Transcript of Tim Sweeney Unreal 2007 Interview

dcforest

Newcomer
BeyondUnreal has posted a transcript of the recent Tim Sweeney interview at E3 about PC's and Unreal 2007.

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=1818720#post1818720

The most interesting bit:

Freeman: Okay, and will the PC version of Unreal 2007 differ from the Xbox 360 version?

Sweeney: Well sure, PCs...

Freeman: [interrupting]: I mean, talking graphics-wise.

Sweeney: Well, the PC is a more scalable platform, so it'll run on $500 PCs and it'll scale down to the Xbox 360 and it'll run on a $3000 SLI machine with dual kickass Nvidia cards in it and it'll run with even more detail. So we'll be all over the place.

Not surprisingly, Tim points out what most of us expected. High-end gaming PC's will be able to provide better graphics (higher resolutions, more details) than the next generation consoles.

The most interesting bit to me was the claim that UT2007 will be running on GF6800U in 1024x768 with everything maxed out.

Quoting Digi here, hubba-wa? :?

Whoever believes that... :|

Freeman: And what's your opinion of dual-core GPUs? Does a dual-core GPU, is it more efficient than an SLI system?

Sweeney: It seems like it should be about the same comparing a dual-core GPU to an SLI system, maybe a bit faster because the on-chip communication is faster than your PCI-Express bus.
what is lil`timmy talking about?
i though that dual core GPU`s will work just as normal gpu`s work(w/o all the SLI AFR SFR MVP crap and issues), and will be done to improve yields and to lower production costs.
a crad with two 32 pipelines cores, will be cheaper to make because the yields for a 32 pipe core will be much higher then for a 64 pipeline one.

The two cores will still have to talk to each other, as "lil' timmy" said (whether they share a memory controller or not, but obviously moreso in the latter case).

Anyway, this really could have gone into the original thread.

as i see it they`ll have to talk to each other as much as quad talk to other quads. or maybe with unifide shaders one core will be used for vertex proccessing and the other for pixel.
but still it should be nothing like SLI or any other form of dual gfx proccessing.
he`s answer seems to suggest that dual core GPU`s will work in a way which is similar to SLI or MVP.

dcforest said:
Not surprisingly, Tim points out what most of us expected. High-end gaming PC's will be able to provide better graphics (higher resolutions, more details) than the next generation consoles.
Erm, firstly he wasn't talking about consoles (plural) he was specifically refering to the XBox360. Secondly he didn't specify a time frame for when the PC would overtake it (of course at some point in the PC's life it will surpass the Xbox360, the real question is how soon that will happend and at what cost).

_xxx_ said:
The most interesting bit to me was the claim that UT2007 will be running on GF6800U in 1024x768 with everything maxed out.

Whoever believes that... :|

Why is that so hard to believe? You won't be getting 60fps but I bet you'll be able to play an average size DM map and get around 30fps, which would be classed as playable. I mean, I can currently play Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory with every SM3 option turned on (HDR, tone-mapping, soft-shadows etc.) at 1280x1024x32 on a 6600GT on a relatively old CPU. That's a hacked Unreal 2 engine (ie. DX7 level) that was never optimised for next generation cards. An engine specifically targetted at DX9 should have a lot less legacy paths to worry about.

_xxx_ said:
I dunno, he didn't really mention AA & AF...or does that count under "everything" now? :|

Quoting Digi here, hubba-wa? :?
Actually I'm quoting Loonette the Clown from "The Big Comfy Couch" whenever I say that. :oops:
(Yeah, I still got children's TV on the brain. :? )

I doubt it will be anything more than slomo 1-2 fps in big outdoor areas with lotsa stuff going on, that's what I meant. Even with no AA/AF. But I'm just guessing here.

I expect SLI'ed G70 Ultras to outdo both consoles. That means that by the end of this year--possibly before the XB360 even launches at retail--PCs will have the (gloriously expensive) option to be faster or look prettier than either XB360 or PS3. Surprise? Not really, but SLI did push the timetable up significantly.

PC gaming isn't popular anymore due to just that thinking, 1% of the market *might* buy dual cards, costing in excess of $1000. While consoles will be offering easy online play, cheaper games, cheat proof and around $399.

Sounds like he's saying an xbox360 is a scale down from $500 pc. Can that be correct?

Don't know the guy but he also sounds like big nvidia pimp.

dcforest said:
Higher resolutions are expected due to the differences in the architecture but I wonder what added details would highend pcs have over next gen consoles.

ralexand said:
Higher resolutions are expected due to the differences in the architecture but I wonder what added details would highend pcs have over next gen consoles.

With 512mb cards coming out now, texture resolution seems like an obvious one.

ralexand said:
Sounds like he's saying an xbox360 is a scale down from $500 pc. Can that be correct?

Don't know the guy but he also sounds like big nvidia pimp.
na def a mistake . the x360's cpu blows away anything u can get in a 500$ pc and when u factor in the cpu , ram , mobo , hardrive , optical drive , case there isn't much left for a gpu :)

Back