Trouble with HD5850

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Hazuki Ryu, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

So I have from my old 9800GT to a Powercolor HD5850 a couple of weeks ago and I've been having some problems with it and I'm not really sure where they are coming from, these problems are:

Performance is lower than I expected and compared to other benchmarks I've seen

Example Resident Evil 5 should be getting an average of 88.8 fps at 1920*1200 4xAA and is getting around 66fps at 1920*1080 4xAA.

Crysis GPU benchmark should be getting 26fps on very high 4xAA 1920*1200 and I'm getting 24fps despite the lower resolution very high 4xAA 1920*1080.

GTAIV seems to be performing worse than it did on my 9800GT because not only the framerate is low but it has little breaks too.

Assassin's Creed can drop to as low as 20fps maxed 4xAA 1920*1080

3Dmark 2006

SM2 6295 (I've seen this above 8000)
    SM3 7733 (this above 9000)
    CPU 4473

Bug related issues wich could be driver related but I'll post anyway, I've tried the following catalyst versions: 9.11, 9.12, 9.12 hot fix after a clean windows 7 ultimate install.

Some Lost Planet cutscenes at 5 to 10 fps, settings are all maxed 4xAA performs reasonably well during gameplay.

Red Faction Guerrilla character's with long hair have a buggy hair texture.

Prince of Persia, some weird bugs on the character models and some effects wich look like horizontal stripes.

My specs

q6600 @ 3.2
    4gb ocz reaper 4-4-4-12 @800
    Board Asus P5N-D
    Powercolor HD5850 1GB
    Sound Card Creative x-fi platinum
    PSU - Corsair TX850w
    3 Hard drives the primary being seagate 1.5tb 32mb cache 7200rpm

I think all my games are underperforming at least 20 to 30% compared to other HD5850's benchmarks I've seen, anyone has any idea where the bottleneck might be?

2. Rys

Rys Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

For the situations where you have a result from another system, what is the specification of the system running the 5850 you're comparing to? Although there's not much chance of you being CPU limited at 1080p+ with high levels of AA, it might be worth checking.

Is there a chance the comparison 5850 is overclocked in any way? Have you checked the clocks of your board?

The rendering bugs and non-comparitive performance figures are harder to analyse without more data.

3. Tchock

Regular

Another thing: Is this a clean install?

Though it isn't that popular, try running PCMark 05/Vantage too. Quite a lot of people have the same CPU/RAM/HDD config as you, so that would be a nice control to start with.

4. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Just out of curiosity, have you confirmed the card is clocked to spec?
    Can you read the GPU temp (many tools for this) to make sure there's no throttling?
    It is in at x16 lane?
    All other apps off?
    Can you link to the benches you're comparing with?

5. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

Other cards I've compared to were not overclocked except for a couple of them wich were at 850/1200 but for those I've overclocked mine and the difference was still the same even though improved from my previous tests, I'm going to take some screenshots from the bugs I'm refering to, some of the PCs were a lot like mine others signifcantly better (core i7s)

It is a clean install I'll try the other benches and post the results.

The card is clocked at 725/1000 in 3D, the GPU temp goes up to 70c, I'll look for the links again and post in a second.

6. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

So here's one 3Dmark06 if you scroll down you'll find

http://blog.arogan.com/2009/10/gamer-pc-core-i7-860-p55-ati-radeon-hd.html

Or this one

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5138/showimagephpi.jpg
    [​IMG]

Now compare to my 3dmark06

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9004/benchf.jpg
    [​IMG]

Crysis benchmark from this review @1920*1200 VH 8xAA http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5850,2433-6.html

[​IMG]

Compared to mine 24 fps same settings but lower resolution 1920*1080 and only 4xAA.

Now for the bugs

Prince of Persia

[​IMG]
    http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6440/princeofpersia201001131.png

Red Faction Hair bug (the character on the left is suppoused to be blonde and the hair texture is decent when it's normal)

[​IMG]

7. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

one of your compares is to an i7 at 4.0 GHz while you're running a Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz.

