Toshiba to drop HD DVD

AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
Figured this one needed it's own thread.

The Hollywood Reporter is saying they have a source close to the HD DVD camp that's saying Toshiba is dropping HD DVD and that's "it could be a matter of weeks" before an anouncement is made.

Source: Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say

Very suprising that the demise of HD DVD is happening so quickly. I wonder what's going to happen next.

Tommy McClain

Interesting if true. I'd expect a lot of people to say "makes sense" or "about time" but, to me at least, Toshiba had been quite aggressive and this surprises me.

Guess I'll wait to hear an official announcement from Toshiba. Although, being realistic, an announcement like this should only be a matter of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What else could they do. When a very large backhander isn't enough to win favour you may as well forget it.

Reuters asked Toshiba about this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1451010520080215

Officially, no decision has been made, insists Jodi Sally, vp of marketing for Toshiba America Consumer Products. "Based on its technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the best format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality inherent in our player offerings," she said.

But she hinted that something's in the air. "Given the market developments in the past month," she said, "Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players."

I hope it's true, and we can officially end this.

I think Toshiba is part of a joint-venture that manufactures Blu-ray media for some time now, so it won't be a total loss. :smile:

Walmart gone blu

That's an anti-climax, but perhaps better for Toshiba in the long run. As I mentioned in another thread, it's definitely better for the industry with Blu-ray, than without. I am a Toshiba fan (All my laptops, TVs and DVD players are Toshibas), so I will keep an eye on that Toshiba Blu-ray player... some day.

In the mean time, Walmart has also decided to go Blu-ray exclusive (starting June).
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9873029-7.html

That's an anti-climate, but perhaps better for Toshiba in the long run. As I mentioned in another thread, it's definitely better for the industry with Blu-ray, than without. I am a Toshiba fan (All my laptops, TVs and DVD players are Toshibas), so I will keep an eye on that Toshiba Blu-ray player... some day.

In the mean time, Walmart has also decided to go Blu-ray exclusive (starting June).
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9873029-7.html

Well, now we now when this is going to Officialy end.

Man HD DVDs are so cheap now. I wish I had money right now and I would pick up a bunch of movies on the cheap, if they are double sided and you can get em for the same price as a DVD I figure it is a win win.

Yap, if you have a HD DVD player, those cheap movies are tempting. With a toddler at home (who knows how to raid and open my disc collection), I pretty much buy and rent BR where I could. Too bad the children titles are still on CD and DVD. I replaced about 10-20% of them already due to abuse.

So what do you do if that HD DVD player fails :?: Will there be dual format players to save you? Considering how small the HD market is compared to DVD, and studios moving to BD exclusivity, it seems simple for manufacturers to give current HD DVD folks the finger and dual format players will cease at some point.

Man HD DVDs are so cheap now. I wish I had money right now and I would pick up a bunch of movies on the cheap, if they are double sided and you can get em for the same price as a DVD I figure it is a win win.

Where are you finding them cheap?

Amazon had their entire HD DVD catalogue half price from what I remember.

That's not anything out of the ordinary though; half-off sales and B1G1's has been the off-and-on norm for a couple of months for both formats.

I do think that there will be some true clearance deals going forward from here though.

...anyway, glad it's finally over. And although it's not official, I feel quite at ease using the term.

That's not anything out of the ordinary though; half-off sales and B1G1's has been the off-and-on norm for a couple of months for both formats.
Have there been (m)any for Bly-ray since the Warner announcement?
...anyway, glad it's finally over. And although it's not official, I feel quite at ease using the term.
Perhaps. I'm pretty certain some companies aren't going to be sitting idly by while Blu-ray sweep DVD as the optical (and in general) worldwide movie delivery system of choice.

HD-DVD might have definitely lost, but the jury is still out on whether Blu-ray is going to win.

Have there been (m)any for Bly-ray since the Warner announcement?

There's actually a BD sale in progress as we speak over at Amazon, and it's not the first since the announcement.

Perhaps. I'm pretty certain some companies aren't going to be sitting idly by while Blu-ray sweep DVD as the optical (and in general) worldwide movie delivery system of choice.

Well, you use optical and general interchangeably there... for general no, the war's not over - nor is it really defined either. But for optical, I think that BD is on the verge of becoming the uncontested heir to the throne.

HD-DVD might have definitely lost, but the jury is still out on whether Blu-ray is going to win.

Sure, but that's a topic for a different thread (one already in progress).

I wish the war continues a little bit more until the end of 2008, so that we can see cheaper players by the next holiday. Once HD-DVD is gone, I am not sure if the companies have enough motivation to push the prices down even if the cost will go down for sure.

Anyway, I think a major annoucement will come sometime at the end of May from Toshiba/Universal/Paramount. Annoucements from all others (Netflix, Best Buy, Walmart) also points that direction.

The difference is you can find any movie you want now cheap (if it is on HDDVD)

In the past they always had one I wanted and a bunch of crap for BOGO.

Arun, I was saying if the disc has HD DVD on one side and DVD on the other side you can just play the DVD side if HD DVD players disappear entirely. That was my point. If you can get them as cheap as a DVD then it is a win win, b/c you get a DVD and a HD DVD for the price.

I wish the war continues a little bit more until the end of 2008, so that we can see cheaper players by the next holiday. Once HD-DVD is gone, I am not sure if the companies have enough motivation to push the prices down even if the cost will go down for sure.

Well, if they extend the war, more people will get stucked with the EOL format in the end. It's better to end now and let everyone move to the same platform. The price will continue to fall by historic trend of CE devices.

Life after HD DVD:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92855

Microsoft and Paramount have signed a deal for downloading old and new Paramount movies over Live.

(maybe deserves its own thread)

This could explain why Paramount delayed on pulling out of HD-DVD earlier, and could also explain why they went HD-DVD exclusive from dual format earlier along at an odd time to do so, along with rumours of a payoff by Microsoft, and the spin about now that BD has won, BD is dead. Could Microsoft have been paying them off in an attempt to try to monopolize the movie download market?

Back