Tomb Raider and Toby Gard

pixelbox

Regular
Toby was involved with the original Tomb Raider then quit Core(the company that made Tomb Raider). He's back for the new sequel so i was wondering how much is he involved with Tomb Raider Legend?

I ask because the animation looks a little off. As she shoots her pistols, it just looks so cheesy. I think the first tomb raider animates better.

IMHO
I think the flaws in animation are going to be the thing that really stands out in the new generation console games. The more realistic graphics get, the more critical people will become of animations.

You sort of expect a stick man to not have realistic movement but when you see a character that more or less looks real it can be quite disturbing (especially faces) when the animation is not right.

madmartyau said:
IMHO
I think the flaws in animation are going to be the thing that really stands out in the new generation console games. The more realistic graphics get, the more critical people will become of animations.

You sort of expect a stick man to not have realistic movement but when you see a character that more or less looks real it can be quite disturbing (especially faces) when the animation is not right.

Before realistic animations, i think the physical interaction of objects (visible and not, like wind, fluids, etc) are more of a priority and a critical aspect of a solid experience, if we have that, we can have realistic animations that don't clip meshes erraticly shimmering and bouncing in awckaward situations.

doob said:
Before realistic animations, i think the physical interaction of objects (visible and not, like wind, fluids, etc) are more of a priority and a critical aspect of a solid experience, if we have that, we can have realistic animations that don't clip meshes erraticly shimmering and bouncing in awckaward situations.

I apologize in advance for this lame joke, but I do hope we get bouncing meshes in Tomb Raider: Legends...

I don't know, it's just the way lara handles her guns. I looks too fake compared to the other animations. And i agree with madmartyau, but this can be fixed. especially if a ps1 game animates better than a next gen sequel. I did some research and found that Toby is a senior designer so hopefully he designs more than characters. But for the most part he looks to be the missing piece to the tomb raider series, i get the same feeling i got from the early games. I just hope they can fix the jump and shoot animations.

BTW, they do jiggle!;)

I still can't get over the fact how much Core ruined the Tomb Raider series. Tomb Raider was once my favorite game... and continued that for me with Tomb Raider 2. Tomb Raider 3 unfortunately - although not much worse - somewhat left me underwhelmed. I never completed it. Tomb Raider 4 looked alright... never completed that one either. Never bought 5 and 6.

:???:

Phil said:
I still can't get over the fact how much Core ruined the Tomb Raider series. Tomb Raider was once my favorite game... and continued that for me with Tomb Raider 2. Tomb Raider 3 unfortunately - although not much worse - somewhat left me underwhelmed. I never completed it. Tomb Raider 4 looked alright... never completed that one either. Never bought 5 and 6.

:???:
Be glad you didn't play TR6. Oh god that was bad. Anyway, TR is why i play games, every time i look for a game i look for action adventure but i alway get burned no matter how good it is. That game changed the way i look at games.:cry:

To me there are only 2 (soon 3) Tomb Raider titles:
Tomb Raider (the original)
Tomb Raider Arrange (Tomb Raider 2)
And soon Tomb Raider Legend...

The first was new, and it was cool but the camera was annoying, the second was the first made 'right', and that's it.

pixelbox said:
Be glad you didn't play TR6. Oh god that was bad. Anyway, TR is why i play games, every time i look for a game i look for action adventure but i alway get burned no matter how good it is. That game changed the way i look at games.:cry:

I actually have a copy of TR6 at home, which was included as a free copy with my Audigy2 soundcard... had a quick go, but didn't like what I saw, so I deleted it and never touched it since. A mighty shame really. Actually, I might throw in Tomb Raider 2, 3 and perhaps 4 into my PS2 and see how far I get. I do remember getting stuck in 4 though.. after playing for about 8 hours. Since it seemed like a buggy mess of a game, I assumed it was another bug and gave up. :-/

chroniceyestrain said:
Toby Gard is interviewed in the new episode of the 1up show. He was brought on later in the development of the new Tomb Raider as a creative consultant and advised on the character design and the script. Its a good interview if you are/were a fan of Tomb Raider.

check it out http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147738
I like what i see but, sigh, there's three things that bother me:
1.I wish the animations for her flipping were better. That or slower, something looks wrong. They need a new animator.
2. I think Toby should have be called eariler and he should have more authority.
3.Music. Nathan McCree needs to be called back. He's just brilliant!
Once those things can be adressed, then and only then will Tomb Raider be back.

Phil said:
I actually have a copy of TR6 at home, which was included as a free copy with my Audigy2 soundcard... had a quick go, but didn't like what I saw, so I deleted it and never touched it since. A mighty shame really. Actually, I might throw in Tomb Raider 2, 3 and perhaps 4 into my PS2 and see how far I get. I do remember getting stuck in 4 though.. after playing for about 8 hours. Since it seemed like a buggy mess of a game, I assumed it was another bug and gave up. :-/

It was Tomb Raider that brought me back to videogaming after 7 years away.

I missed the whole 16bit era, selling my Commodore64 in 1989.

I picked up a PSOne Christmas 1996 just to play Tom Raider.

Anyway, not much of a fan of TR2 or TR3. But I thought TR4 was a very good return to form for the series. They focused on one location (Egypt) and one well thought out story with a killer ending. It was a bit buggy, but there were some classic gaming moments as good as the Lost Valley in TR1.

Nick Laslett said:
It was Tomb Raider that brought me back to videogaming after 7 years away.

I missed the whole 16bit era, selling my Commodore64 in 1989.

I picked up a PSOne Christmas 1996 just to play Tom Raider.

Anyway, not much of a fan of TR2 or TR3. But I thought TR4 was a very good return to form for the series. They focused on one location (Egypt) and one well thought out story with a killer ending. It was a bit buggy, but there were some classic gaming moments as good as the Lost Valley in TR1.
I thought the levels in TR4 was too small. Also, it was a little boring and uninspired. What i like about the first on was the huge levels and fighting animal enemies, basically the action parts. I loved being scared by the animals(wolves and the aliens were the best!)

Only Tomb Raider I liked was TR3 (First chapter begings in a Jungle in NE India :smile:), and I bought it with my PS1.

Deepak said:
Only Tomb Raider I liked was TR3 (First chapter begings in a Jungle in NE India :smile:), and I bought it with my PS1.
Remember that jungle song remix of one of TR1 songs? I tell ya that song took me to a different place! Yeah that game was pretty good.

Back