TressFX: A new frontier of Realism in PC gaming

Yeah that does look better than I thought it would. Performance will be the key factor. I'm hoping my 7870 + 3570k could push the game at full detail (or close to). Guess it depends on how much love PC is getting (other than TressFX)

Yeah that does look better than I thought it would. Performance will be the key factor. I'm hoping my 7870 + 3570k could push the game at full detail (or close to). Guess it depends on how much love PC is getting (other than TressFX)

Early reports talk about ~15-20 FPS hit, and zooming in into hair pulls the FPS down to low teens or even under

Posted by SLI -756 on Guru3d:

Left disabled, right enabled.
settings maxed but no AA, DOF, nor post processing.

The big difference is surely to be incuded as he dont use AA or DOF etc .. so basically the difference is larger. ( GTX680 ).

I wait to see if the impact will be the same on a 7900 series. The game is pretty demanding if you use all setting on max ( PP, DOF, AA ) .. should not be a problem for a 7900 CFX or Nvidia SLI to keep 60+ FPS with max AA and quality setting

Lets not forget Nvidia drivers are surely yet no optimzed for it. The guy was looking pretty happy of the TressFX effect, as he like better use it instead of set AA and other max settings on. ( The thing, at contrario of PhysX, it is allways visible, you dont have some little effect added here and there, but it is really well integrate )

Last edited by a moderator:
With what kind of hardware?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518691
Specs: 8GB DDR3-1600, 2600K @ 4.6GHz, 2GB GTX 670 and Win7 x64.
2013-03-04_00003lnz0y.jpg

2013-03-04_00004tlrhp.jpg

Someone at 3DC found these gameplay videos:

Appears that some rework of the the collision geometry could improve the results. Or didn't they take the new smaller cup size of Lara into account?

OK, that looks incredible. Especially compared to what we have in current games for hair.

Now, they just need to do something about that bounding box around her body so that it can actually collide with the visible polys on her body.

For a brunette, the hair seems a bit too light. Reminds me of how my g/f's hair reacts to wind, but she has very very fine blonde hair.

Someone on another board noted that the hair doesn't "hover" as much in game as it does in the benchmark. So maybe the bounding box isn't as large in game.

Regards,
SB

For a brunette, the hair seems a bit too light. Reminds me of how my g/f's hair reacts to wind, but she has very very fine blonde hair.
Yes, that is something a few others noted too. I guess they've chosen it to get a more visible effect and more movement, even if that isn't very realistic. But the mass or density of the hair should be a simple input parameter to the compute shader and therefore very easy to adjust. Furthermore, it would increase the realism, if the hair gets significantly heavier after Lara got underwater, maybe they should even reduce the amount of strands (and make them thicker) as it would be more appropriate for wet hair. But that's a task for the developer to adjust for it, the compute shader for the hair should be capable of it.

Ironically, making the strands thicker, heavier and less numerous would make the game more realistic (considering the dirt, humidity, etc.) should be very easy, and also much less demanding computationally.

But it just wouldn't look quite as spectacular. :D

I took a look at it in the lab last week and I was pretty wowed by it. On the PC she is rendered so well in the first place that this really adds to the overall effect of her in motion and adds to the immersion.

I took a look at it in the lab last week and I was pretty wowed by it. On the PC she is rendered so well in the first place that this really adds to the overall effect of her in motion and adds to the immersion.

It's no doubt best solution out there at the moment, but...
- It "shines" (in lack of better word) bright white often when it shouldn't
- Laras bounding box is too big, the hair floats some 2-3cm at least from her body
- It doesn't seem care about rest of the world (water etc)
- Laras bounding box is too big, the hair floats some 2-3cm at least from her body
- Colouring is wrong often (too light brown for the lighting around)
- At least in benchmark the hair looks like wind blowing towards right (looking from behind Lara), while rest of the scene suggests it's blowing towards left

Back