Toshiba may delay HD DVD player launch into 2006

Ty

Roberta E. Lee
Veteran
To Mods,

If topics such as this are no longer permissible then please go ahead and delete.

Japan's Toshiba Corp. (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Thursday it may delay the year-end launch of its next-generation HD DVD players, potentially undermining its advantage as the first supplier to put such machines on the market.

"We are now in talks with Hollywood studios and large-scale retailers to seek the most effective timing of the launch and best way to launch," a Toshiba spokeswoman said.

"We originally aimed for the year-end launch in the United States. But we have not really decided on that."

There is also a possibility that the products' launch in Japan may not come until after December, the spokeswoman said.

Maybe they are in a dreamlike cave somewhere confronting a premonistic apparition? (y'know, like that time Yoda sent Luke Skywalker off to go check out a cave, because he wanted to get some peace from his endless bitching and whining) :p

My thesis is Toshiba has cut a last minute deal with MS with the XB-360. Seems strange to me nothing showing up after all the talk of HD-DVD showing up in full force from Toshiba at the end of 2005. Anyway just my opinion. Click on the link to go to the thread in the HARDWARE forum about this "delay" news.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23214

osvaldomartins said:
"Where is jvd and PC-Engine when you need them."

I haven´t seen them very much since de non-standard hd declaration.

What are you talking about? Non-standard declaration? The HD DVD copy protection issues have not been finalized at the DVD Forum so studios cannot release movies. There's really no point in releasing hardware if the movies aren't there. Not sure what HD DVD being delayed have anything to do with me or jvd unless you want to start trolling.;)

mckmas8808 said:
I've said it for months now. Blu-ray is going to win. Where is jvd and PC-Engine when you need them.

Not sure what HD DVD being delayed have anything to do with me or jvd unless you want to start trolling. Not sure how this equals BR winning either...

Last edited by a moderator:
"As far as the format war, for all intents and purposes, it's over," Gartner research vice president Van Baker told TechNewsWorld. "Blu-ray's going to win," he stated, highlighting the format's inclusion in the Sony PlayStation 3, backing among consumer electronics manufacturers and increasing movie studio support"

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/Q0r0jPgH7ASlbB/HD-DVD-Struggles-as-Toshiba-Delays.xhtml

HD-DVD is as good as dead, unless Microsoft decides to bail them out, which may be a good strategic move if they ever want to increase the storage space. If not it will make the XBOX360 one of the first Consoles that didn't increase the storage space compare to it's last gen brother?

PC-Engine said:
Not sure what HD DVD being delayed have anything to do with me or jvd unless you want to start trolling. Not sure how this equals BR winning either...

There he go!:eek: A man how's it going? Long time no argue. But it does make HD-DVD more of a loser. Wasn't that one of it's big selling points? :LOL: Understand most people see it now.

-tkf- said:
HD-DVD is as good as dead, unless Microsoft decides to bail them out, which may be a good strategic move if they ever want to increase the storage space. If not it will make the XBOX360 one of the first Consoles that didn't increase the storage space compare to it's last gen brother?

Didn't MS tell EVERYBODY that the X360 will come with a DVD drive. I don't see them throwing a loop at the devs this late in the game.

Brimstone said:
My thesis is Toshiba has cut a last minute deal with MS with the XB-360. Seems strange to me nothing showing up after all the talk of HD-DVD showing up in full force from Toshiba at the end of 2005. Anyway just my opinion. Click on the link to go to the thread in the HARDWARE forum about this "delay" news.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23214

That would cut into their profit margin. judging by the way MS has been handling the 360 up til now I just dont see it happening.

As a consumer if given the choice I wouldn't hesitate between Blue-Ray and HD DVD.

You don't want the quality of the encoding being compromised by the lack of storage space.

Blue Ray allows for 66% more storage space than HD DVD, it is the standard of choice for HD video.

JVD:
"What are you talking about? Non-standard declaration? The HD DVD copy protection issues have not been finalized at the DVD Forum so studios cannot release movies. There's really no point in releasing hardware if the movies aren't there. Not sure what HD DVD being delayed have anything to do with me or jvd unless you want to start trolling."

I´m not saying the HD-DVD delay has to do with you or jvd. I was just answering the questions above... And waht I said isné a lie. I haven´t seen you or jvd since the non standard declaration of HDD. I don´t wanna start trolling, you can bet. So, sorry!

Magnum PI said:
As a consumer if given the choice I wouldn't hesitate between Blue-Ray and HD DVD.

You don't want the quality of the encoding being compromised by the lack of storage space.

Blue Ray allows for 66% more storage space than HD DVD, it is the standard of choice for HD video.

You actually think 50GB movies will be released anytime soon? The fact BR doesn't have any managed copy plan in place, it looks to be the loser format in a lot of people's eyes.

I haven´t seen you or jvd since the non standard declaration of HDD

What does the hardrive being nonstandard have anything to do with this thread let alone me? Regardless I've been busy setting up my sister's new $5K home theater system. Not only that, but I can't even upload pictures yet since my Senior status is fubar. Besides the recent discussions here are boring anyway. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
PC-Engine said:
You actually think 50GB movies will be released anytime soon?

i guess there were ppl saying the same about the DVD..

a lossless digital file for a 1080p movie is much more than 50 GB.

with an increase of bitrate you can have audio and video with less artifacts and more details.
increased bitrate => increased fidelity.

what's wrong with having more fidelity ?

DVD capacity = 9 GB
DVD HD capacity = 30 GB = 3.33 DVD capacity
BR capacity = 50 GB = 5.55

1080p pixelrate = 6 times 480p

toshiba doesn't agree with the idea that more than 30 GB would be useless, they are reportedly working on a 45 GB HD DVD.

you can't have too much storage space.

if finally the DVD HD comes with a 45 GB capacity, the small difference of capacity won't matter much.

There is no forgetting about that flame mckmas. You are now being banned for one week for this action. if it happens ever again you will be banned from the console board permanently.

Magnum PI said:

The Reality is that both formats are half baked and insufficient. I honestly expect both formats to fail as a mass market format. It comes far too close to the introduction of the DVD format and within 5-10 year, 100GB+ disks techniques will be a reality, allowing true high definition content.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Back