Then in the Tom's you're only 2 fps off and he's running an i7 at 4.0 GHz also.

I'd say your fps are on the mark.

Edit: try to find some Futuremark benches with the same proc. and clockspeed.

8. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

Maybe you're right I'm guessing the bugs would be unrelated then probably driver issues?

I'll keep looking for a closer match.

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The rendering errors are a bit of a concern. Try reseating your video card. Try the video card in the other PCIE slot.

If neither of those resolves the rendering errors you may have a defective card. Is the BIOS on your MB up to date as well?

Also try downclocking the video card to make the rendering errors go away. If they go away with a downclock, again might be a defective card.

I'm also wondering if the card isn't getting sufficient voltage will it have these sorts of problems?

Regards,
    SB

10. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

My MB has got the latest bios, I just tryed to downclock as you suggested to 350/600 my framerate was cut in half in red faction but the hair error remained, as far as the card not getting sufficient voltage I don't really know but I'd think my PSU is fairly capable (corsair tx850w) or do you mean the bios on the card not having voltage set high enough? GPU-Z is reading 1.0875v.

By the way this is my second card I thought it was defective at first so I exchanged it for a new one so unless I'm really unlucky this is something else.

#10 Hazuki Ryu, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2010
  11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Have you tried the other PCIE slot? It's possible one or two of the PCIE connectors aren't making a good connection.

If this is your second card and on a clean install I'm guessing a hardware problem somewhere. Either the PCIE slot, power leads you are using, or something else related to the MB.

I'm assuming that PSU has the 6 pin 2x3 PCIE connectors. If it has more than 2 of them, it might be worth a shot trying the other 2 connectors. Or using the Molex -> PCIE adapters. Although considering a downclock (which would reduce the voltage the card would need presumably) would indicate voltage probably isn't a problem.

I'd really give trying it in the other PCIE slot a try.

If you know someone with a computer that wouldn't mind letting you test your card in their machine, it worth testing it in another machine. That would let you know rather definitively whether you have a good card or not.

Regards,
    SB

12. Davros

Legend

This may sound a little bizzare put you cpu back to stock and see what happens.

13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

going from nvidia to ati allways causes problems. Do a fresh install of the os or bing driver cleaner and use that.

I bet that solves your problems. Also the q6600 while a good value at the time is out classed by many cpus at this point esp the I7's your comparing too .

14. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

First post, did clean install.

15. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

ack my bad.

Prob the cpu over heating

16. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Definitely set the CPU back to stock settings and see if that resolves the issue. Sometimes graphical corruption and game crashes can be caused by the driver, which of course runs on the CPU. If that doesn't alleviate the issue, then the problem is almost certainly a faulty graphics card.

17. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

It would seem to be a CPU bottleneck in some cases, for example resident evil 5 I've noticed during the last benchmark that some cores were hitting 100% load and as I overclocked a bit further I was able to increase the average framerate from 66 to 74.

I've done all of that as you recommended and the problem is still there, this is my second HD5850 I hope I don't have to get another one I think I'll wait for the next drivers to make sure it's not a driver issues with the graphic anomalies, this are the only two games I tried that had the problem, wouldn't it be noticible in other modern games if it was a hardware issue (besides lower performance wich could be something else).

18. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Argh, have you at least tried it in the other PCIE slot yet? :)

I have had cases where a video card had rendering anomalies due to not all pins in the slot making a good connection with the Video card.

Memory is worth checking out also, although if your memory is having problems it'll also manifest in some system instability usually.

Regards,
    SB

19. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

Yeah I did frustrating isn't it :p? I guess I'll try different memories tomorrow. I'll post results if I find the problem be it driver or otherwise, I'm sticking with 9.11 for now they are giving me better performance than 9.12 and 9.12 hotfix.

Thanks a lot for the help.

20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Dang, yeah... Tough one. If memory comes out fine. I'd highly recommend trying it in another machine to try to isolate the cause of the rendering errors.

Regards,
    SB