Torchlight

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

It's high time someone created a thread devoted to this game. I bought it off Steam and thus far it's fantastic. If you like dungeon crawlers, you should definitely pick this one up. It's on sale on Steam right now, unfortunately I bought it the day of the sale before it went on sale. It's not that big a deal, though. It was only twenty dollars, right now it's ten. For ten bucks, it's a steal:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41500/

My biggest complaint is there's no multiplayer. Other than that, if's a solid, colorful game that deserves a little more attention than it's received. Anyone else played it?

2. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Yep and created from the original Diablo programmers, some that left Blizzard years ago. Simple, fun and cheap never go out of style.

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

It may be cheap, but I found it to lack magnetic power past a certain point. It just doesn't hold my attention span very well.

I suppose part of it is the way enemies constantly respawn even in areas you've already cleared, and the confused and muddled character development system. Should I, as ranger, sink points into magic? How much should I focus on strength? I need quite a lot just to wear better armor and weapon upgrades, but since I rarely melee, it feels rather wasted, I'd rather invest into dexterity instead...

The game certainly doesn't tell me what to do, so I can either trial-and-error it (not very appealing) or I can read about it online, which is just fail. I shouldn't need to read a guide on a website to figure out how to max out my dude. Meh.

4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah I'm struggling a bit with that too. But isn't that the case with every single action RPG? You always have to make tradeoffs between different weapons/armor/enchantments etc. I think the unrestrictive skill tree is there to allow people to come up with more conventional builds. The flip side is that it doesn't guide you to a "pure" build :)

5. Kowan

Newcomer

I read about the game and watched a video with the devs. I was ready to pay $20 and saw it for $10.
    Great for the price.

6. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yes! I've been waiting for this to go on sale as I knew I could pick it up for $10 sooner or later. My daughter loves this as well, thanks.

7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

ffs, by the time I get home it is no longer on sale....

8. L233

Veteran

I bought it for €8. Played it for 30 minutes and got bored already. It's just more of the same old shit that we've been playing for the past 10+ years. There's absolutely nothing to it that feels fresh or interesting to me.

9. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

I don't think anyone plays this game for something fresh, it is basically a diablo clone down to the minute detail with some extra features. if it doesn't interest you then that fine, you could have discovered that with the demo though :D

10. L233

Veteran

I'm not complaining that Torchlight is a budget-priced Diablo knockoff, I'm just saying. I knew what it was before I bought it, I simply underestimated how sick and tired I am of this type of game and how dull and stale it feels. I guess I liked the idea more than I like actually playing it.

What I'm complaining about, though, is that I'm now stuck in a wall with no way out. That's just shoddy.

#10 L233, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  11. ban25

Veteran

The driving force behind the game, Travis Baldtree, created Fate and then Mythos. Aside from him, there are at least three principals from Blizzard North / Flagship Studios, including two of the founders of Condor. Also, the composer from the Diablo series has returned for Torchlight and the music is great!

12. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

I found it fun until the last boss. Then the hilariously large spike in difficulty (maybe not even difficulty, just "I do not want to fight this guy for 45 minutes") kind of killed it for me.

13. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Figured this be a great download for the laptop whilst travelling. So far it's working out quite nicely. :)

14. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Loved the demo, waiting for the retail release. There's things I miss from D2 and Torchlight has far too much storage space (Inventory, Pet's inventory, two stashes, no need to carry the transmutation cube, identify/portal spells negate the need for the spellbooks, etc.) but it seemed as adictive as D2.

15. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Steam has it for $10 again.

16. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

It's $5 today.

I would love to know why Torchlight runs like butter on a 9400m (70+fps @ 1600x900 0xAA/8xAF) yet the Defense Grid demo is a slide show (10 fps). Torchlight has single handedly turned my laptop into a gaming rig. Good looking casual unlimited loot whoring replayability and it runs on an IGP? Sweet.

17. joker454

Veteran

They specifically targeted a low end spec to make sure the game was playable on a variety of hardware. I love the game btw, it's a perfect laptop game :)

18. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Torchlight runs really well because it has practically no overdraw I suspect (top-down perspective helps with that) and little in the way of pixel shaders... Wonder if the lighting isn't even vertex-based?

19. PARANOiA

Veteran

I love the fact that this game is made to keep the non-adventuring to a minimum. Out of room for loot? Give it to your pet. Your pet out of room? Send him back to town to sell your stuff for you. Richard - why on earth would you prefer to traipse back to town more often? That's the one thing that always bugged me about Bilzzard's games... they seem designed to make you play for longer rather than maximising the fun you have. I get why they do it in WoW (pay by the hour, effectively) but I really hope Diablo 3 learns something from Torchlight's "make it for the gamer" mentality.

Having said that - dual wielding. Is there any point? I picked up two pistols and they fired alternately rather than simultaneously. That's pretty pointless since I have one awesome, fast pistol, and one slow, low powered one. I do more damage with a pistol and shield than dual wielding. That can't be right, right?

20. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I would love for someone to explain the dual wielding math to me. It seems like only enchantments stack and not physical damage. That often results in two high DPS one handers being not much better than one high DPS and one low DPS. It's seems like the only point to dual-wield is to take advantage of the dual wielding skill damage bonus.