Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Jupiter

Veteran
"You are a Ghost, an elite spec ops soldier. Put your skills to test against your toughest enemy yet - your own brothers-in-arms. Play Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint when it launches on PS4, Xbox One, and PC on October 4, 2019. Pre-order now for guaranteed access to the beta."

Official Announce Trailer | Ubisoft [NA]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLWt9MQLVgU

Official Gameplay Walkthrough | Ubisoft [NA]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHGqvV0qRg

World Premiere Livestream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHGqvV0qRg

I find the scenario very appealing. This time it also seems to be more survival-heavy. They appear to pick up on the story published in Wildlands last week. Since WIldlands has been getting updaes regularly the long-term support is likely to be great again. For Honor and Reinbox Six Siege are also constantly geting new content.

Last edited:
I don't get it. Looks like a single-player story version of Ghost Recon but these companies don't really do big games that can't be monetized live services.

Wildlands was four player co-op with constant updates and paid DLC through the life of the game. I'm sure this will be likewise.

Since yesterday a closed Beta to Breakpoint takes place. The difference to the first game is clear in many points. Sometimes one can only hide. Moving consumes stamina etc.. Mountaineering is fun and a wrong step could cause one to roll down deeply and die. The animations are very good for such a game. Characters, clothing and animations were bad with the predecessor but are much better now. Of course the characters look avergare in detail but in gameplay it works. Visually, the game is another big leap at ultra (a lot more than expected). For that it needs enormous amount of gpu performance where no other game comes close at all. The TAA is blurred and FullHD it's not enough. The grass and amount of objects goes enormously far. Without TAA such a game would not be bearable to look at. It can be said that the materials look very realistic overall. This game looks completly different from AC (which uses a similar enginel).

The mood in the game is gloomy. It reminds of The Birds or Take Shelter. Somewhat doomsday and not cheerful or anything. This is also due to the dark music. There are also robots, drones etc. that move around and they make terrifying noises.

Last edited:
This game looks like something that might interest me, single player, no squad of robo-friends to organise, big area to discover, can play stealth or otherwise. Only problem is I'm not big on third person perspective, I find it dis-orientating trying to control. Pity it isn't 1st person.

At

The rush animation at least is much better. Ubisoft has struggled with animation the entire generation.

And that was in a pursuit of better feeling gameplay, so it's for the right reasons at least.

How does a company like Ubisoft struggle with animations when 90% of their games are 3rd person action with lots of traversal and complex moves, and they've literally been doing the same thing for decades.

For Honor, Watch Dogs 2 and The Division 2 have good animations while Wildlands has very poor ones. From Division 1 to 2 they made a noticeable progress in this area. The step between Wildlands and Breakpoint is even bigger.

Breakpoint had excellent main character animations in the beta. The quality (and lag) reminded me of RDR2. It was a bit difficult to climb spiral staircases.

Last edited:
And that was in a pursuit of better feeling gameplay, so it's for the right reasons at least.

Ya, they just seem to be a bit behind the curve. The animations often look very unnatural and movement is somewhat off putting.

I played the beta.

+extremely many options
+there's even a mode that doesn't display waypoints. For missions there is just a text which says something like "meet in area xyxy in northeast direction". You have to search by yourself.
+for the HUD alone there are approximately 50 things you can adjust
+visuals, sound and control can also be adjusted very precisely

+new mechanics are convincing but the survival aspect should be deepened significantly
+weapons, equipment, etc. can be heavily modified
+AI has been improved and the drones and robots bring variety into the fights
+the combat drones sometimes fly very fast and that looks impressive
+many possibilities to complete missions

+better animations
+character models look much better
+extensive graphic improvements

-there are visible pop-ups unlike in the predecessor
-in contrast to Wildlands the graphics at a distance is no longer as overwhelming
-some urban areas and outposts look great while others look empty and boring
-compared to the predecessor the climate zones and biotopes are not so realistic and the transitions are abrupt
-always online
-AI in combat could still be better (see The Division 2)
-the transitions to the cutscenes are not fluid
-some stupid dialogs and cutscenes
-I dont't see the need for RPG mechanics with gear level etc.

= coop expeience is the best I know
= for the best experience the difficulty level should be as high as possible with any HUD elements deactivated

Maybe I will come up with more points bit by bit.

Last edited:
Ubisoft went super-sayan on microtransactions and pay-to-win for Breakpoint apparently:
  • The usual standard edition, gold edition, ultimate edition and the usual version with the physical statue etc
  • Yearly season pass
  • In-game store with:
    • Some kind of battle rewards booster
    • Many types of guns (bundles or single)
    • Blueprints for guns
    • Multiple levels of upgrades for guns
    • Various attachments for guns (bundles or single)
    • Various cosmetic apparel and equipment
    • Melee weapons
    • Gear camo and paint
    • Skill point packs
    • Vehicles
    • Skell points (to buy in-game stuff that isn't available in the store directly)
So you can pay Ubisoft to play the game, and then pay them lots more to not play the game. At least there's no loot boxes yet! Right?

Why is this pay to win? Most of what you can buy in the ingame shop is also available for free in the game and there is (as dae as I have seen) even nothing shop exclusive but only cosmetic stuff. If I could make money with people who want to buy stuff with additional money then I do that. This also leads to an even greater choice of vehicles, clothing, etc. in the game.

In the short beta a few days ago many players were able to buy some of the most expensive items like tanks in the game. Money comes fast in this game. In addition Ubisoft games get new content long after release. Wildlands have been patched with new free missions etc. until recently. Other games without microtransactions will mostly not receive any free and new content. Especially not after more than two years after release.

I think it's ridiculous that most of the YouTubers who are bothered by this stuff also want to have money from donations. What do they offer for 15 euros a month? Usually only useless garbage.

Last edited:
Why is this pay to win? Most of what you can buy in the ingame shop is also available for free in the game and there is nothing shop-exclusivelye but only cosmetic items.
The concept of pay-to-win is that you can purchase gameloop-affecting items in a shop for real money rather than grinding through the game's mechanics and normal gameplay loop to earn them. I'm not sure how this isn't pay-to-win? Especially with skill point purchases and weapon upgrades. I can literally start the game and progress to a point that likely someone would have to spend weeks/months playing at any normal rate to earn those. The argument that most of the items can be earned in-game doesn't exclude it from being a pay-to-win game.

You know that you can still enjoy the game and what they've created and not feel it's necessary to defend the company and the decisions they make on-high to fleece as much money from consumers as possible far beyond what is needed to support the game. You're not required to feel any loyalty to Ubisoft. You seem uncomfortable with the idea that this game is pay-to-win though, I guess because of the stigma around the label.

I always wanted to try Wildlands and would consider Breakpoint but without a good group of friends to play with I don't think it would be a very good experience for me.

Ironically in a game like this paying for things instead of earning them typically makes it less fun.

Back