Trying for a father's day upgrade...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Just curious what y'all thought of my latest bargain upgrade scheme, Microcenter is having another bloody sale:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/..._AM4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Spire_Cooler

http://www.microcenter.com/product/476397/AB350_Pro4_AM4_ATX_AMD_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/product/446297/Ballistix_Sport_LT_8GB_2_x_4GB__DDR4-2400_PC4-19200_UDIMM_CL16_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory

(That's a Ryzen 5 1600 with spire cooler, Asrock Pro4 mobo, and 2x4GB of DDR4-2400)http://www.microcenter.com/product/...-19200_UDIMM_CL16_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory

Total cost, $328.71 after taxes.

The only iffy bit for me is the memory, I'd really prefer 8x2 for 16GB...but that takes the price to damn near $400 and that would be way too much for my wife I think.

So anyways, how's it look? I apologize for the lousy formatting, I messed up sharpening a knife about a week ago in the kitchen and have 7 stitches in the index finger of my right hand so it makes typing a biatch for me.

Oh, and anyone with a facebook account who feels like telling my wife how great a deal it is? You're more than welcome to, link included below.

Thanks again in advance and long time no see. I haven't been on anywhere much, not being able to type well REALLY sucks. :(

Link to facebooj posy

Thought about it and I can't say I disagree, but the memory you posted got awful reviews compared to the Crucial.

Besides, go on Facebook and tell my wife that! I know it already. ;)

It's stupid, but I think my wife believes what people post in my threads about computers more than me. She knows I know them, but she also secretly believes that I'm trying to weasel extra kit or un-needed upgrades in all the time. (In fairness, I did earn that in the early years of our marriage but I've improved MASSIVELY since then)

Not disagreeing as I think 2x8GB would be much better, but under $330 is way different than the $390 it'd be with the Crucial 2x8GB and 8GB is enough for me to game happy at 1920x1080 for a bit longer. :)

Thanks for all the advice, but this is another failed attempt. My wife just removed my stitches and when I hinted to her about Father's Day she explained that the bloody new pool pump I ordered yesterday and my $1,200 bill to the ER for my finger were my presents. My daughter had been taking pictures of us pulling the stitches out, but then she was so excited because she swears she caught the moment my dream died in my eyes after my wife told me that. :|

826086.jpg 826088.jpg 826089.jpg 826091.jpg 826140.jpg 826141.jpg

It'll happen some day, just not any day soon.

A quick update because it seems just so fucking me that I thought y'all would get the funny/irony/fml-ness of it. :)

From a long ranty Faceballs post:

Literally spent the first few hours of father's day tearing down Bubbles since she did a hard crash at about 10pm and wouldn't boot after that. She crashed as I exited a game, and I knew from them purple/grey stripes on the screen it wasn't a good crash. Figured I lost the viddy card, but I'd spent too much time in the yard that day and just couldn't take anymore so I went in bed and pulled the covers over my head to have myself a good weep. Whatever the problem was, no one was going to believe the timing of it. After finding out I'm not getting my muchly wanted computer upgrade for Father's Day and a pain-in-the-ass to install new pump for the pool instead it seemed a stretch that my 'puter died the night before father's day.
So after a few hours of feeling sorry for myself I got REALLY pissed at myself for wasting my time feeling sorry for myself and got out of bed and grabbed my trusty lucky phillips head screwdriver and my mouthlight and pulled Bubbles out and got busy!
It was the viddy card, the one bit of kit besides the PSU/HDDs/case that I wasn't going to upgrade. :(
No use whining, pulled it and put the emergency card in (Gainward 1GB 9800GTX, old but it never seems to die), put Bubbles back and she promptly gave me grief with all her fans suddenly turning on/off. Pull her out, investigate, find I've pulled loose a wire from the molex connector to the fan controls and there is no way to reattach it. <sigh>
Got mad, got frustrated, then finally got clever and pulled an old molex connector out of the drawer and chopped the wires off. I didn't have room to fix the connection, but I did have enough room to pigtail new wires to the old ones and extend a new molex further out. Plugged it in and it all seems to work.
This morning she was still working. After about 20 minutes of web cruising she locked up, but at least she rebooted again.
So my big father's day plans are to go work on my backyard and pool, then go tear out the old spa pump in preparation for the new one coming either tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm just hoping nothing else decides to try my patience today.
1f641.png

Can't make this shit up. <sigh>

I spent a bunch of my Father's day today putting square holes in our desks to provide venting for the PC's, and to prepare for adding 120mm fans for exhaust. Also took the extended family out this morning for breakfast.

Then my wife came home from the grocery store and said, "Would you like me to take you to the computer store?". I actually said "No, the bit that busted last night makes it from something we can't afford to something we REALLY can't afford."

Where the fuck is the "bang your head in to the wall" emoji when you need it?

FML, I'mma gonna go clean a pool and then jam my f-ing messed up finger into a heavy duty glove and pull a tree from my backyard to my front. I'd say I may get lucky and get a heart attack and die, but I'm too insanely bloody healthy and in shape for that. :(

I feel for you... needing a new computer and not being able to afford it sucks. But who knows maybe prices for a CPU and some RAM will come down by the time you're ready to upgrade. But as you said you're in the market for a new GPU too, maybe vega will help gpu prices as well.

It's not like I'm living in hardship, we just currently got too many other things we need to do/fix for me to indulge myself like that. It wouldn't feel right.

