Total console sales in Australia as of Dec 29, 2002

mech

Regular
PS2: 592,122
Xbox: 195,707
Gamecube: 51,120

Xbox hasn't been out a year yet, PS2's been out for 2 years now, it had about a 15 month lead on Xbox. Gamecube came out around the same time as Xbox IIRC.

Hell's Bells There must be more ppl in Alaska then Australia. It cost more money to run the commercials for a system there..just to get what other countries can sell in two weeks.

It's interesting that Australia will be the first market where Xbox wins the run-rate battle. It's neck and neck with Sony there. I guess the US will be the second market where that happens, probably in the Fall of 2004.

As I said before, the XBOX manager in our Aussie land should get a rise/promotion/new BMW. The XBOX campain in Australia has been extremely successful. EB during some days in Christmas sold more XBOXes than PS2s.

Being an Aussie who has popped home for a weeks of hols after spending the year in the UK, I must say I was stunned by the popularity of the XBOX over here. Ads are everywhere, and most people I know (young professionals) own one. In fact, at first I thought that the GC may not have even been released over here, as I saw nothing about it! It was only until I ventured to the back of an EB that I saw one on display.

Kinda makes sense, XBOX seems to fit in with Aussie tastes quite well - big and mean, like a V8 Commodore (or Steve Irwin for that matter)!

In the UK it's a different situation entirely...

Gamecube's being dumped from most stores. It's another Dreamcast. It'll very possibly be gone by the end of the year, which is a shame indeed :(

I'll pick one up when it's < $200, considering the price of an Xbox here $250-$330 for a Gamecube was a rip off.

mech said:
Gamecube's being dumped from most stores. It's another Dreamcast. It'll very possibly be gone by the end of the year, which is a shame indeed :(

I'll pick one up when it's < $200, considering the price of an Xbox here $250-$330 for a Gamecube was a rip off.

I was stunned to see popular GC games being sold off at AUD$50 a pop at the Harvey Norman in Brisbane just last week.

Was considering picking up a few for my workmate's girlfriend back in the UK, but decided she wasn't worth it. ;)

mech said:
We've got 19 million people. Give us a break eh? :)

That and the weather.

I know that if I lived in Australia instead of the cold north, I would've bought surfing equipment for the money I've sunk into consoles.

On the beach... Surfing and googling sheilas 8)

Cheers
Gubbi

Come to think of it, the Xbox looks like something off Mad Max so it would fit well with all of you 'mates' down unda! :LOL:

Bahahaha. I can't believe how bad Gamecube is doing here.

_Everyone_ supported it when it came out too. All the retailers I spoke to weren't going to stock Xbox, and were behind Gamecube 100%. All of these stores have done an about face now.

The sales are only going to get worse now, with support dwindling by the day...

The Xbox marketting really hit home. Gamecube in comparison was non-existent. XBOX green was _everywhere_ during the launch weeks. Outside buses, inside buses, BUS stops, stamps on the groud, stickers on buildings, magazine covers, university pathways, free booths..etc.etc. They must have spent a bucketload, but it sure as hell is paying off.

well i walked into a fair few stores searching for a bargain and i can say this ,after christmas there were a lot more x boxes on shelves than ps2 ,so the xbox dropped down to AU$285 , just after i bought a ps2 for AU$335 :( sony still has the edge in sales by a long way , i dont care what consol sells more as i buy what i think is the best value and has the best games !

Back