Toshiba unveils "SpursEngine" stream processor derived from Cell/B.E.

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by one, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Karoshi

Newcomer

Superresolution in image processing context has a particular meaning. Like getting better resolution from multiple shots (think satellites). And it could well be used to try and improve resolution for upscaled, slow moving content. Or interpolating a slow moving background from a sequence of I-frames.

2. Betanumerical

Veteran

IBM ran some competition for coding on the Cell (it was a while back, iirc) and one of the entries was a port of H264.

Sourceforge link.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cell-h264/

PDF on project.

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct09002c/university/students/contests/cell/r2w3proposal.pdf

Results.

3. patsu

Legend

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37845/135/

4. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Intel should be embarrassed.

Their best CPU just had its ass handed to it by an old design sporting a mere fraction of its transistor count and power requirements.

So much for Core 2.

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That's why some of us have been very excited for Cell! It's design is a deviation from the traditional giving it an edge in the new processing demands that original CPU's were never expected to work on. It won't handle some app's anything like as well as your x86 derivatives, but most of the time users don't need it to. For the workhorse data-munching applications, Cell is a sweet design. In this case, SPURSengine in a laptop would mean a very low-power CPU could be used for standard processing and demanding processing offloaded to the SPURSEngine, meaning fabulous performance and battery life.

The fundamental flaw in all this is products and applications that use SPURSEngine ;) A lovely accelerated laptop won't be appearing any time soon.

6. patsu

Legend

What puzzles me is... if it takes only 10-20 W, why not throw more SPUREngine at the problem ? Why stop at 1 engine ?

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Because the device is positioned as a low-cost, low-power solution, for CE devices. This is a demo of what the SPURSEngine could achieve as is in a PC. It's not an actual solution, nor a product trying to be the world's fastest video transcoder!

8. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

Maybe because... Toshiba is selling only laptops ;)

9. patsu

Legend

10. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

It's very hard to sell Cell add-on boards to normal PC users. Unless there's enough support from applications, consumers are not going to run out and buy them. On the other hand, with only a small fraction of market share, application developers are not going to support it. So it's sort of a classical chicken and egg problem.

This is why AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA are going for the GPGPU way. Many people are already buying GPU, so the market share is large enough. Therefore, application developers are more likely to provide their support.

The intended market for SPUREngine is not PC. It's those CE devices, set-top boxes, and maybe even inside TVs.

11. patsu

Legend

Yes, SPUREngine will also be in Toshiba laptops though.

12. Vitaly Vidmirov

Newcomer

13. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

That's an unexpected (and awesome) application for the SpursEngine when not performing actual encoding/decoding functions, and should help to differentiate the laptops in a big way. Surprisingly not as expensive as I thought they'd retail for either, which is a good sign in terms of helping them gain some traction.

I found it interesting that there's a consumer branding effort it seems for the SpursEngine, since the article refers to it as "Quad Core HD Processor."

14. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

15. Enzyme

Newcomer

Is there any way to get some samples of this board?
    I can't seem to find anything at all besides some news reports, not even on the Toshiba websites.

16. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

I think you'd probably have to register as a developer, and then beyond that the price should be about $100 for the add-in board and the SDK. Now, how you register I have no idea, but sometimes when you email a general contact from the website, they'll be able to assist in routing you to the proper department/individual.

17. patsu

Legend

18. Enzyme

Newcomer

Ok, thanks to the both of you.
    I'll try that and see if I can get a hold of some samples.

19. patsu

Legend

What do you intend to do with it ? Let us know !

20. Enzyme

Newcomer

We're doing this project were we are evaluating Cell technology for other companies. So far we have only tested on PS3, but we just recently acquired some Blade Center technology too.
    However, most of the companies involved in the project are looking into embedded solutions. So the SpursEngine would be a solution for them if they ever plan to use Cell (so far they aren't really to keen on getting into it, mostly because of cost, so they are starting to look into gpu solutions or will just continue to use dsp's or fpga's).
    It would be a nice addition to the evaluation since it's a low cost low power target board, and that's exactly what they are looking for.