Trials Evolution Gold Edition (early 2013 release)

:O Best announcement ever!

And seconded... I expect to see fp32 EVSM and high res SDSM shadows hehe ;)

I am not personally leading the graphics engine team for this project (like I did for console versions), but I will forward your requests for them :). fp32 EVSM should be a simple #define change and same is true for shadow map resolution improvements. We had to restrict the shadow map cascade resolutions to 512x512 on console, because of fill rate and memory limitations (it's very hard to reach 16.6ms on current gen consoles, especially with full real time lighting and shadowing). The same limitations are not true for PC.

---

I actually figured out a way to do full (tight culled) SDSM without any lock stalls (or any CPU intervention at all). It naturally requires compute shaders and some DispatchIndirect / DrawInstancedIndirect trickery, and an efficient way to draw any amount of multiple instanced meshes using a single draw call (there's a nice technique for this as well). And the added benefit is that all SM objects can be drawn using a single draw call, boosting up the performance nicely :)
Will it be DX11?
Our PC content development tools and debug builds have ran on top of DX11 API for a long time now. I can't yet say if any DX11 exclusive features (such as compute shaders or tessellation) will be used in Trials Evolution Gold (as the game release is still pretty far away).

Hope it keeps the 360 controller support. Don't get why some PC versions do away with that:???:

DX11 support would be nice, just don't forget us DX10/10.1 users in the process;)

DX11 support would be nice, just don't forget us DX10/10.1 users in the process;)
No worries. Releasing a game today (or next year) that required DX11 GPU would be a suicide :)

According to Steam survey, DX10 minimum requirement is starting to be acceptable (88% of all gamers have DX10+ capable OS and GPU). After next Christmas (lots of new Windows 8 PCs/Ultrabooks/tablets sold) that number should be 90%+ easily.

Hope it keeps the 360 controller support. Don't get why some PC versions do away with that:???:
Our old "Trials 2 Second Edition" PC game had support for Xbox 360 controller (and DirectInput compatible gamepads). I don't think it's going to be any different this time.

TWe had to restrict the shadow map cascade resolutions to 512x512 on console, because of fill rate and memory limitations (it's very hard to reach 16.6ms on current gen consoles, especially with full real time lighting and shadowing). The same limitations are not true for PC.
Cool yeah. I was partially teasing but it would indeed be nice to see what the engine can do with some of the settings cranked a bit higher than current gen consoles can handle (@ 60fps no less) :)

I actually figured out a way to do full (tight culled) SDSM without any lock stalls (or any CPU intervention at all). It naturally requires compute shaders and some DispatchIndirect / DrawInstancedIndirect trickery, and an efficient way to draw any amount of multiple instanced meshes using a single draw call (there's a nice technique for this as well).
Neat, yeah I considered that you could do it all with predicated rendering and basically using the GPU to switch on/off draw calls based on frustum tests (done on the GPU), but you still pay all the CPU overhead for all of the draw calls, which is not insignificant. For shadows-only though as you note there's normally less state involved so it's probably feasible to basically create your own "command buffer" of sorts with all the draw call information and iterate on the GPU. I assume that's roughly what you're doing with the relevant bits of shadow state.

Anyways, looking forward to it!

Regarding controllers, I'm assuming it'll maintain the nice analog throttle controls from the 360 titles?

Do not forsake directinput the peripheral api of the gods or we'll end up with another racing game that doesnt support a steering wheel or a forcefeedback joystick

Have you seen this game? I really don't think a steering wheel would work very well with it.

That may well be true, but its up to the player how they play it, they may not have a pad, dont limit their options

That may well be true, but its up to the player how they play it, they may not have a pad, dont limit their options

That might be true, but than you may have to include myriads of options, just to serve 0.01% of potential buyers...I guess this is just to expensive, not only to implement, but to assure quality and no bugs...no dev can afford this I guess (better spend this money in cool DX11 support :))

dinput is deprecated btw... although of course some game input devices simply do not have updated drivers beyond dinput. Also dinput does not magically make every type of controller do something reasonable; you obviously still have to write code to each "class" of input device.

Anyways for trials they'll almost certainly support keyboard and gamepads... that's all you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back