Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend

The first one from High Moon was really well received. The trailer is just epic (TF fan here).

On a slightly related note:

After watching the final Transformers movie, I cam away thinking that the Autobots are the bad guys and the Decepticons are trying to save their planet from extinction.

If the roles were reversed and the humans were trying to save their planet they would have little issue squashing the prevailing life form on an alien planet.

Meh...

Yeah... got this one on pre-order (Futureshop deal), though I'll probably try to exchange it for the PC version (the deal was a limited time offer and they didn't have the PC version listed yet).

I've been meaning to get the first game, but I'm just waiting on a steam sale. :p

The gamestop pre-order bonus including the G1 Optimus Prime irritates me. :|

After watching the final Transformers movie, I cam away thinking that the Autobots are the bad guys and the Decepticons are trying to save their planet from extinction.

If the roles were reversed and the humans were trying to save their planet they would have little issue squashing the prevailing life form on an alien planet.

Then you are a Decepticon at heart. Might makes right, especially if the ends justify the means. Murder of the opposition, deception, theft, slavery, and betrayal are all justifiable if they obtain a worthwhile gain like saving your own planet.

The Autobots under Optimus Prime are altruistic. Every sentient being is to be respected--enslaving another species and raping their planet, even if it benefits your own civilization, is unacceptable regardless of the personal gain. Especially if your own societies suffering was brought on by internal conflict other societies should not suffer and be exterminated because of your own civilizations short comings. The only lasting peace and long standing restoration of Cybertron will come from Transformers of all walks turning away from their destructive past--wiping out the Earth just perpetuates the very issues that brought about Cybertron's demise to begin with.

Not all humans. Stories like this are born of the conflicting ideals of different people, and sometimes the dilemma we have to picking actions with consequences personal or not. The Autobots (AFAIK, based on them beig the good guys of kids toys) represent the selfless view of respecting others, which means making personal sacrifice. The Decepticons are about saving oneself through whatever means. Even the name, Decepticons, is based on a manipulative, dishonest approach in trying to secure what one wants. How far people go one way or the other depends on the circumstances, but the Transformers are definitely polarised like many childhod rolemodels into simple good and evil. Defining 'bad' as being willing to allow your species to die out because you won't impose yourselve on other sentient beings (and some would suggest non-sentient beings also deserve respect) is a very Evolutionist philosophy, which tells us where this discussion will end up if continued. ;)

Spoiler warning!

Well I think Optimus was something less than Altruistic when he murdered Megatron in cold blood right after being first saved by him. If I remember correctly Megatron was also willing to negotiate on peace.

I haven't seen the third film, although the criticisms I've heard about it means I'll wait until it's on TV. What you say may well be to show the audience giant tranforming robots are only human too, so that the public can relate to the hero. Or just as a poorly considered, random plot-twist.

I thought the final movie was better than the first one. I just could not get into it.

As to the game - watching the gameplay video it doesn't look very inspiring, gameplay or graphical.

As to altruism vs selflessness - my view is that the humans that make the decisions (military, politicians etc) are utter bastards in general so no, perhaps cynical and pessimistically, I don't expect any form altruism from them :p

The Autobots in my view were used as a contrast that when stood next to humans it revealed the human arrogance and selfishness.
A higher form of intelligence was protecting them and recognizing the value of their life even though humans are weak to control their impulses, arrogant despite how petty they were next to higher intelligent forms, naive as to not listen to the warnings of the Autobots, disrespectful as to not appreciate the help they were getting, stupid for causing pain to each other and not valuing life of others, whereas the Autobots would go as far as to fight for what was right and virtuous even though humans did not seem to deserve it.

The decepticons were just like the humans. Selfish, egotistical, arrogant and just like humans they did not care about other beings when survival was priority much like humans. They justified their actions just as we justify our violent actions towards other beings and human groups since we consider our selves the highest intelligent form on this planet, that by any means our survival and prosperity should be above anyone else's and that we are the "good" group while others are the bad unintelligent ones. But when this justification is used by another more intelligent form than us like the decepticons and we are what has to be destroyed for that intelligent form's survival and prosperity, we dont like it. So it was a way to put us in the shoes of the other beings and other humans that we are oppressing and at the same time make us observe our unfair actions reflected in the Decepticons.

The Autobots were the beings that we should have ideally been and try to achieve connection and balance with every other sentient being rather than force ourselves against them. Autobots respected and valued life regardless of intelligence and power. Decepticons did not. And we humans dont either.

Back