Transformers.. RETRO

at it´s best! I remember playing with it for 10-15 years(damn i feel old) and when i heard about the game for PS2 i got a little tempted and started digging for info(in 2003) and that was it. Now when it´s soon released (0507) and lot´s of movies and ton´s of screen´s have appeared it seem´s like it have gotten 9/10 from one place and they even said something in the line with " the enviroments look´s as good as Halo on Xbox" Now is there anyone else looking forward too this Retro-game, thought´s etz...

Oh just want too remind that there is a demo in the next(?) UK mag i think.

I saw the game on TV a few weeks ago. It looks good, and some of the fuzzy cuddly feeling is there, but it's merely an average game i'm afraid :(

It has got 8/10 in Edge, which means there probably must be something right with it :p Not too many games get that score in their mag. I've also heard several glowing impressions about it, from the people in the UK.

As for the graphics, videos are certainly very impressive, and so are the screens:

transformers_screen009.jpg

transformers_screen010.jpg

ss_1506_16_orig.jpg

ss_1506_15_orig.jpg

It sure got me by a surprise. It wasn't even a blip on my radar until couple of weeks ago, but since then, I've heard many good things about it. Boss fights are supposed to be really awesome, btw.

marconelly! said:
It has got 8/10 in Edge, which means there probably must be something right with it :p Not too many games get that score in their mag.

Edge you mean the magazine that gave 4/10 to Zone of the Enders 2 Anubis (konami), and a 7/10 to starsky and hutch (Empire).
Edge has the stangest scrore system ever, and since their reviews are all small and undetailed, you can't even make your own idea of a game.
But i'm digressing...

Melbourne House (the developer of transformer, and the famous Le mans 24H DC) said from the start that they had a nice budget to produce this game, since then i followed closely this developement, especially after the first screenshots of the engine. The garss and the vegetation look incredible and it's on PS2.
On gameplay side, it appears to be a fine action game, not a "killer" but a Very good game.

It´s a little shame that it´seem´s too be based on the "Armada" instead of the ORIGINAL, but you cannot have it all can you.. :)
On a side note the MOVIE i´m really looking forward too, read on IGN that it vill come out in 2006 and the Director of Empire Strikes Back vill direct :oops:

overclocked said:
It´s a little shame that it´seem´s too be based on the "Armada" instead of the ORIGINAL, but you cannot have it all can you.. :)

There's a japanese PS2 game (Winky Soft/Takara) based on the original serie

ME0000372433_2.jpg

That game is just Horrible, it plays horrible , it looks horrible, etc...
The only excellent point of the takara version is the fact that it follow the whole story of the original serie wich is kind of cool.

TF-Armada iseasily one of the first batch Australian made games that can really kick it on the world wide stage. Good to see that it's getting such a reception.

Shimmering as in lack of mip-mapping, or as in flickering due to half frame buffer? I've heard this game uses half frame buffer and has image quality much like Jak & Daxter 1, with all the good things it brings (60FPS) and bad (flicker and aliasing on contrast colors)

marconelly! said:
Shimmering as in lack of mip-mapping, or as in flickering due to half frame buffer? I've heard this game uses half frame buffer and has image quality much like Jak & Daxter 1, with all the good things it gets (60FPS) and bad (flicker and aliasing on contrast colors)

I would say the game use Field rendering marconelly!.

I played only a few minutes, but i'm 99% it was Half height frame buffer.

Btw the Takara version was lacking Mip maping and was a shimmering mess. :D

But overall it seem´s like a very good game with that RETRO in it as i understand. Don´t know if i should pick up the demo in the mag first or just buy it...hmmm...

In one of the reviews i read there stood "lots of bonus".. , Maybe "UltraMagnus, Scorpion etz" for you "old" lads that remember them. :LOL:

Edge you mean the magazine that gave 4/10 to Zone of the Enders 2 Anubis (konami), and a 7/10 to starsky and hutch (Empire).
Don't get me wrong, I think they have scored many a game ridiculously lower than they deserve (ZOE2 is a shining recent example of that) but it's rarely a miss when they score something 8 or above. I think that is because they seem to be really careful at handing out high scores, but exactly the opposite when handing out low scores.

Btw, the newest review in EGM gave this game 8 / 7.5 / 7.5 (77%)

2 years ago they launched a generation 1 comic book series drawn by jim lee. I have the first issue , both covers , the 1 in 50 cover , the 1 in 5000 cover and then the preview issue , all together they are worth 1k .

I love transformers , my fav thing growing up that and voltron (which i also got the new comis for .)

marconelly! said:
I've heard this game uses half frame buffer and has image quality much like Jak & Daxter 1, with all the good things it brings (60FPS) and bad (flicker and aliasing on contrast colors)

Bingo! ;)

AbbA said:
marconelly! said:
I've heard this game uses half frame buffer and has image quality much like Jak & Daxter 1, with all the good things it brings (60FPS) and bad (flicker and aliasing on contrast colors)

Bingo! ;)

I'm not sure about the 60fps, it looks like 30fps + motion blur (trails) + slowdowns.

Anyway, it looks fantastic, the amazon level (1st level of the game) is "killer", you can miles away, all over the place is covered with grass.
There's very small loading time (at the start of the level), and the level is gigantic (you're not on a "rail" or in a "tunnel", you're free to explore for bonuses etc).
It had impressive lighting/HDR-like effects, precise shadows, etc...
Easily one of the best looking game of the PS2 this far.

Back