trademe.co.nz sells for $750 million

Graham

Hello :-)
Veteran
Supporter
Today, it was announced that the new zealand online auction site 'trademe' sold for the absolutly insane sum of $700 million dollars down, + $50 million if certain financial targets are met. This is new zealand dollars, which equals roughly half a billion USD.

What makes this perticuarly amazing, is that trademe caters only for new zealand. A population of 4 million people. That said, there is usually 50,000 people online, half a million items for sale, and the site accounts for about half +/- of *all* our internet traffic.

The reason I post this, is because I can only really see one reason to pay such a large amount... That being that the new owners plan to make trademe international. Ie, compete with ebay. Ebay, however, started out here about the same time as trademe, yet has seen considerably less success. They only have around 10k items for sale, most of which are duplicates or ship from overseas.

I would also wonder if the company, being australian, plans to open up an australian version. Considering that trademe.com.au currently redirects to the new zealand site would suggest that...

On a global scale I feel this is pretty dammed spectacular. Consider ebay, the countries it operates in; assuming it shares similar sucess to trademe, would make this the equivalent of possibly quater a trillion dollar sale...?

One thing is sure, the 30 year old company founder is now on the rich list.

link.

trademe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, weird! Just yesterday I got an email from Trademe saying my credits were about to run out cos I hadnt signed in for 2 years, so I went and had a bit of a play around. Some good stuff there, and almost bought myself a boat! Not much use when Im living in London!

I was thinking while using it yesterday thats its strange that a NZ auction site is faster to load from london than ebay.co.uk is.

Ali

Ali said:
Man, weird! Just yesterday I got an email from Trademe saying my credits were about to run out cos I hadnt signed in for 2 years, so I went and had a bit of a play around. Some good stuff there, and almost bought myself a boat! Not much use when Im living in London!

I was thinking while using it yesterday thats its strange that a NZ auction site is faster to load from london than ebay.co.uk is.

Ali
They probably have servers all over the world.

Ali said:

Ali

wait! stop! halt! please tell me more about the boat thing :oops:

booomups said:
wait! stop! halt! please tell me more about the boat thing :oops:

Ok then ;)

For my brothers birthday I bought him the plans for a small barrel back boat like this:
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pr...http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/propnut22000

Ive been on the lookout for a oldish outboard motor for him to use, although he can use the auxilary on our dads boat until something good turns up. Anyway, I typed 'outboard' into trademe, and started having a look around. Ran across an ad for a 5.3m stabicraft with a 80HP 4-stroke that only had 1 hour to go, and was at NZD8000. Thats a very good price.

I cant find the link to the auction, but here is stabicraft: http://www.stabi-craft.co.nz/

Well, I found myself typing 9000 into the bid box, and just before hitting confirm I realised that Im a 24hour flight away from it, and not planning on heading home any time soon. 2 weeks for xmas probably isnt worh spending ~£3500 on!

Besides, I want to buy one of these:
http://www.volvo1800pictures.com/P/P_red_70.htm
and I dont think the wife would let me if I also bought a boat ;)

Ali

Back