Top 10 emotive games?

bystander

Regular
I've seen plenty of lists showing the best games, worst games, etc but not a list that covers say games that evoked the most emotional response from you.

By this I mean a game that "makes" you care for the characters (positively or negatively) more than you might usually. Admittedly I don't have 10 games in my list partly because I haven't actually played that many games recently and some of the ones I did didn't lend themselves to this sort of comparison (Civilization 4 for example). Anyway here's my list of 3 in no particular order (I'll try to avoid any spoilers):

Chronotrigger - I always felt compelled to get a "good" ending for the main character.
Final Fantasy 6 - I felt sort of saddened when you learnt how it was going to end after everything they all went through
Half-life 2 - For this game it's more of the presentation of the characters and the way they "acted". They seemed to have some depth, and whole presentation for the NPCs from voice acting to animation is very well executed.

I'm interested to see what everyone else feels.

I would say the MGS series is up there with the best of them, MGS3 specifically having the most emotion out of them.

I hardly feel for game characters - if I have to choose one, I think I`ll go for Oddworld`s Abe.
There are far more games that annoy me with their characters , I want to kill Mario :devilish: but that`s another topic...

For me there is no other game remaining on the positive list after playing Silent Hill 2? :D
That game had my head spinning around, trying to see everything through James (initially hidden) psyche.

On the negative list theres that huge crybaby kratos that feels betrayed after cheating his poor self out of getting slaughtered, offering his soul in the process and getting what he always wanted.

HL2 - very lifelike and realistic characters.
MGS series - every character has a ton of backstory. MGS1 lineup is teh best IMO.
God of War - Even if he dont talk much, he is one badass character...
Team ICO games [Even the horse in SotC has a mind of his own. :) You cant controll him directly, you can only move his reins, and he will do the rest...]

MGS3, Ico and SOTC would be my top three choices.

I'd also say most of the FF games to varying degrees.

I know theres a lot more, but none really come to mind at the moment.

hm...

Final Fantasy 6 - Pretty much all the characters... Everyone had something depressing, or in the case of Mog, Strago and Relm, I thought it was a very... warm and fuzzy feeling.

Max Payne - When he comes home to his family, and later on in the dream sequences (even if they were annoying levels to play), and even when Alex gets shot. It was a nice bit of cinematography.

Halo - When the Master Chief had to "acquire" the command codes from Captain Keyes.

Syberia 1&2.... no comment

Silent Hill 2 - I've only read about the story and people's thoughts and speculations. It's quite depressing. :(

Overall, it's the music that really does it for me.

I would say the MGS series is up there with the best of them, MGS3 specifically having the most emotion out of them.

You must have liked the Boss then.

frankly besides Grannins death i can't think of a single scene that touched me.

personally i think mgs sons of Big boss has the most tear jerk moments in metal gear series , mantis's death scene , snake talking about Grey fox and BB in the jail cell , wolfs death scene , Naomi spilling her heart out , Grey fox's final battle/death scene.

Harry Bensons death scene is in snatcher is also a brilliant piece by koji especially if you had guessed who's Harry's father was.

Final Fantasy 6 and SoTC also had a lot of touching moments .

You must have liked the Boss then.

frankly besides Grannins death i can't think of a single scene that touched me.
I wouldnt put the emotion on a single scene in MGS3. I mean more of the character development of every single good guy and bad guy. Naked snakes love interest, young ocelot, the sorrow, the relation between big boss and naked snake from the time they were on the bridge to the end of the game, raiden humorously turning up indirectly, etc. Emotion isnt just about crying, laughing is included as well.

I'm not saying the other MGS's dont count, cause those were very emotional as well, I just personally felt more attached to MGS3. MGS1 & MGS2 were pretty close.

Well if it includes laughing then We Love Katamari and Locoroco deserve a mention. I personally think Ico and SotC are my top two, with Half Life 2 in a close 3rd for the way the characters play their parts so convincingly (especially the opening half hour with all the oppressed civilians in blue), but I don't think I've beamed from ear to ear for so long as when I played WLK or Locoroco. In fact I feel terrible if any harm comes to the little orange blobs of gelatinous happy. I've only got the demos as well!

If frustration counted as an emotion that'd be a whole new can of worms..

Ico

Kingdom Hearts 1,2

Shadow of Colossus

MGS1,2,3

Final Fantasy 7, 8

These are the ones I can think of for now

Well if it includes laughing then We Love Katamari and Locoroco deserve a mention. I personally think Ico and SotC are my top two, with Half Life 2 in a close 3rd for the way the characters play their parts so convincingly (especially the opening half hour with all the oppressed civilians in blue), but I don't think I've beamed from ear to ear for so long as when I played WLK or Locoroco. In fact I feel terrible if any harm comes to the little orange blobs of gelatinous happy. I've only got the demos as well!

If frustration counted as an emotion that'd be a whole new can of worms..
I think of it more as a movie/cinematic experience with bad/good actors that make you laugh or cry or whatever using their acting skills to deliver the emotion. To turn your post into an analogy, I think you are talking about a stand up comedy where it's purpose is solely to be fun and funny.

Since the topic is "emo" I wonder why people don't list more Japanese RPGs because that's what they are :smile:

I would go for FF7 and ICO.
Fahrenheit also. SH2 near the end. Run Like Hell had a few good moments too, as also did The Thing.

Back