Toshiba's Cell TV

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by patsu, Feb 26, 2008.

1. patsu

Legend

I think the price is not announced yet. Found a preview below. Rather sleek UI. They should expand more on the media management functions. The DVR should be optional unless it's there "at no extra cost" (e.g., use network file system, or DLNA):

As usual, the other TV manufacturers should see if there are any good ideas to steal (or learn not to do).

I like the part where I don't have to surf the channels and can see all of them at once. How many TV tuner does this thing need ?
    It's also supposed to stream content to different TVs at the same time.

2. green.pixel

Veteran

Hey patsu, while we're at it, do we know what kind of tech Samsung uses with their 2D->3D conversion? :)
    http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/.../videos/ces10ford_gears3d_010910.html?show=hi

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10427438-269.html
    I suppose it's not the Cell, otherwise they would've mentioned it in their press/marketing talk?

3. patsu

Legend

With the 3D tide rising, I suspect many manufacturers will have similar solutions. JVC has a 2D-3D conversion box too:

Until we see them side by side, I don't know the differences between their approaches. According to the guy above, the JVC one is not as good as the bests out there.

So far, the Cell TV seems to be the most feature rich (480Hz rendering, 48 real time TV thumbnails, DVR, routing channel to another HDTV, etc.). Some of the features sound like overkill though.

EDIT: Found it !

http://giz3d.com/550/3d-displays/samsung-3d-chip-auto-conversion-of-2d-to-3d-available-in-mid-2009

4. green.pixel

Veteran

5. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

I actually believe Sony's 3D sets will 'upconvert' as well, even though it was not announced in a formal capacity. I'd be interested to see what chip they were using for the process as well, since it in all likelihood is not Cell.

6. patsu

Legend

7. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

I don't think it had anything to do with CES at all - I just think they failed to highlight it. In fact some of the new 3D capable Bravias are in SonyStyle stores right *now* for consumers to demo, and this is where I got my info. I plan on checking it out this weekend myself when I'm at the mall.

BUT - this topic is about Cell and Toshiba, so... :)

8. patsu

Legend

Well... we need more context to interpret their achievements and positioning. So, I'll be interested to see what you find in the mall.

9. green.pixel

Veteran

I suppose that almost all of the manufactures will use some kind of 2D->3D conversion due to the lack of 3D content in the beginning?

Btw, do all of them use Real3D system for 3D?
    http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10428437-269.html

10. patsu

Legend

I believe the available vendors/techs are: RealD, Dolby 3D, IMAX 3D and XpanD. Might want to ask in the 3D gaming/tech thread.

11. corduroygt

Banned

12. Crossbar

Veteran

I really wonder what this 3d effect looks like.

I wonder how well it handles static objects.

13. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Ya I really just don't get how this can be any good with no real depth information. I expect it will be some serious nausea inducing crap. My bar is set pretty low, so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Have we still got no comparison of their HD upscaling tech?!

15. patsu

Legend

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/toshiba-shows-off-dual-core-powered-z2-hdtvs-regza-app-for-andr/

Google translated article:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...rss&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=Shift_JIS

16. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Has there ever yet been a review of their super resolution+ upscaling? Googling throws up Jan 2010 expectations but zero reviews! Since SPURSEngine's release and these TV's announcement, the contribution of Cell to the TV space has been nothing anyone has talked about. Now interest has shifted to 3D upscaling it seems, but the performance of SPURSEngine in this space hasn't been proven, and Toshiba went with a proprietary part, the Meta Brain it seems, to do this job in lower cost TVs.

17. Weaste

Newcomer

So this CEVO thing. It's basically two Cell BEs one sat on top of the other, so giving 2 PPUs and 16 SPUs? Basically an IBM Cell blade on a chip? How do these two processors communicate with each other, as is there any Flex I/O on the level of the CBE/RSX to connect it to a GPU, or it that bus now internal to this chip?

Does anyone have any more details about this dual core Cell?

18. Xenus

Veteran

Nah it's more then likely two SPURs which would make it 2 PPUs and 8 SPUs

19. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Why do that rather than a 1:8 Cell? I can't see the second PPE being much use.