Trident XP4 Preview Benchmarks

The UT2003 benchmarks says it can do 'it'.

Can do what though?

'It' is a different meaning person to person.

Does it look like it will meet its performance expectations that Trident stated. Of course with AA and Anist off of course. They benchmarked a 250/250 card. The one in question is a 300/300 card. It looked as if it was trailing back quite a bit. Do you think a 50/50 increase in the core/memory may even it with 4200. Just wondering? ;)

Its a shame it only shows the 800x600 numbers, it would be nice to get more data points so we'd have a better idea what it was made of.

I agree with Russ....800x600, especially with UT 2003, doesn't show us too much about this card.

I'm personally not expecting much out of it, relatively speaking. I'd wager the Radeon 9000 Pro will end up being faster in most situations, and a more stable. It will be interesting to see what metric Trident uses to back their claim of 80% GeForce4ti4600 and 70% Radeon 9700....I epxect to see some real marketing there. ;)

However, it appears it will be the second "cheap" DX 8 part on the market, and that's a good thing...assuming it is for the most part stable with decent drivers. I wish Trident the best of luck.

God, I wish he would use something other than UT2003. I don't know how the hell that app and those demos map to any other application in the universe.

A straight 1600x1200 Q3 to judge fillrate and possible HSR/occlusion culling? Even the two artificial fillrate tests with 3DMark2001 would tell me more.

Entropy

My guesstimate (crossing the numbers with Anand´s previous articles) Trident XP4 T2 is 10% to 20% faster than the GF3Ti200 :)

I agree, why use UT2003 - a benchmark nobody except Anand knows, and you have to wonder why 800x600 was used (640 you could claim it a TnL throughput tests or CPU/driver test - 1600 you call it a fill/pixels shader test - but what is 800 ?).

Also this worries me :

We only had time to run through a few Unreal Tournament 2003 tests before Trident had to run to catch their flight, but we were able to get some numbers out of the card; amazingly enough the card ran Unreal Tournament 2003 just fine with some relatively minor rendering issues.

A minor rendering issue can have big performance impact. And why say "just fine" when it had rendering issues ?

It is interesting though to see passive cooling...

K-

Come on everybody ... cut them some slack . Do you want a 80$ card do a 400$ job . Of course the results are not based on AA performance .

And why do you think that a 20% increase in clock speed and a 40% increase in memory speed won't help it get those 30% more it needs ?

The rest of the 10% up to Ti4200 performance will come from normal drivers and a stable & final card .

OpenGL guy, I visited pricewatch and the Radeon 9000 series has a very competitive price :) I thought it was more expensive.

Why UT 2003?? Well... some people actually care how this game plays because they don't like Q3A and would like to know before they get a new card what performance to expect from a game that is coming to store shelves very soon. Me? Yeah, I want the game, but the Geforce 4 will already do so I don't need the card, but I still like to see what the latest builds of the game have to offer, because I can compare (yeah, I was bad and downloaded the beta but I just couldn't wait anymore for that demo!).

pascal said:
OpenGL guy, I visited pricewatch and the Radeon 9000 series has a very competitive price :) I thought it was more expensive.

WOW really competitive :

Radeon 9000 : ~ $71
Radeon 9000Pro : ~ $86

That's really low. The Cards are only available since 1-3weeks(?) but we
see already such low prices. So when the XP4-cards ship the price will be
even lower.

What I find kind of amusing is the what-seems-to-be provision for having a DSUB connector facing upwards, i.e. it would reside inside your case :D
t2card_sm.jpg
[/img]

Back