Transformed my home-pc as webserver, nameserver Yay!!!. Now i cant receive any email Boooo!

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
So my hosting provider charge me 100%-150% extra for exceeding their space limit (200MB). So i moved everything to my home computer.

Its blazing fast compared to the old provider.
The nameserver install and setup using BIND was a nightmare (seriously, like... why nobody made a tutorial for noob?), but finally bramantya.org is back online.

Buuuuuuut. I cant receive emails :( :( :( :( :(
still can send them tho.

detailed problem here https://serverfault.com/questions/881907/g-suite-nameserver-records-for-bind-dns-how

I can tell you how to fix your problem (you may not like the idea)
move everything back to your host provider (the way it was)
dont host files on your host providers server, host them either on free storage or your own pc

I can tell you how to fix your problem (you may not like the idea)
move everything back to your host provider (the way it was)
dont host files on your host providers server, host them either on free storage or your own pc

Fixed it :D

Turns out I just need to uncomment some lines

Running your own mail/web server at home is a terrible idea. I'm surprised your ISP even allows those ports open and listening.

Running your own mail/web server at home is a terrible idea. I'm surprised your ISP even allows those ports open and listening.

Yeah they allow it with 3-4 dollars extra each month.

Zero throttling

No torrent shaping

But shitty ONT router with default login root root thst can't be changed and always accessible from the internet

@Davros the mail is still on Google free small business email. But it still need a nameserver to be setup on my server

Last edited:

Why exactly? With a static IP or DynDNS it works well enough.

Security.
That's the main reason.

Any he's not receiving mail at least, using Google Apps legacy standard version (which I use). I just don't understand why he would want to run a local BIND server for resolving his domain name. Surely his registrar is far more ideal for that purpose, especially since there's no backup name server.

I also he knows his IP Tables, or uses something like CSF if his computer is bridged from the router.

And what kind of hosting has a 200Mb limit? :oops:

That's the main reason.

Any he's not receiving mail at least, using Google Apps legacy standard version (which I use). I just don't understand why he would want to run a local BIND server for resolving his domain name. Surely his registrar is far more ideal for that purpose, especially since there's no backup name server.

I also he knows his IP Tables, or uses something like CSF if his computer is bridged from the router.

And what kind of hosting has a 200Mb limit? :oops:

I used a service from a dude who runs an Anime forum.

That dude control my domain and hosting.

When I say I want to stop paying the hosting cost, and host it myself, the dude refused to use namecheap (registrar of my domain) nameserver.

Thus I need to host everything on my pc.

If you can prove you paid for the domain with your credit card, you can likely obtain control of it. If not, then legally it's his.

If you can prove you paid for the domain with your credit card, you can likely obtain control of it. If not, then legally it's his.

I pay thru him because it's the typical hosting offer (pay hosting, domain for free for a year).

The data registered to the domain is correctly my data tho.

Then the domain is likely legally yours. Since he's refusing, you'd need to go through legal means of contesting ownership. Often just the threat of legal proceedings are enough to convince the other party. Depends on how attached you are to the domain name :) If there's any commercial interests in it, then obviously that can be difficult and would cost more legally.

Back