Top Industry Figures Muse PS3 (next-gen.biz)

There's some discussion on this breweing in this thread but over there its a bit OT:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30312

My thought on the article was that R. Pitchford's commentary on the Sony online service sounded a almost like an indictment...

I wonder why the Wedbush report doesnt account for the fact that MS could incorporate a BR or HD-DVD drive into the 360 at a later date, even though it would only still play games on DVD. They seem to think that the HD otpicla format is only critical for movies though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely my fault for going off-topic in that thread, this is a much better place for it.

It was an interesting article, nice to hear some varying comments.

Without seeing the full-report, I don't think anything in the article is off, but I'm sure if it is xbd will have a counterpoint ready for us :smile:.

What impact would the price of PS3 have on sales with hardcore gamers? Do you believe there's a price point limit?

I think that the PS3 will be $500, and that the hardcore would pay $600. Above that, there will be huge elasticity, and I think Sony is sophisticated enough to know that. They won't charge more than $600, and I predict that the box debuts at $499.
Exactly what I'm expecting.

> Also of note was WMS' belief that revenue streams associated with online gaming won't
> become a significant source of revenue "until penetration of the next generation
> consoles exceeds 50 percent of the ultimate installed base", which the firm expects to
> occur in late 2008 or early 2009.

I always wonder what Sony would do to accelerate this. There are already 100+ millions of PS2s in this world. Would a re-launched, cheap and better packaged adaptor jumpstart "Pii Online" ?

Back