I asked her if she has any plans for the day she could say, "I was going to take you up to Microcenter and see if there was anything there you'd like.", and blow my mind. :D

Last chance to change my mind on things, so I spent the last hour checking their stock and the internet for compatibility. This is it:

ASRock B450 PRO4
G.Skill Aegis 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 PC4-24000 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit
and of course, an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6 Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler.

Should come to around $235us after taxes I think? Seems like a HELL of a deal, and it's really gonna happen! :D

HELP!!!!

Should I grab a 580 too? They have some pretty cheap open box ones with manufactures warranty plus a 30 day store return:

https://www.microcenter.com/product...x-580-dual-fan-8gb-gddr5-pcie-video-card?ob=1

I think the only limit on my budget is me, so why not go all out? A 580 shuold be good enough for anything at 1080, shouldn't it? If not, what there is or is there better/cheaper?!? HELP!!

Gonna go shower, then we leave. Got about an hour and a half total to figure this out...

https://www.microcenter.com/product...x-580-dual-fan-8gb-gddr5-pcie-video-card?ob=1

Back