I'm gonna keep hunting for deals, and I'm gonna upgrade. I think my wife is supportive of it now which should make it a LOT easier, but I got some stuff around the house/yard/pool I gotta get done before I feel comfortable indulging myself like that.

Oh, and I moved the whole damned tree and it didn't even wind me. Cut the over grown grass and trimmed the entirety of the back, looks a ton better. :)

Oh, and I moved the whole damned tree and it didn't even wind me. Cut the over grown grass and trimmed the entirety of the back, looks a ton better. :)
Good on you. It seems like you work hard, but you know what they say work hard play hard.
As far as it not feeling right, I get that but it seems you've been an avid gamer for a long time so it must be hard to be in your situation. A 1gig graphic card right? You'll only be able to play older games on that right? I haven't really been playing games lately but I know people having been saying 3 or 4 gigs minimum VRAM.

Actually I sort of had a stupid idea since my wife seemed so bummed I wouldn't let her upgrade me since it would be like $581.81 now just to get something that would game decent.

Then I had a thought, my wife doesn't game. She doesn't need a gaming card,just something solid for web cruising, streaming videos, and watching movies on. So I started poking around microcenter and found this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/459965/GeForce_GT_730_4GB_PCI-e_Video_Card

With my original Ry5 1600 build with only 2x4GB of ram I could get away with it for $420.18 and then steal my wife's R9 390X and have a pretty decent gamer.

I was thinking I'd need at least 3GB of GPU memory for good viddy playback, but we're both still at 1920x1080 so is that overkill? Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap GPU I could swap out her card with and she wouldn't notice? (I'll tell her, but I don't want it to be a noticeable image quality/playback thing going in)

I'm not good with low-end stuff like this, any recommend a decent cheapy that's good for a windows 10 rig? 8320e, some decent mobo, 8GB DDR3, and a totally underused R9 390 a friend gave me when I was in need. She'd love to help me do this, so if anyone sees any cheaper-yet-as-good-for-what-I-need around or has ideas please let me know. :)

Good on you. It seems like you work hard, but you know what they say work hard play hard.
As far as it not feeling right, I get that but it seems you've been an avid gamer for a long time so it must be hard to be in your situation. A 1gig graphic card right? You'll only be able to play older games on that right? I haven't really been playing games lately but I know people having been saying 3 or 4 gigs minimum VRAM.
Agreed, but I still game 1920x1080 and I know the R9 390 was good for that because I traded her for the 7950 when I upgraded her rig figuring she might get back in to gaming. She never did, but loves having a zippy and rock solid computer.

Also avid gamer or not, I'm a dad with a family and kids and they come first. We got my son a new battery for his car in may and promised to insure and license it, but haven't done that due to trips and cuts and stuff. I wanna get that done before I get to get my toys. We shouldn't really have any trouble doing all of it, my wife just never really believes me when I say I need an upgrade or that I say I have found the very best possible bang for the buck and have kept it as low-priced as humanly possible to suit my needs.

Oddly enough, today she did. I guess my kids told her that I have the shittiest computer in the house right now by far, and that includes my daughter's laptop. That gave her some serious contemplations, and the fact that I'd rebuilt her PC for her and my son as well as spending a week or two hunting down the laptop my daughter loves I think might possibly have made her change her position, that and I have been busting my nuts trying to get the yard/house/pool all ready when she knows I really don't give two shits about 'em. Can't play on your PC in the pool and I haven't found a good waterproof control for the sound system yet even. <sigh>

Sorry, more late night babble but at least with some optimism. I'm not upgrading tomorrow or anything, but maybe I can get enough stuff done this week to justify running up to Microcenter next week when my wife is working. (With her knowledge and permission, and a bloody I-pass this time! ;) )

I get knocked down, but I get up again..it's one of my more endearing traits and probably has kept me alive more times than I care to admit. If I can get my son's car working/insured/licensed, the pool finished opening, and install the new hot tub pump and clean the tub out and get it working and tied in to the pool, (it's right next to the pool and can be tied in and have a little water fall constantly overflowing in to the pool, which I like more than I care to admit. The sound is so soothing!), as well as finish getting my house back up to clean and start the landscaping project THEN I will ask about upgrading Bubbles next week.

I'll give myself an opportunity, but I gotta earn it. It might seem stupid but it really helps me at times to set goals like that for myself when others aren't, it's the only way I got that bloody tree moved and the whole mess in my backyard where they were cleaned up. Only took me about 2-3 hours, but nothing super difficult. Just getting the sticks all pointed the right way and then dragging them to the curb, jamming out on my headphones the whole time and singing a long a bit I found out later. My next door neighbor John,( not the one on the other side that's John and Julie, this is the John of John and Diane. He's my racist xenophobic neighbor I've been working on and he is getting better, I think his daughter marrying a black man had a lot to do with it.), mentioned he liked my singing and to not listen to my wife and keep it up. XD

Sorry, babbling...but at least it's in an improved spirit. :)

Keep waiting to upgrade and you might end up with a ThreadRipper or Epyc beast!
A Ry5 1600 will be an epic beast for me after all the time I've put in on this Phenom II 965! :p

They're offering a deal on the Ry7 1700x, $299 with $100 off any compatible mobo. Only trouble is I'm looking at an $89 mobo and trying to keep this as cheap as possible, i can upgrade later.

Back