Toshiba to put Cell in TV by 2009

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by one, Sep 2, 2007.

1. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/news/2007/08/31/Toshiba-and-HD-DVD-at-IFA/p1

[​IMG]

2. Vitaly Vidmirov

Newcomer

3. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

The difference is they had SED (instead of OLED) in their roadmap at that time!

4. Darkon

Regular

Well shifty got his wish.

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Not really. Promises often don't amount to much! I was supposed to have been able to buy a £300 720p SED TV by now, and Cell was supposed to out a while (two years!) ago. We're looking at what? Perhaps 6-8 months, maybe more, before they show Cell actually doing something in a CE device, and another year after that to buy them. Two years after that to buy them in Europe! And they're the leaders pushing Cell tech, which means other devices will be a long way coming. I guess TV tech is going to crawl along for a bit longer.

Have Toshiba contributed anything to the Cell development community software-wise? We've had a couple of demos, and the digital make-over one was excellent. Is anyone getting to see the code for that?

6. patsu

Legend

Yes. Toshiba contributed to the Cell Linux development (even until today). They call their Cell reference platform "Celleb".

7. Vitaly Vidmirov

Newcomer

Upscaler looks very good. I wonder however, how it will deal with noise / image compression artifacts.
    Anyway I will definitely consider this one as my next TV.
    My current TV is 1990 year 21" tube =))

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

There's a video here. Doesn't show the quality of upscaling very well, but the little I could guess from the zoomed in pics, it's an effective algorithm of the sort the FBI have been using in movies for years to see faces reflected in someone's eye and to identify what 3 letters a blob or four grey pixels on the bottom corner of a briefcase is!

9. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

FWIW the article says it's particularly effective for letters. Image Super Resolution is applicable not only to SD->HD, but also to HD->HD. It uses 4-5 SPEs. For 48 SD MPEG streams / 8 HD MPEG streams playback, memory bandwidth and I/O are the actual bottleneck rather than Cell.

Since the timeframe matches with that of 45nm Cell BE, I guess power usage will be acceptable for TV by then. Maybe it's when PS3 Cells can be put onto CE goods.

10. patsu

Legend

... so they will use CBE instead of SpurEngine in their high end TV ?

11. SPM

SPM
    Regular

Hmmm I wonder how long it will take Sony to put a PS3 in a TV to give all these effects plus a bluray player, plus PVR, plus home computer/Internet PC, plus games.

12. Per B

Newcomer

I also wonder this. If they use the full BE from PS3 for TV's and other consumer electronics, what will they use the SpureEngine for?

13. patsu

Legend

At least one hi-end Toshiba Laptop model will use SpursEngine.

I am guessing they will also use SpursEngine for Toshiba HD TV. The CBE is only used for/by R&D.